Beware of early U/S - misdiagnosed B/O

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

Beware of early U/S - misdiagnosed B/O

Postby conrad » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:29 pm

I originally went in at approx 5 weeks and 4 days for my 1st u/s b/c I got pregnant on Femara (similar to Clomid). My fertility doc is far from the sensitive type - very clinical and to the point without giving false hope. With that said I had a transvaginal u/s and all they could see was the gestational sac and yolk sac but no baby. He kept saying "it is a pretty good sized yolk sac and we should see a baby by now. The good news is that we know you can get pregnant. Your chances are approx 50% of having a blighted ovum. Come back in one week and we will perform a 2nd u/s." Needless to say I was stunned and confused and was an emotional wreck. I cried for the next 24 hours, scoured the internet and found this site. I've read so many uplifting and encouraging stories that kept me sane (well, as much as possible) and positive.

on 12/17 I go in for my 2nd u/s with my heart beating practically out of my chest. I was so scared to look at the monitor for fear of what I wouldn't see this go round. The doc was asking me if I still felt bad - all I could say was that I was an emotional wreck. He said "are your breasts sore, are you nauseas." I replied "yes." and he said "That's a good sign." Again, I'm not feeling his compassion at all. Then in a matter of seconds he says "See that equal sign flashing? That's the babies heartbeat!" Everything measured appropriately according to size and age....I was 6 weeks 5 days (+/- a day or two). I was elated!

Fortunately I only had to wait one week before I found out the great news....but I was prepared to fight the doc until at least the 10th week if he didn't see anything at the 2nd u/s.

Moral of the story - save yourself the heartache and wait until 6, 7 or better yet 8 weeks until your first u/s. I know it is agonizing to wait - but it is even worse when they are such pessimists and "misdiagnose" you when it is too early. Why couldn't my doc have just said that "Oh, it is to early to see anything."???? Why, oh why, did he even have to utter the words Blighted Ovum and send me over the edge!!!!!

Best wishes and Merry Christmas to everyone!!!!
conrad
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby butterdragons » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:20 pm

Merry Christmas to you and happy to hear your happy outcome. :) :) :)
Shawna--33 yo married SAHM
2 boys and a princess: Jake (6), Daniel (4), Eden (17 mos)
3 little angels in heaven
butterdragons
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby cat80 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:19 pm

Ohh I would so agree butterdragons. If I had waited one more week to get my US, I would not have had to have gone through this past week.

My similar story can be seen here:
http://www.misdiagnosedmiscarriage.com/ ... php?t=9854

Congrats :) I am so happy for you!
cat80
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby PinkGlitter » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:34 am

OMG conrad CONGRATS :)8, that is sooooo amazing!! I am SO hoping that I'll be able to come back on here and post my misdiagnosed miscarriage story, just like all of you ladies have done.

I agree about the early ultrasounds...I just don't understand how they can do an u/s at 4-6 weeks and diagnose a miscarriage already. I feel they should give it more time.

Well congrats again, that is such wonderful news. Thanks so much for the update, this is so very encouraging E>
PinkGlitter
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby chele » Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:38 pm

Thank you so much for posting your story! I went to the doctor's very early in this pregnancy for spotting. They did a U/S and found a sac with no baby. A week later I went back and there is now a sac and a baby but no heartbeat. I'm only 6 weeks. So now I have to wait another week to see if there is a heartbeat. It has been an emotionally draining week. Thank you for sharing, you've given me hope that maybe everything is ok.
Michele
Mom to Hadley (23 week preemie) and Noah
chele
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:51 am

Wonderful news! I wish doctors would not perform early ultrasounds at all unless there is risk of ectopic. They would save so many women these heartaches and this site could just shut down. I would love to have a day when this site is no longer needed and women were no longer misdiagnosed or scared unnecessarily.

Congrats!
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories