My Misdiagnosed Miscarriage

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

My Misdiagnosed Miscarriage

Postby AlexM » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:13 pm

This has been without a doubt the most insane week of my life.
I'm 25, with no health problems, and no previous miscarriages, and a tilted uterus. My husband and I have been tried for about 3 months to get pregnant, and about 3 weeks ago we got a positive urine test. Initial tests were all completely normal, HCG level was good within those early week, and my symptoms were all normal.
On Monday I had a dating ultrasound, my first ultrasound. I have a very irregular period, so although I knew I was between 6-8 weeks I wanted something a little more concrete. The technician couldn't seem to find my embryo (within the whole 5 minutes she spent looking) so she sent in the radiologist. The radiologist honestly spent even less time, I'd say about 2 minutes before informing me that I had Blighted Ovum and that I was miscarrying. She looked me in the eye and said it was without a doubt a miscarriage, absolutely no chance of it being otherwise, and that there was without any doubt absolutely no embryo. When my doctor got the results he went over my options with me. I asked if I should have my HCG leveled tested, he said the ultrasound was positive that it was a miscarriage, and that there was no reason to test my HCG at that point. I said I wanted to miscarry naturally. I was having no signs of miscarriage up till that point, and didnt want to take misoprotone. He said I should wait a week but if at any point I wanted to induce the miscarriage he would write me the perscription.
I was a wreck. For 3 days I locked myself in my room and cried. On thursday I was exhausted and had accepted my miscarriage and called my doctor for the perscription, which he said I was suppose to take that night. That afternoon my mother actually recommended that I go to see a family friend who was a doctor before she immigrated and became an ultrasound technician, just for a second opinion. She put a triangular pillow underneath my back (to untilt my uterus I guess). And 30 seconds into the ultrasound to everyones shock we saw the embryo (with a little heartbeat). Today I went to my doctor's office, ultrasound photo in hand and demanded an HCG test, which he sent out stat and managed to get the results this afternoon. My HCG is over 46,000. They have taken back their diagnosis of an inevitable miscarriage, and have told me that as of right now everything looks normal and healthy. I'm having a follow up ultrasound next week to check on the heart beat but as of right now everything looks good.
I found this site today while waiting for my HCG results. Once I read the BO FAQ section it rang so true and reassured me so much.
Next week I have a meeting with heads of the OBGYN department, and the radiologist who diagnosed my "miscarriage". I am beyond angry at this hospital.
Tomorrow I will send my family friend ultrasound technician flowers.
If you ever find yourself, or hear about someone in this situation, please tell them to wait a week and get a second opinion. I'm so happy I went with my gut and didnt take those pills right away.
AlexM
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby MOMOF4SOONTOBE#5 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:35 pm

AlexM,
I am so sorry for your heart ache. So many of us women have been through similar situations with good outcomes (I wounder about all of the women that trust their doctor has the correct answer and ends their unknowingly healthy pregnancy). I wish more doctors read this web site.

Congratulations!!! Please keep us posted.

Mother to 4 beautiful children and 8 weeks pregnant with my 5th baby which was misdiagnosed as a miscarriage then an ectopic pregnancy due 7/16/08 saw baby and HB 11/26 and 12/3
Jennifer mother to:
DS age 11, DD age 8,
DD age 6, DD age 4
DS Born 6/9/08
MOMOF4SOONTOBE#5
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby namaste11 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:59 pm

Congratulations to you! I hope everything continues smoothly and that you'll keep us updated. I also hope, in addition to having a meeting with those OB/GYNs, you'll call your state medical board and see if there are any kinds of sanctions for that kind of behavior.

E> Andy
Andy (38) and Jack (36)
Anna Kate (7y) Jacqueline (5y) Alexandra (2y) Samantha (2y) Vanessa (newborn)
5 precious souls in heaven playing with our dog McKinley
namaste11
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:03 am

Oh my goodness. I am so relieved you found your baby. What a blessing your friend is. Did you ever meet with those folks at the hospital? Too many doctors (and women) think miscarriages are never misdiagnosed. We need to let them know they are and much too frequently.

Congrats!
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories