Misdiagnosed Blighted Ovum

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

Misdiagnosed Blighted Ovum

Postby kb123 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:30 pm

Sorry, I put this in the wrong place the first time.

I am so happy to have found this website. I have been going crazy the last few weeks, here is my story.

I had a faint positive pregnancy test on 9/17 (first response early result). My LMP was on 8/18 or 19. This would put my due date originally at 5/25. I went for the first scan at what I thought was about 6 weeks pregnant. The Dr. said the sac looked a bit abnormal and wanted to see me back in two weeks. She made no mention that the sac was not measuring 6 weeks, and she didn't change my due date at that point, so I am assuming she thought it was a six week sac. 2 weeks later I came back for another scan (at about 8 weeks), this time there was a wierd shaped sac with nothing in it. This was on a Friday. She said I had a blighted ovum and would likely need a D&C on Monday. She made an appointment for me at an imaging center just to confirm and told me not to eat or drink on Monday (to prepare for the surgery). I cried, everyone told me sorry, they hugged me, I mean it seemed to me like there was no hope whatsoever. Then on Monday I went to the imaging center with the professional u/s technicians and u/s Dr. They found a perfectly normal 6 week baby with a heartbeat. The sac was fine and everything. However, I am very concerned now, because since I got a positive test on 9/17, I just don't know how those dates can work out. It seems to me that I would have a positive test only 3-4 days after conception according to the timeline given by the imaging center. I am concerned that the baby is not developing correctly or something, but the Dr. at the imaging center assured me that it was a perfectly healthy 6 week baby. I just keep going back to the dates, and they don't work. Does anybody have any wisdom to share on this one? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
kb123
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:32 pm

Keep in mind that many women look one to two weeks behind during the first trimester due to the tilt of their uterus. It's common and often scares women needlessly. Seriously, looking one to two weeks behind can be pretty normal.

Congratulations. I'm so glad they scheduled an ultrasound before your D&C. Many doctors will not and women just don't realize they can turn down the D&C and wait out the diagnosis.
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories