Misdiagnosed b/o

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

Misdiagnosed b/o

Postby hopefulmom23 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:52 pm

Hi there. I am new to the site. My husband and I discovered the site 1 week ago, the day I was diagnosed with a b/o after an u/s at a radiology lab. They said there was a sac but that the embryo had never formed. My obgyn office insisted I come in for a d&c this week. After reading the various posts, we asked for a 2nd u/s since I learned that I had a retroverted uterus, and according to my charting, I was only ~5.5 weeks last week. The radiology lab said I was at 6.5 weeks, and my obgyn insisted I was over 7 weeks (they wouldn't take into account that I have very long cycles of 45 days). The u/s doctor insisted she was 100% certain that I had a b/o but reluctantly agreed to a 2nd ultrasound.

We went in for our 2nd u/s today, and there was a heartbeat! They measured me around 6.5 weeks this time. There is concern, though, because the sac is abnormally shaped. They said it could be polyps and that I should not get my hopes up too high. I have to go in for another u/s in 2 weeks and am hoping for the best.

I was supposed to have the d&c this week. Had I not found this site, we would not have been able to see our baby's heartbeat today. Good luck to all of you out there in similar situations. And thanks to all that have posted their stories. Hopefully we have more good news to share later on...
hopefulmom23
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:29 am

Congratulations! It is so important that women know they can wait out a diagnosis.

Please keep us updated and let us know how that next ultrasound goes.
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Postby jasmine1 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:14 pm

That's great news...the more I read about misdiagnosed Bo..the more excited i get and the more hope it gives me.. :)
jasmine1
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby imdesired » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:46 pm

Awesome news! I'm so happy for you!!
M/C - October 13, 2007

My entire story of miscarriage is here at my blog.
http://www.waitingforamiscarriage.blogspot.com/
imdesired
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby baby123 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:11 pm

I am happy for you. I wish you all the best. I also am waiting. Sometimes I feel crazy for having this hope, but it is all I have. They only saw a sac and no baby at my 8 wk U/S. I am scared b/c I know I am not off on my dates and I have no idea if I have a tilted Uterus.
Baby123
baby123
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby TeacherKim » Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:30 pm

this is a fantastic story! i will keep you in my thoughts!! :o)

~kim
TeacherKim
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby hopefulmom23 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:34 am

Thanks to all of you for your warm wishes. Will keep you posted. And good luck to those of you awaiting news. I'll keep you in my thoughts...
hopefulmom23
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Thank you!!!

Postby hopefulmom23 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:22 am

Thank you to Kay and all the women who have contributed their personal stories. We went in today for our 3rd u/s. We're at 8 weeks now, and the baby's heartbeat is strong. The sac is still a bit irregular-shaped but looking even better now. We go back in 4 weeks for a follow-up.

The radiologist (who originally diagnosed the b/o) said that this has really changed the way she will approach situations like this in the future. My husband and I can't even bare to imagine how things would have turned out if we hadn't come across your site and demanded a 2nd u/s.

We are eternally grateful!!!
hopefulmom23
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby starlight » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:57 am

gosh it just shocks me that docs can be so sure yet so wrong.

well hope you have an uneventful pregnancy! :)O
starlight
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

14 week update - finally some good news!

Postby hopefulmom23 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:20 am

just wanted to share an update on our past 14 week journey...one thing i've learned is to just keep asking questions and seek a 2nd opinion if your heart tells you to (or if your husband's heart tells you to because you are so distraught).

to recap, we had our 1st u/s at 5.5 weeks, and i was diagnosed with a b/o. we requested a 2nd u/s at 6.5 weeks. we then saw a heartbeat (which we were ecstatic about) but were told that the sac was irregularly shaped and that there was a good chance it would not be viable. at 13 weeks, i went in for the integrated screening, and they told me that my baby was at risk for down's syndrome due to the NT scan coming in at 3.2mm. however, we could see that the sonographer was having a tough time with the NT measurement (the baby was moving around quite a bit) and had basically given up after a while.

needless to say, it has been a rollercoaster ride. i asked my obgyn to refer me to a different u/s lab for a 2nd opinion. today, i went to a new hospital and had the NT scan redone. it measured at 1.7mm (out of risk range). and they told me the shape of the sac was just fine and the heartbeat was strong!

i am never going back to the first u/s facility. it feels like they have needlessly put us through a traumatic first 14 weeks. they've been quick to leap to (incorrect) conclusions and have been defensive and trying to justify their first misdiagnosis ever since. i wish we had switched earlier, but i'm just glad we found a group that we trust now.

for any of you that have that question in the back of your minds, please give yourself the chance to at least have your questions answered and followup with a second test or opinion if at all possible. my original doctors had patronizingly told me to "stay off the internet" when we first requested the 2nd u/s. i'm soooooo glad we surfed the web and found this site. we owe our baby's life to it.

today is the first day that i've breathed a sigh of relief since i first saw the positive results of the pregnancy test. i was bawling at the hospital when they told me that the first measurement was inaccurate and that all the other vitals looked good.

i truly hope that any of you that have experienced anything similar to parts of our journey also have moments of happiness like this!
hopefulmom23
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Thank you for sharing your story

Postby conrad » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:02 pm

thank you for sharing your story. I was diagnosed with a 50/50 chance of having a bo on 12/10.....I go back on 12/17 for another u/s. I am not going to give up if they do not have the answers I want to hear on Monday. I don't know why they have to be such pessimists when we are dealing with a life here!!!!

Thanks again and best wishes!
conrad
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby hopefulmom23 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:25 pm

good luck with your u/s next week. i know it can be so nervewrecking in those days leading up. and yes, it is shocking how flippant some of these doctors can be with such an important matter...hope you'll have some good news to share soon!
hopefulmom23
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories