HCG Issues: A Positive Story

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

HCG Issues: A Positive Story

Postby lovebeingamom512 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:16 am

I have been following this forum for awhile, never joining, but seeking answers from other women. So many women have similar stories as mine, some with happy endings and some with sad ones. One thing that rings true is just the beauty of hope and positive thinking.

I had a miscarriage at the end of September somewhere around 5 1/2 weeks. My HCG level peaked at 1800. I went to the ER a few days later because I was worried, but cramping a bit. The ER staff took my levels and my levels went down to 1500. At that point, I knew I would miscarry...and I did several days later. It left me devastated.

Talked to my OB and he told me it was okay to try again immediately with this being my first miscarriage. Well needless to say, my DH and I wasted no time in starting again...and I ended up with a positive pregnancy test. I was pregnant again immediately after my m/c.

My first set of HCG levels were great, doubling the way my OB liked. My last three sets just seemed to slow down a bit and were not doubling the way he liked. He believed it could be another miscarriage, especially with slow rising HCG levels as in my last pregnancy. However, I would like to note, even though they were not doubling as the dr. thought they should every 48 hrs, the levels were still rising. He said this time, we could make things easier by taking a pill to help with the miscarriage process. We scheduled another ultrasound nearly two weeks later. It was hard. As many refer to as the "waiting game." I thought I was going to lose my mind waiting and my anxiety level was high. I researched continuously on the computer reading on the success rate of slow rising HCG and continuously praying concerning my baby. I found this site with hoping women which in turn gave me hope.

I am happy to report, I had my ultrasound yesterday. At 6 weeks 4 days, we saw the baby and detected the heartbeat. We saw this through the transabdominal sonogram (not transvaginal). I spotted the baby before the sonographer did! hahahahaha. My OB was so excited, he gave me a hug and took me off his worry list. My due date is June 30, 2008. The baby is measuring on time and everything looks good.

My point in sharing this story is to have hope...hope for the best! Nothing is impossible for God.

Thank you for your continuous hope and I hope you all know how much your positive thinking has changed my life and I truly thank you for it!
Last edited by lovebeingamom512 on Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
lovebeingamom512
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

what were your levesl?

Postby Panda404 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:09 pm

:sos If you don't mind, could you tell me what your levels are / were? I am at 6 weeks. I was diagnosed with a blighted ovum because my hcg levels were slow and low. They were:
12dpo- 38.5
14dpo - 78
17dpo - 203
19 dpo - 440
THEN...
23dpo - (96 hours later) only 754
25 dpo - 964

Even though we DID see a getational sac and a beginning yolk sack at 5.5 weeks (and that's perfectly normal) my RE is still convinced I will miscarry b/c of he low levels. So I am just curious what yours were?
Thanks!
Panda404
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby lovebeingamom512 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:16 pm

Hi panda!

Sure, my levels were:

initial - 217

2 days later - 654

2 days later - 1065

3 days later - 2175

2 days later 3570

At 2175, I had an u/s done. All we saw was a gestational sac, measuring 4 wks 6 days (5 weeks). My OB didn't draw anymore blood for testing after the last test, done two days after the 1st u/s. My second u/s showed the baby and the heartbeat, both which made my OB very excited as well as myself! I am measuring on time and growth is appropriate for gestational age.

I was comparing my levels to others and I realized that I shouldn't do that because babies really do grow at different rates and each pregnancy is different. My OB's partner (I saw her when I was cramping earlier) told me that once they see a gestational sac, they really don't rely on numbers, but rely more on the u/s findings. All I know is that no matter what the OB perspective is or expert opinion, God is the final say in all things. Healing, miracles, and breakthroughs happen every day. Many hugs to you. I will keep you in my prayers. :)8
lovebeingamom512
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby lauralk » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:20 pm

Your story gives me hope. Was the heartbeat a normal bpm? What were the beats per minute when they heard it?
lauralk
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

HCG level

Postby Katy » Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:26 am

Hi

I'm new on this forum

Has anybody of you have had the following story :
Probably I have a blighted ovum. On the 57th day (8 weeks) the doctor couldn't see an embryo, but you could see a gestational sac, with a yolk sac in it. Normally you can't have a yolk sac without having an embryo.
My HCG levels are also very high.
Is there somebody here, who has had the same experience as I ?
So seeing a yolk sac within the gestational sac, but without an embryo ?

thanks

Katy
Katy
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby unicornjunkie » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:06 pm

Katy,
I am 7 weeks today. At 5 wks 3 days, had some light bleeding, and U/S showed gestational size perfect for the length of my pregnancy. Bleeding stopped after 1/2 a day, and a week later (at 6 wks 2 days) had some more light spotting and cramping. Went back to Dr and after another U/S, was told that the sac and yolk can be seen, but no embryo. Gestational size was only 5 wks 1 day (2 days less than the previous U/S - which was just plain confusing to me!) Dr said I would prob miscarry, and did an hCg, comparing it to the one I had done at 5 wks 3 days (a week earlier). The levels rose. My Dr said if the levels dropped, it would be a sure sign of M/C, but they didn't. She did another blood test 3 days later, to check the levels again. I don't get the results of those until this afternoon. I have to say, I've not heard anything stating that an embryo must be present if a yolk sac is present. My Dr gave me the indication that the yolk sac can be there, but no baby developing at all. My Dr is encouraging D&C, but after reading info on this site about "misdiagnosed M/C", my husband and I really want to be sure, since I'm not past 8 weeks yet. I plan on asking my Dr if my uterus is "tilted" today, since this site states it is not uncommon to miss the embryo in an U/S prior to 8 weeks if the uterus is tilted. I'm still holding out hope, and would hate to end this Pregnancy if this baby has a chance, and is just developing slowly. I wish the very best for you!
unicornjunkie
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby JulesT325 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:47 am

Yeah, That is wonderful. I just posted my story about low levels too. My doc was so certain I would miscarry and we have a heartbeat too!!!
Congrats!
JulesT325
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

We have a heartbeat!

Postby unicornjunkie » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:12 pm

I'm SO glad I waited to have a D&C. Went to the DR the day of my last posting, and lo and behold...there's a heartbeat. The reason they couldn't find the embryo and heartbeat before...the baby's embedded in the muscle tissue of my uterus, making it very difficult for the sonogram to pick up. My husband and I were elated at seeing the little heart beating, but it was NOT easy to find - thanks to my DR's good eyes, we walked away from a very depressing situation feeling extreme joy and gladness! My next sonogram is tomorrow. It is most certainly a day-by-day thing though. I have been having a disgusting brown discharge every week since learning of my pregnancy, and some cramping along with it. Every blog I've read says discharge AND cramping together isn't a good thing, but my DR has assured me that the discharge is QUITE normal, and the cramping is likely due to the fact that the baby is growing into muscle tissue - also the likely source of the discharge. It's just so difficult to believe that any discharge is normal - and every time I cramp up, I cringe with worry. The end of my first trimester cannot come soon enough!
unicornjunkie
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Katy » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:59 am

Hi Uncornjunkie,

I'm so happy for you.
I have not so good news. Today i'm in week 9 already and there is still no heartbeat, even an embryo to see. So I'm going to have a miscarriage probably.
After 9 weeks, my doctor told me that you need to see at least a heartbeat.
So this is so hard to except, because it's already my third miscarriage in one year.
Greetings

Katy
Katy
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby dannie1615 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:37 pm

same thing happend to me my hcg levels wernt going up as fast as they should have but they were going up at about 5 weeks they went threw the roof. i was misdiagnsed twice in 2 weeks.
dannie1615
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby reallyconfused » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:16 pm

did anyones HCG levels ever drop and then rise?
Love and Hugs,

Alanna
reallyconfused
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby lovebeingamom512 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:41 pm

Just giving you all an update who have read this story...

I am not 15 weeks and 1 day along in my pregnancy and so far, everything is going well! B)

Keep having faith!!!!!!!!!!!
lovebeingamom512
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby towens » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:20 am

reallyconfused wrote:did anyones HCG levels ever drop and then rise?

I just wanted to reply to this because I was wondering the same thing and found out the answer yesterday....I found out I was pregnant (this is my first pregnancy)on the 13th, which is the day I was supposed to start and I did. I have had to go every 2 days to check my HCG because I have still been bleeding. It started out at 143 then went to 257 then to 532 up to 2071. I went a few days ago and it dropped to 1800 so they said I was miscarrying. I had to go back yesterday to check my level to make sure it was dropping like it was supposed to and it WENT UP BY OVER 1,000 to 2863. I am in shock. I was just accepting the fact I was miscarrying and now this. I dont know what to think and the dr. didnt know and still doesnt know what to say. I go back tomorrow to check my level again so I guess I will know more then.
Tamara
towens
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby lw8843 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:34 am

Towens~ It is possible the lab messed up on the day they dropped. It doesn't happen often but it can happen. Hang in there and let us know what you find out.
~Laura~ DH Jacob
DD Haylee October 20th 2006
DD Hannah August 12th 2009
EDD~7/1/2011
Angel babies #1 March 21st 2008-D&C 6 weeks #2 August 20th 2008 12.5 weeks
lw8843
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby towens » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:53 am

Im not for sure, the dr. said with these tests they dont mess up anything and it is rare. I am so scared. I was ok with having a miscarriage and finally realizing it was over and now this. This has messed up all my feelings and dont know what to think. I will keep everyone updated.
Tamara
towens
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby towens » Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:22 am

well i went back today to check my levels and it went from 2863 to 3451. It didnt go up much but its still going up. I go tomorrow to get an ultrasound to see if they see anything. wish me luck!!!
Tamara
towens
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby lw8843 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:24 am

Good Luck tomorrow and Please let me know what happens. I hope you can see your little bean. How far along are you? If you are only 5-6 weeks it is possible to not see anything this early.
~Laura~ DH Jacob
EDD~7/1/2011
lw8843
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby towens » Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:39 am

Thanks, I will let ya know. Ya,I hope I can see my little bean! this has been such an emotional roller coaster. I am right at 6 weeks.
Tamara
towens
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby lw8843 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:45 am

Tamara If you don't see what you want don't give p hope yet as it is possible it could be just too early. It's possible you o'ed late and the baby might not be as far along as you think. So please just hang in there.
~Laura~ DH Jacob
EDD~7/1/2011
lw8843
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby towens » Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:04 am

Thanks. I will keep that in mind. Just dont know what to think since my level went up then down and going back up. You have any idea of why that could happen?
Tamara
towens
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child
Next

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories