Misdiagnosed BO

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

Misdiagnosed BO

Postby Arcmedic » Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:39 pm

Hi all,

For a while my wife suspected she was pregnant but the pregnancy tests were negative (she was testing every day) until one day the test went a faint blue (uh-oh) (Indicating she was about 7 days pregnant). She was pregnant and aside from nearly collapsing at the news the pregnancy progressed.

2 weeks later she was going to the toilet at night and noticed a tiny amount of blood on wiping, concerned we both sat there and I eventually got her to go to A&E. She and I both thought she was miscarrying. After quick assessment in A&E we were then wheeled up to the gynae ward for further assessment. The SpR arrived and after talking to my wife booked her into the early pregnancy assessment unit for the next morning, as she nor the senior SpR did ultrasound scans!

We went to EPAU and my wife was called through for her scan, the SpR running the clinic, scanned her, saw a small EMPTY sac and told her she was miscarrying - Blighted Ovum. My wife was very upset at the news, it wasn't helped as were then taken through to the nurses room who gave us information on miscarriages and what to expect next, she again was giving us her sympathies. We were told she would be rescanned in a week to confirm miscarriage and she was given a letter for her GP. She was completely despondent on the way home, wanting to know why her etc.

I myself could not believe it and rather selfishly I refused to believe it. My wife wanted to stop taking her folic acid and fish oil as now there was no point, plus we were going away for the week with some friends and she could now drink, so why not?

I insisted she kept taking the folic acid etc and act as though she was pregnant for 1 more week, I understand this could be viewed as being quite mean given the circumstance. At home I did some searching, on blighted ovum and scanning technique, and came across this website and this further strengthened my belief that she was not miscarrying (blind hope), I told her about the forum she had a read, saying she shouldn't because it was getting her hopes up. I should add at this point the bleeding had stopped.

It was a hard emotionally charged week, she was in tears taking the folic acid as it reminded her of what she had lost, it was made worse in that the friends we went with had recently had a baby.

We went for the second scan and I recognised the SpR it was a different one than the first one, but I should add at this point that both my wife and I are final year medical students, I had spent time in clinics with him during my O&G rotation. He recognised me and we chatted before he scanned my wife again, this time the news was not great, the sac had grown but again it was empty. At this point without a shadow of a doubt I reckon he would have called it and booked her in to have the sac medically aborted as she had fulfilled the criteria of having 2 scans and both showed an empty sac. After chatting he agreed to rescan in 1 week, but on the letter for the GP he said his impression was of BO (bit naughty he didn't tell us this face to face!).

It was another hard week, but we kept going reminded that the sac was still growing and she was not having any of the expected cramps or further bleeding episodes.

Final scan came, the same SpR we had the week before was doing it. My wife was incredibly nervous (as was I), it had been a hellish 3 weeks and how would she feel if she had been maintaining the pregnant role for nothing?

He scanned and there it was :D sitting in the middle of the sac, heart beating strongly. Couldn't believe it, the relief was unbelievable. She was (and still is) over the moon. It was measuring 7 wks 3 days on transabdo U/S.

She is now 18 weeks today, everything is going ok, find out the sex in 2 weeks. But without finding this forum and reading the stories on BO I doubt I/we would have been able to keep the faith myself so I thank everyone for their contributions both good experiences and bad and for this website being run and hosted in the first place. :)
Michael
Arcmedic
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Lovinmom » Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:23 pm

I am so happy Michael that you shared this story with us and for the good news of your baby being seen! There are so many variables in the first trimester that can affect u/s reading. It is so important to really test out the diagnosis in the first trimester. It is so sad that so many women are offered a D&C so early without really offering more u/s checks to make sure the diagnosis is correct. As long as there is no warning signs such as hemorrage along with fever, it is often safe to test out the diagnosis and have a natural miscarriage if that is what is meant to be. It is such a horrible wait after given such a grim diagnosis and it is understandable how so many women give in to the D&C, but it is always best to really hold out and test out the diagnosis incase it is incorrect.

I am just so happy for you that your little one is doing well. I wish you and your wife a happy, healthy rest of this pregnancy!

Lovinmom
3 angel babies in Christ's loving arms/ one possible misdiagnosis
47 yr. mom to boy twins 5 yrs., dd 18 yr. and 9 yr. Baby Michael Josiah born 6/23/08
This post for educational purpose. For diagnosis, treatment, and advice, consult a doctor.
Lovinmom

Postby Arcmedic » Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:06 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I was more annoyed with the fact the SpR diagnosed a failed pregnancy and miscarriage from 1 scan especially with no history about the pregnancy to date and also the 2 O&G SpR's covering nights did not scan, even though we were put in a room with an U/S scanner.

My wife's thoughts were exactly like you said, she wondered as well how many women are told they have BO, when indeed this is not the case and they have just been scanned too early. The critical factor that Drs used is the women's personal account of LMP, it wasn't for example until our 16 week scan that we found out the baby was actually 17 weeks and even though my wife had been testing until the preg test turned blue she was still 1 week behind. My advice would be if you are unsure of the date of LMP, or even how many weeks pregnant you are and the scan is not showing a sac with the morphology of a failing pregnancy then get them to rescan and don't stop at twice either! if we had then it would be D&C or misoprostol and one terrible mistake.

Thank you for your kind words lovinmom, the only downside to this story is that this has made my wife ultra-paranoid about any subtle pains she feels and instead of enjoying the pregnancy she is constantly worried she is going to miscarry or that the baby has died inutero and won't be happy till the pregnancy gets to a stage where the baby is medically viable (23 wks) or until we stop going up to our clinical resources room and getting me to listen to the babies heartbeat with the handheld doppler.
Michael
Arcmedic
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby conrad » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:08 pm

Michael:

Thank you for your story.....you've given a lot of us hope!
conrad
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories