poss Blighted Ovum, followup hcg results --MISDIAGNOSED!!!

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

poss Blighted Ovum, followup hcg results --MISDIAGNOSED!!!

Postby Seraphina » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:14 pm

On Oct 2nd I got a Positive HPT. The next day I went into my ob/gyn for and hcg test. The result was 106, which they told me meant is wass very early, but I came back in on the 5th for the second test, which ended up being 293.

On Oct22, I went in for my first ultrasound, at first she didnt see anything at all in my uterus, and then said my uterus "goes straight back", and then found a sac. She said she didnt see anything in the sac, and the size indicated 4weeks. Though, they believe I should be further than that based on my levels. My OB dr seemed pretty convinced it had stopped developing and I would miscarry, but she ordered another hcg test. She told me "if its around 8000 we will continue to test, if it's 2000 it may just be slow, if its around 800 we know it isnt goo" Now she is foreign, but I think she knows the difference between 2000 and 20,000.

My hcg results came back today and it was 23,000 much higher than the 8000 she was telling me she was looking for. The nurse that called me with the results said that she would expect me to be at 78,000, which isnt what the doctor said....so I have no idea what to think.

I go back in this afternoon or tomorrow morning to take another hcg blood test to see if my levels are going up or down.

I have had no bleeding whatsoever, which is what they keep asking me.

Does "your uterus goes straight back" mean I have a tilted or retroverted uterus? Would this be why they couldnt see anything on the u/s?

I have irregular periods, and my last period was just spotting, and I am unsure of the last day of that, so they cant go by that.

I dont want to have false hopes...I have been trying to conceive for 3 years. But after reading this site, I feel better that there is a chance that I may just be misdiagnosed.

Here's hoping....
Last edited by Seraphina on Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seraphina
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby aileen » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:36 pm

Im so sorry to hear you are having a time of such uncertainty. I cant answer many of your questions, but I do think that those numbers look pretty good and well within range. How many weeks do you figure you are now? At 6 weeks my hcg was 19,000 or so, and no one ever questioned that at all.
Anyway, i wish you the best of luck and know that there are many women here thinking about you and your little one.
God bless,
Aileen
aileen
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:46 pm

No false hopes but you deserve to know without a doubt what is happening. One ultrasound is not enough to diagnose anything like this. You need another ultrasound at least a week out. Also, let's see what those levels show.

Hang in there.
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Postby Seraphina » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:24 pm

I received my second set of hcg bloodwork results. It went up to 30,000 from 23,000 Not double. I am scheduled for another ultrasound on Tuesday.

Has anyone had the slow increase in hcg and still a viable pregnancy?

Thanks.
Seraphina
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Seraphina » Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:27 pm

I went in for my 2nd ultrasound..I wasnt sure what to expect, but I figured they would probably see nothing again. They did the TV ultrasound, and although the sac looked much bigger, she could not see anything inside. This was a different technician, and I could tell a difference. She showed me the screen and explained everything she was seeing. She said I have a midplane uterus (and Im a heavier girl) and it makes it very hard to see anything because the sac is so far away from the wand. I was disappointed, because I clearly could not see anything either, though it was murky.

She decided to try it abdominally. Lo and behold, as soon as she put the wand down on my belly, there was baby!!!! Right away you could see the heart beating too!! I was overcome with joy I put my hand to my mouth and she said "don't move, we're trying to record the heartbeat" and then she turned on the speaker and I heard the heartbeat! It was a very healthy 170 bpm. You could even see little arm buds. I finally got my picture to take with me!

So I am 7w4d, due 6/14! The other lady said I was 4w last week! :()

I even had a different Dr this time afterwards. She looked at the US report and said everything looks great, couldnt look better.

I cant believe that the previous tech didnt try abdominally, and that my Dr was already telling me that "you should be able to miscarry normally, there's very little tissue there..and then we can go from there and get you back on clomid"..she didnt even question the US result!

I am absolutely convinced that uterus position plays a MAJOR role in all these horribly misdiagnosed cases. I spent over a week convinced I didnt have a baby, and all that tech had to do was an abdominal US!

Im so glad I found this site, it gave me the bit of hope I needed to get through this. Now on to the next hurdle..the end of the first trimester!!
Seraphina
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:25 pm

Oh my goodness, what wonderful news! Y'know, we also believe that transvaginal ultrasound is just not accurate in women who do have some extra weight whether they have a tilted uterus or not.

I am so glad you saw your baby. So many doctors would have given up at this point and tried to convince you to have a D&C. I am so glad your tech did the abdominal ultrasound.

Yay, yay, yay!

Keep us updated and congratulations on moving to the misdiagnosed forum :)
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Postby delhiseema » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:42 pm

hi seraphina....this is great news.....dont worry about the not doubling of the HCG...it kinda reaches its higest and then keeps stable or increases slightly......everyone highest point is different.......mine has been a difficult pregnancy too and i had been get a set of BHCG till about 71/2 weeks.....and after that it was not doubling but just going up a lil by lil.........after that the docs kept track of the baby by ultrasound only..........seeing the heartbeat is excellent...........good luck to you........
seema
delhiseema
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

praying to be misdiagnosed

Postby PRAYINGMOMMY » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:05 pm

I took a home preg test on 7 Dec and it was positive. I wasn't given a first appointment until 9 Jan when I was given a due date of 12 August. I knew this date was wrong b/c it was based off a LMP of 5 Nov and I couldn't remember my LMP. So today I go in and they tell me that I am 10 weeks going by my due date. The listen for a heartbeat but hear nothing, the nurse tells me that there is no way I am 10 weeks maybe 6-8 weeks pregnant. They do an u/s, and I get told that there is a sac but no baby in it and that I have miscarried. This is absolutely the worse feeling in the world. I was given 3 options, to get a D and C, to let my body eventually expell, or to take medicine to cause me to miscarry. I was told D and C was the best solution. So thinking the doctors know what they are talking about I listen to them. Well I call my son's stepmother hysterically crying asking why is my baby being taken away from me. And she tells me to get a second opinion because she was told the exact same thing and she's due to deliver within the next two months! They finally saw a baby in her sac. So I go to another doctor to get a second opinion and was given some hope. He advised me not to go along with the D and C (that they have scheduled for me in 5 days). He did another HCG test on me and says to come back Friday to take another to see if my levels go up. Then next Wed we will do another ultrasound to see if we see a baby in the sac. He says if we don't we'll repeat a week after that. Since it looks like I am only 6-8 weeks, that maybe that's why we can't see anything or hear anything yet. But I am not having in symptoms of a miscarriage. I have been pregnant twice and with no complications and delivered two healthy babies. I am so afraid right now. This waiting is like the worse thing I have been thru. I am just praying because I do know if it's God's will I will have this baby. But it still doesn't hurt any less. I have text all my friends and called all my family and asked them to pray because prayer changes things. I am so glad I found this website! To know that I am not the only one going thru this or that has been thru this and that there are some people with positive outcomes. If I am able to carry this baby full term and it's a girl her name will be Hope or Faith because that is what I am so full of right now. Guess I better work on a boys name just in case. I will keep you posted and for anyone else going thru this I am throwing prayers your way too!
PRAYINGMOMMY
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby waitingmon » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:53 pm

hi everyone,

I am now preg with my 4th. My LMP was 31.12.07. I had very slight spotting (when i wiped) for 1 day than once about 2 days later. Did an US on 14.2. was told that there was a gestational sac no fetus or yolk identified. Could be early gestation or ectopic - there was no tubal mass or any other thing to suggest ectopic as there was a intrauterine sac! I am having no symptom of ectopic. Anyway, I did hcg test on 17.2. which was 4619 then 2 days later , level was 6626, just 41% increase (which I found out was slower than norm). Rept a US (transvaginal) on 19.2. still no fetal pole or yolk. Sac measures 1.5cm. Uterus is anteverted. I am around 6 wks. My dr says this suggests b/o as the levels were not doubling or even near the least acceptable percentile (66%). However, dr is still not ruling out ectopic!

I am still feeling a bit of nausea, breasts pain ( i can't go without bra), frequency of urine and sleepiness (more than anything else).

We want this preg and we have been trying for over 1 yr. I pray and hope that this will turn out for the best.

For others in similar situation, continue to pray and leave it in God's hands. He knows best. :H E>
MGR
waitingmon
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby piggypebs » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:23 am

Hi,
Sorry you are going through this, I myself just got done with my Meth shot because of my hcg. My LMP was also the same day as yours Dec 31, 2007 and I would have been in my 6 weeks also except that my hcg went up and down since feb 4th. Now I did have a very very similar situation to yours back in 2005 when I found out I was pregnant. This were my numbers ( I have still have he paperwork):

10/12 1925
10/14 2365
10/20 4168
10/24 6648

10/25 surgery lost my left tube, ER doc told my OB that I had miscarried because they though they saw a sac and then I was cramping and bleeding did not see a sac later on, I was in the ER for 7 hours and my OB did not do anything but said to come back on the 24th and see how much my levels was going down, well thqat's when my numbers were 6648 and the US saw the baby in my tubes. So please have them recheck you on the US, I was 6 weeks when this happen in 2005.

This time my numbers were:
02/04 1953
02/06 2395 us show a mass on my rt tube and a maybe a sac?
02/07 763 different lab but same as the rest below
02/09 509
02/11 575
02/12 cramp heavy bleeding pass tissues, no baby just a sac (per pathology)
02/13 797
02/16 610
02/18 611
02/20 665 got the shot
doc think I had twins one in uterus on in tube, but the sac was empty ( still wasn't sure if it was a sac in the US but I did pass one out sorry TMI )

Anyway lots of prayer for you and hopefully you will have a miracle and the baby will be fine.
piggypebs
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby waitingmon » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:32 am

Hi piggypebs,

Thanks for your response. I am truly sorry for what you have gone through for both pregs.

I went to another dr yesterday and she did not even refer to the possiblilityof an ectopic but did seem convinced that it is a b/o as she offered medical intervention ( which i refused). Told her I would abort on my own (actually, i just want to give it some more time to see if i may have been misdiagnosed). She had me do another hcg test and said that if it was over 10,000 then they would have to rethink their diagnosis. I am to collect the results today. :H . I am scheduled for another US in a wk or 2.

Thanks for your prayers.
MGR
waitingmon
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories