Possible Blighted Ovum- Please Read! UPDATE: BABY FOUND

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

Possible Blighted Ovum- Please Read! UPDATE: BABY FOUND

Postby Stormyluv269 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:51 pm

So here's my story:

After doing 6 months of chemotherapy for Hodgkin's Lymphoma and being told I had very little chance of ever having more children (I have two daughters ages 5 and 7), I found out I was pregnant!

My LMP was on September 26th, with my periods being irregular due to the chemo. It lasted five days, which is normal for me, and it was a normal period. I tested positive on a home pregnancy test October 24th with a very faint line. I went to my doctors and had my HCG levels drawn and they were 315 on October 30th and then 1,147 on November 2nd. They had almost quadrupled, much to my OB-GYN's surprise!

I had an ultrasound done, transabdominally and transvaginally, on November 7th and the technician found a "healthy looking" yolk sac but no fetal pole or heartbeat. By my LMP I should have been 6 weeks exactly. The lining of the gestational sac looked like it should with a very early pregnancy and my sac was measuring at 1 cm (I believe she meant the gestational sac, although it's possible she meant the yolk sac??). However, the technician told me 9 times out of ten once a yolk sac is visiable a fetal pole will be seen within a week.

Saturday November 10th I started getting SEVERE cramping and was positive I was having a miscarriage. The hospital did another HCG draw and my levels were at 24,230! Then they did another ultrasound (3 days after the first one), and again they saw a healthy yolk sac, but could not find a baby or heart beat for certain, although the technician said she thought she saw a slight flicker of a heartbeat and might have seen a possible fetal pole. She suggested I might have a "blighted ovum". The pain was caused by a 9cm cyst on my right ovary that had burst, leaving fluid behind my cervix.

I have another ultrasound scheduled for November 29th with my OB-GYN (the emergency room hospital wasa different hospital than the one I normally went to). When I mentioned to my OB-GYN that they had suggested I had a blighted ovum he assured me he would not schedule a D&C until he was sure the pregnancy was not viable, and that he was certain it was in fact a viable pregnancy since my HCG levels were rising so well and they had seen a yolk sac.

I have pregnancy symptoms... nausea, breast tenderness, low back pain, fatigue. My HCG levels were more than doubling within the 72 hours they are supposed to. I am being told I concieved October 10th, which would have made me 6 weeks 3 days pregnant on my last ultrasound. Should they have seen a fetal pole by then? I know I could have concieved as late as October 15th... although from everything I've read it takes at least 10 days post conception for a HPT to show positive... which would mean I would have had to have concieved October 14th or earlier.

Has anyone else shown a yolk sac without a fetal pole by 6 1/2 weeks gestation and later showed a fetal pole w/heartbeat? I am TERRIFIED to go to this ultrasound for fear they won't find a baby this time either... and by then I will be 9 weeks 2 days. If they don't find anything this time... is there still a chance I could have a viable pregnancy and it's just too early to tell yet?

Should I really be concerned about a blighted ovum since my HCG levels are rising so well and I still feel pregnant? I'm beyond scared. I need some advice please!
Stormyluv269
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby imdesired » Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:44 am

Oh you're VERY early. It's very possible you'll see a h/b on your next u/s. A blighted ovum usually doesn't have a yolk. So unless it's a missed miscarriage, I doubt that is the case, unless of couse it wasn't a yolk they saw in the first place.
I wouldn't even trust ANY diagnosis until the 8th week!

Good luck on your next u/s and please make sure to update us!
xoxo
M/C - October 13, 2007

My entire story of miscarriage is here at my blog.
http://www.waitingforamiscarriage.blogspot.com/
imdesired
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Lovinmom » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:31 am

I think there is certainly hope here. You were way too early for your pregnancy to be diagnosed as a b/o at 6 wks. We see so many cases similiar to yours and the baby ends up okay. U/S readings are not always accurate. I personally don't go in for u/s for pregnancies until 10 wks. The most wonderful doctors that I know of, won't even do a u/s until 8-9 weeks minimum due to not seeing much. Since there was a yolk sac, I think there is a good chance you will see your little one. I hope so! Please let us know how you are doing.

Hugs,
Lovinmom E>
3 angel babies in Christ's loving arms/ one possible misdiagnosis
47 yr. mom to boy twins 5 yrs., dd 18 yr. and 9 yr. Baby Michael Josiah born 6/23/08
This post for educational purpose. For diagnosis, treatment, and advice, consult a doctor.
Lovinmom

They saw a heartbeat and a baby!!!!

Postby Stormyluv269 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:09 pm

I had my ultrasound today, and when they tried transabdominally to find a baby, they couldn't. Needless to say, I was ready to fall apart. The technician had me use the bathroom to empty my bladder, and then tried transvaginally to locate the baby.

She immediately found him, and told me she saw the heartbeat! She must have thought I was crazy, because I started to cry, I was so happy! She let me listen to the baby's heartbeat, which was 158 bpm, and assured me over and over that it was a good rate.

Then she measured my little bean and told me I wasn't 9 weeks 1 day like the doctors insisted because of my LMP of September 26th, but only 8 weeks 2 days! They had been off by almost a week, and had me stressing over a blighted ovum even though I had insisted I thought I had conceived later than 14 days after my period!

The technician tells me everything looks great! They were also only using a 5 MHz machine, so it wasn't one of the better ones. To think if I would have listened to that doctor who told me to consider a D&C I would have aborted my baby! Keep up hope... because sometimes you know more than the doctors!
Stormyluv269
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:04 pm

Oh my goodness...that is terrific.

Congrats on moving to the 'Misdiagnosed' forum!

Keep us updated.
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories