Told at 12 weeks blighted ovum, found baby at 18 weeks!

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

Told at 12 weeks blighted ovum, found baby at 18 weeks!

Postby Shelley » Sat May 28, 2005 11:28 am

Hi Everyone,
I just found this website by accident and I thought I'd share my story. It's very long so I apologize in advance! I hope I don't bore you to tears.

In September 1995 I got married. My husband and I decided that after the wedding we wanted to try to start a family. We ended up pregnant by January of 1996. We were so excited until at about 8 weeks I started hemmoraging and went to the hospital. They did an U/S and determined that I had lost the baby. I had to have an emergency D&C because of the bleeding. They told us we should wait 3 months before trying again and that most likely next time would be fine. Most people go on to have a healthy pregnancy after a miscarriage. We did exactly as told and 4 months later we got pregnant again! This time we were really nervous and rightfully so. At about 8 weeks I ended up losing that baby too. That time I miscarried naturally and didn't need a D&C. My doctor still didn't want to do any testing because they like to wait until you've had 3 miscarriages. We tried for a year to get pregnant again but my cycles were messed up. I would go 4 or more months without any sign of a period. They finally determined that I was not ovulating so rather that go on fertility meds and risk a multiple birth & another loss we just decided to adopt. In 1998 we adopted a beautiful baby boy. He's been great ever since and we love having him!

From about 1997 until February 2004 my husband and I went on with life as usual. Never using any kind of protection while having sex because we figured I wasn't able to conceive. Last year in March of 2004 I suddenly started feeling extremely sick. After vomiting for 2 weeks I went to my family doctor and told her I couldn't figure out what was wrong with me. She asked if it was possible that I was pregnant. I said "No, I don't ovulate" She did a blood pregnancy test anyway. The next day she called me and said that I was pregnant and by my HCG levels she would guess about 6 weeks along. I was thrilled but scared. We decided to tell our families but we told them not to get too excited yet. I scheduled an appointment with my OB/GYN for about 2 weeks later when I should have been around 8 weeks. He decided to schedule an U/S to date the pregnancy. The U/S tech told us that she saw nothing but not to worry because it was early and I had an extremely tilted uterus. They scheduled another U/S for 2 weeks later. We said OK and went home. 2 weeks later we went in hoping to see a baby and once again she saw nothing.They scheduled another U/S for 2 weeks later and meanwhile they drew blood to check my HCG levels for 1 week. Even though my levels were rising they were no where near doubling so I was told to expect another miscarriage. I was upset but prepared. 2 weeks later I went in and had my U/S (this time it was done at the hospital where they had better machines) Unfortunately the U/S lady there also saw nothing. She said I should have been about 12 weeks and since my levels weren't rising like they should have been my body most likely reabsorbed the baby. She told me at 12 weeks even with a tilted uterus she would have seen something. I was so upset that I cried for days. We told our families that we lost this baby too.
For the next few weeks I tried to lose the belly fat I had gained while I was pregnant. I was dieting and exercising. It wouln't do away. I started getting heartburn all the time and I suddenly got a terrible Urinary Tract Infection. About 6 weeks after the horrible 12 week U/S I went to the doctor for the UTI. While asking questions she asked about my LMP. I told her I din't have one since before I was pregnant. She said OK. I told her about my body reabsorbing the baby and I also complained of constant heartburn. I mentioned that I couldn't seem to lose the weight either. In fact I had gained weight and my jeans would not even fit anymore. She said she wondered if somehow I got pregnant again immediately after I lost the baby even though I never even had any bleeding at all. She did another pregnancy test and felt my stomach. She said my uterus was very large and she thought the test would be positive. She called the next day and confirmed that I was pregnant. She scheduled an ultrasound at the hospital for the next day and when I got there I didn't know what to expect! The U/S lady took me into the room and as soon as she started the U/S she told me that there was a baby in there. She dated the pregnancy and I was 18 weeks and 6 days!!! I couldn't believe it! I even found out it was a girl that day! I was so excited to go home and call my family and say that my body did NOT reabsorb the baby! No wonder I couldn't lose weight! LOL The U/S tech told me that the only reason that she could think of that they couldn't see the baby was that my uterus was extremely tilted! They never did understand why my HCG levels wouldn't double! Anyway, In November of 2004 I delivered a healthy 6 lb. 10 oz baby girl by C-Section!
Another good thing that came out of this is now my cycles seem to be back to normal! I am ovulating every month again!! My husband and I are thinking of trying for 1 more next year but I will refuse any ultrasound until at least 18 weeks!

Sorry, It was such a long story but I just want all of you ladies to know!!! NEVER, NEVER, NEVER Give up hope!!

Shelley
Last edited by Shelley on Sat May 28, 2005 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shelley
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Sat May 28, 2005 11:35 am

Wow Shelley, I am absolutely speechless. We have another lady here who was more than 12 weeks before she could see her baby as well.

Congratulations to you. These stories are rare but they make you realize anything can happen. Wow is all I can say. Congratulations on that baby girl and thank you so much for sharing.

Kay :heart:
Kay

Postby Lark » Sat May 28, 2005 3:38 pm

Wow! I have got chill bumps on my chill bumps! That is a miraculous story! Thank you so much for taking the time to share that with us. It will bring hope to many whose doctors are dooming their pregnancies. I believe you've just saved the lives of many babies of women who will read your story and wait instead of giving in to their doctors demands for a d&c! God bless you and your little miracle!

Lark
Lark

Postby Mom In Waiting » Sat May 28, 2005 3:51 pm

What an AWESOME story!!! I know your story will surely have an impact on those not sure whether to wait things out or not! I am so sorry for all your losses, but so excited that you finally were able to get pregnant on your own and had your little miracle girl!!! I bet she is such a blessing to you all. What a blessing it was for you also, to adopt a baby! I think it's wonderful that people have it in their hearts so much love for children and they adopt a child and give them probably the best gift ever (a Mom and Dad!). Congratulations to you and your family and thank you so much for sharing your story with us. and btw... I don't think it could possible bore anyone to tears, it was like reading a good novel, and I couldn't wait for the ending! So glad it was a happy one! Blessings to you all, Cyndi :heart:
Angel Baby #1 6/00 (10wks)
Angel Baby #2 1/01 (12wks)
Birth of Samuel Lee 7/26/02!!!!
Angel#3 "Jeremy" 11/04 (17wks)
Alicia Kathryn Born 7/6/06!!!!!
Mom In Waiting

Postby Kay » Sat May 28, 2005 4:37 pm

Cyndi, I agree, this was like a novel with twists and turns at every corner. I was wondering if this really belonged on the misdiagnosed board and then, Voila!, I was not disappointed. Quite a story and what an awesome ending! I need to update the main page with this link because this is a must read. :yay:

Kay :heart:
Kay

Postby Lovinmom » Sat May 28, 2005 5:42 pm

What a wonderful story! I just love these! Thank you so much for sharing with us. This just proves how a tilted uterus can hide a baby. I have even heard from a OB nurse that it can take up until the second trimester to see the baby in a severely tilted uterus. Yours was certainly the case! Congratulations on your beautiful baby. We wish you well on your next pregnancy. Keep us posted with any new news.

Lovinmom :heart:
Lovinmom

Postby coco » Sat May 28, 2005 8:06 pm

Shelly, that's amazing!!!! Congrats! :yay:
coco
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Shelley » Sat May 28, 2005 8:58 pm

Thank you everyone for all of your great replies! I will be sure to keep you updated when we decide to have another baby! We truly think our baby girl is a miracle! I just hope that some of the ladies here will not lose hope! You never know what could happen!

Shelley
Shelley
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Bambi » Sat May 28, 2005 9:10 pm

WOW!! That's a great story! Thanks for sharing! I hope you next pregnancy is problem free! :yay:

Bambi
Bambi

Isabella born 10/05/05

Her first tooth popped through on Mothers Day!! :D
Bambi
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Adria » Tue May 31, 2005 10:40 pm

Your story really gives me hope when I desperately need it the most. Congrats and God Bless! :cheer:
Adria
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Shelley's story

Postby Hopeful Mommy » Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:47 pm

Hi Shelley,
Thank you for sharing your story. For a minute there, I thought I was reading my own story. I, too, have had several miscarriages and I was told that there is a 99% chance that I am going to loose this one too. I am 11 weeks, 3 days pregnant and I was told last week that I have a blighted ovum. We can see the gestational sac AND the yolk sac, but no baby. I have had 4 ultra sounds and everything is growing like normal, but they just can't see the baby. She even told me that my uterus was very tilted. She told me that when my husband and I come back, we will have to make a decision as to whether or not to do a D&C. I am willing to wait it out as long as I don't see any signs of infection as we have been ttc for 4 years now and I really want this one to work. I am sick as ever and I still have sore, tender breast and I sleep all of the time. I am assuming that these are good signs. Thank you again for "stumbling" upon this website (I, personally, don't think it was an accident). Everything happens for a reason and I must let you know that you have given me hope beyond compare. THANK YOU!
Hopeful Mommy
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Bambi » Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:16 pm

Hi Hopeful Mommy,
I am so glad you found this website. I am praying that you are right and you don't miscarry!! Please keep us updated!!

Bambi
Bambi

Isabella born 10/05/05

Her first tooth popped through on Mothers Day!! :D
Bambi
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Hopeful Mommy » Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:16 pm

Thank you for your prayers Bambi! I really appreciate them very much. :smile:
Hopeful Mommy
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Told at 12 weeks blighted ovum, found baby at 18 weeks

Postby jairis » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:04 am

[b]Shelley[/b]
Hi my name is camille. Today I had my first US at 11 weeks. There was no baby, no heartbeat. I ve been researching since i got back from the doctor 12 hrs ago. Yeah! Im going nuts! this is my first baby! But after reading your story I have a little hope! Thanks! Thats all i can say :)O
jairis
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby confusedbecky » Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:00 pm

Oh Shelley, I want to let you know that your story is an inspiration to me. I am in a similar situation right now. I went in at 12wks and US tech could not find HB. Said baby measured only 9 wks. I have been holding off a D & C since. I have no symptom of miscarriage and tummy seems to get bigger now. I have not been in to see a dr yet. I was totally convinced about a miscarriage until I start reading this website and found your story. I am now 16 wks 2 days. I also have a tilted uterus. I need some support, please give me all the advice and payer. I am sooooo stressed out and can not think about anything but this issue. HELP ME!

Becky
confusedbecky
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby NicoleSwackhamer » Thu May 25, 2006 2:34 pm

Oh this one made me cry I am so happy for you.I keep praying I will be as lucky as you :)
NicoleSwackhamer
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby babysir11907 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:57 pm

WOW, Shelly. You give me soooooooooooo much hope. Thank You so much for sharing your story. I will NOT get a D&C unless i have signs of infection!!!! Thank you so much!
babysir11907
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby dlaysia » Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:58 pm

B) :)8 WOW ALL I CAN SAY IS PRAISE GOD!!!!!! THE LORD IS GOOD AND HIS MERCY ENDUERETH FOREVER!!! WHAT AN AMAZING AND ENCOURAGING STORY!!! IM AT 25 WEEKS NOW AND I TRUST AND BELIEVE I WILL ALSO HAVE A HEALTHY BABY IN SPITE OF MY PAST !!!!!
I've come this far by Faith......
dlaysia
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

you gave me hope

Postby mariegsalas » Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:29 pm

wow, you gave me hope with your story, i shed tears,
i also have long cycle, like 45,50,53,
my lmp was oct 25, 2006, i had my pregnancy test 12/11/06 and it was positive, my beta hcg then was 6500, i went to the dr 12/14/06 and had u/s, but they couldn't see anything, except that there's like a sac but not 100%. they told me to have another hcg that day and it was 11300,
they told me its likely a blighted ovum, i remember about 5yrs before they told me that i have retroverted uterus,
my husband and i accpeted that we might lose the baby, but now u gave me hope again.
mariegsalas
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Meg » Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:21 pm

Dear marie, so sorry you are going thruogh this scare hun. I will keep you in my prayers. With a hcg of 6500 it is safe to guess you were maybe into your fifth week tops that day. Was your second hcg 2 days later? if so then you are almost doubling. Which is a good thing. Are you sheduled for another ultrasound? I'm thinking they will see a yolk sac on your next ultrasound if you were in the 4-5 week range like I think, all they SHOULD see is a sac at that point. Please hang in there and it does not hurt to get a second opinion if your doctor starts pushing you to D and C
Keep me posted. You are in my prayers
God Bless
Meg
Mother of Five Sons
Survivor of 3 Miscarriages by the Grace of God
Meg

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child
Next

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories