High HCG's & Low Progesterone=misdiagnosed blighted ovum

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

High HCG's & Low Progesterone=misdiagnosed blighted ovum

Postby nikkyxo » Thu May 26, 2005 1:15 pm

I found out that I was pregnant the friday before mother's day of 2005. I made an appointment with my OB for my first appointment 2 weeks later I was measuring 6 weeks 5 days at the time of my appointment. The doctor did and U/S and informed me that she could not see the baby. She told me that I was likely to miscarry and told me that if the bleeding got really bad that I should come in. She made it seem like there was no hope. She also ordered blood work to check out my hcg and progesterone levels. On wed. they were in the 24,000 and on friday they were in the 42,000 my progesterone levels were low. She wanted to schecule another u/s exactly 1 week after my first u/s. It was the most agonizing tormenting week of my life I felt lost and scared and didn't understand why this was happening. I couldn't eat and I cried all the time. The OB had been so quick to diagnose a miscariage and gave me the feeling that there was no hope. Every cramp I felt I thought that was it that I was not going to have this baby. I called so many OB's and I got all the same answers, it was too early to tell that there wouldn't be anything to see in the u/s in the first place and that I should not stress because that was bad in itself. I went in for my appointment and I asked about having a retroverted uterus, she said that that was a possibility and that she really thought that it was a blighted ovum. She did the U/S and there it was, my baby beating heart and all. I broke down into tears as I saw that. She said that I was right about having a retroverted Uterus. The baby was only measuring 6weeks 5 days, according to her but according to our calculations I should have been 7 weeks 5 days, but only time will tell as we have all read I am sure, that having a retoroverted uterus will sometimes make the U/S off by a week or so until we are further along. I am just so thankfull that God has given me what I see as a second chance to be a mother. I wish that Doctors could be a little more compassionate and not give us a diagnosis that they arent sure of. I hope that this brings some hope to other women that are experiencing the same torment that some of us have gone through here. Good Luck girls, and believe in the power of prayer.
nikkyxo
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Mom In Waiting » Thu May 26, 2005 1:55 pm

Wow! What a wonderful testimony of the compassion and grace of God! I think you should write a praise report for that board, too!!! You will be in my thoughts and prayers as you continue with your pregnancy. Do you have any other children or is this your first! Either way, Congratulations!!!! Please keep us posted and thank you for sharing your story. It will be a blessing to someone in this same situation someday! Blessings,Cyndi :heart:
Angel Baby #1 6/00 (10wks)
Angel Baby #2 1/01 (12wks)
Birth of Samuel Lee 7/26/02!!!!
Angel#3 "Jeremy" 11/04 (17wks)
Alicia Kathryn Born 7/6/06!!!!!
Mom In Waiting

Postby Kay » Thu May 26, 2005 1:55 pm

Nicole, I am so glad you shared your story. Thank you. I am just excited for you. I broke down in tears when we found my baby too and after such a rollercoaster of emotions while waiting, it was certainly deserved.

Hopefully your doctor learned a valuable lesson and will be less likely to stress women out. I really believe that without all these stories on the web, doctors would just give up and women didn't know they could wait out the diagnosis so there was never any doubt. Now we see misdiagnosed cases quite a bit and hopefully doctors will take notice but, even if they don't, we KNOW we can have a say in our care.

Finally, let me just say:

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:
:jive: :jive: :jive:
:yay: :yay: :yay:

I really am thrilled for you.

God bless.
Kay :heart:
Kay

Postby Lark » Thu May 26, 2005 7:49 pm

:yay: Yipeeeee, Nicloe! :yay:
What a blessing!
:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:
God is sooooooo good!
:jive: :jive: :jive: :jive: :jive: :jive: :jive:
Congratulations! I'll be praying for your little miracle!

God bless

Lark
Lark

Postby rmclaren » Tue May 31, 2005 5:54 pm

Hi.
What a wonderful and uplifting bit of news. I am currently experiencing the same thing you were, I have been told I have a blighted ovum and that I am going to miscarry. I am going for another u/s on Thursday, and I am PRAYING that a little miracle is sitting there waiting to be seen. I hope I can share the same news that you have shared here. Congratulations, and good luck.
Mag
rmclaren
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Mom In Waiting » Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:51 am

Mag,
Been following all your posts from you and your hubby (who sound so sweet by the way). Keeping you and your little one in my thoughts and prayers as you wait til thursday for your u/s. I hope and pray that they will have good news for you! Please keep us posted. Blessings, Cyndi :heart:
Angel Baby #1 6/00 (10wks)
Angel Baby #2 1/01 (12wks)
Birth of Samuel Lee 7/26/02!!!!
Angel#3 "Jeremy" 11/04 (17wks)
Alicia Kathryn Born 7/6/06!!!!!
Mom In Waiting

Postby Tania3910 » Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:06 pm

I wish that Doctors could be a little more compassionate and not give us a diagnosis that they arent sure of.

I second that, Dr are to quick just to do their job, and forget they have a human being in front of them. Heeeellllllo all you Dr's out there. Good luck
Tania3910
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby daisy15767 » Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:52 pm

All I can say is WOW...congratulations to you...

We must all remember that dr.'s are humans too and they too make mistakes...unfortunitly it can and most times does really harm us when they do...

I'm soo happy for you...I'll keep praying that you and your little one stay healthy...congrats again

Stephanie
DH Bryan
Charlie Born 03-01-03
Angel Austin 03-30-05
EDD 02-06-06
daisy15767
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Lovinmom » Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:18 am

This is wonderful news! Thank you so much for sharing with us. We can't wait to hear more about your little one. Sending BIG hugs of joy!

Lovinmom :heart:
3 angel babies in Christ's loving arms/ one possible misdiagnosis
47 yr. mom to boy twins 5 yrs., dd 18 yr. and 9 yr. Baby Michael Josiah born 6/23/08
This post for educational purpose. For diagnosis, treatment, and advice, consult a doctor.
Lovinmom

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories