Hope after misdiagnosed blighted ovum!

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

Hope after misdiagnosed blighted ovum!

Postby bethb79 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:43 pm

I wanted to share my story to give hope to others who are given the devastating diagnosis of a blighted ovum.

My husband and I were thrilled to find out we were pregnant with our first child after 8 months of trying. I was feeling good (some mild nausea, breast tenderness, mild fatigue but overall doing well; no bleeding or cramping) and looking forward to my first appointment which would put me at 8 weeks according to the first day of my lmp.

After meeting the doctor she performed a transvaginal ultrasound and right away I knew something was wrong. She told me that she saw a pregnancy but not a baby. My gestational sac measured 2 cm which seemed to correlate with my dates but there was no baby. Given the size of my sac, she expected to see a fetal pole. She checked my ovaries which looked fine and told me that although she wasn't 100% sure, this more or less was a blighted ovum and was nature's way of taking care of babies that didn't develop normally. We then talked briefly about d&C and natural miscarriage. She recommended we check my b-hcg levels and progesterone keeping in mind that single values aren't always that helpful. She called me the next day to tell me that my b-hcg was 41,000 and my progesterone was on the "low side". I was told previously that your levels can still be normal with a blighted ovum so I didn't have alot of hope. We then repeated my b-hcg two days later which came back at around 52,000. She asked me to come back for another visit and I went back today one week after my initial ultrasound.

It was during this time that I discovered this website and went from expecting a miscarriage to having hope. My husband and I then started to pray to God for a miracle even though it seemed that scientifically and medically speaking the odds were against us. We even had a pen that magically showed up in my car that said "with God all things are possible".

I went in for my appointment today (9 weeks 1 day by lmp) and told my doctor that I had been praying for a miracle. She was reluctant to offer me any hope but as soon as she starting to perform the ultrasound, I could tell by her face that she had seen something. My heart was pumping out of my chest and finally she turned the screen to me and it was clear to me that yes there was a baby and to my amazement a heartbeat too! She said that my sac/uterus looked kind of funny so she wanted to call in her partner. He came in and told me that he thought everything looked great and that the heartbeat was strong at 160 bpm. Praise God!! They measured the baby which measured a little over 7 weeks which is two weeks off from the dates according to my lmp.

Part of the problem may have been that I was just not as far along as we thought (my cycles are on average 31-38 days so could have ovulated late), but looking back the doctor was surprised that she didn't see anything one week ago. I fit the textbook criteria of blighted ovum with empty gestational sac of > 18mm by transvaginal ultrasound. To me, it is an answer to prayer and evidence that miracles still happen. It has strengthened my faith in God and even if I didn't have the outcome I wanted, it has taught me that God is sovereign and in control (not science).

I pray for happy endings for all of you and my heart goes out to those who have lost little ones or have gone through devastating miscarriages. Your loss and pain are not taken lightly and I only wish you healthy babies in the future.

Thank you for allowing me to share and for all of you who gave me hope.

Beth
Beth
bethb79
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby mjdumas » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:46 pm

Thank you Beth for sharing your story. I too have been praying for a miracle. I am 9 weeks 2 days and my last u/s showed a 3mm fetal pole but still no heart beat. I have a repeat u/s this thursday and I have been praying that my little one has grown and now has a heart beat. Your story gives me hope! Thanks! :H
mjdumas
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby star77 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:58 pm

Thank you for sharing your story!

I am in a similar situation. I went in for my first appointment last Wednesday and had a trans vag ultrasound the following afternoon. I was 8 wks 1 day at that time. The tech saw a sac but nothing else and also checked my ovaries, etc. I met with the dr afterward and he told me they only saw the sac and that my progesterone was a little low. He had me go to get an hcg level ran. He called me the next morning to let me know that my level was 34,000 which from what I understand is well within the normal range for my stage of pregnancy. He scheduled me for a follow up ultrasound on the 26th. I will be 9wks 5 days at that time according to my LMP. We have been praying as well and have family praying for us too. I have faith in God and know that His will be done. Your story is very inspirational and makes my faith in God stronger. Miracles do happen! I am very happy for you and glad that everything is ok.

God Bless!
star77
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Lanae » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:43 pm

Your story has given me hope. Thank you! I had an u/s at 5w3d and saw a very small sac and a yolk sac. Had 2nd u/s at 6w5d and still there was a sac (a little bigger) but nothing inside. (I asked the doc where did the yolk sac go from the 1st u/s and he said, "oh, I probably thought there was one but I don't see one now" He told me well we didn't see anything inside (fetal pole, hb) so you will most likely miscarry but i can schedule you for a D&C. I was crushed. I cried for 2 days. I have a 2nd opinion at an imaging center today and I will be exactly 7 weeks, so I'll keep praying for a positive outcome.

Very happy for you!
God does great things
Lanae
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories