My Misdiagnosed story

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

My Misdiagnosed story

Postby Steph » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:25 pm

Hello, my name is Steph and I am 7 weeks pregnant. I have a son who turns 3 this week and my last pregnancy in the spring ended in a miscarriage and a D&C at barely 6 weeks.

When I found out I was pregnant a month ago I was super excited and a little nervous. My doctor wanted me to come in at 5 weeks for an ultrasound. I was 5 weeks 3 days at my first ultrasound and all they saw was a gestational sac. My HcG was 12000 I came back 3 days later and my HcG was 45000. At 6 weeks 3 days I had my second ultrasound all that could be seen was a gestational sac again.

My doctor told me that I had a blighted ovum and he wanted me to have a D&C right away to prevent infection or possible complications. At this point my husband was out of the country so I said that I would not have a D&C until my husband was home and I wanted one more ultrasound for my peace of mind. He then said to my mother and I that if I were his daughter he would do it today but if I needed to wait for my peace of mind then he could allow me one week but he was confident it was a blighted ovum. He said at 6 weeks you should see a heartbeat let alone a baby especially with my HcG levels as high as they were. I still said I wanted to wait a week. And then I thought I could talk to my husband and figure out where to go from there when the time came.

So last week was one of the hardest of my life. I felt like I was just waiting to miscarry and it was so depressing. I missed a week of work and skipped a retreat I had really been looking forward to. Because I was too depressesd and the doctor had scared me so much about miscarrying naturaly that I wanted to be near the hospital. Not to mention my poor son had to put up with a very emotional and cranky Mommy for a week. I also got another call from the doctor again urging me to reconsider and come in for the D&C because the following week the hospital was too booked to schedule me in. I said no I want one more ultrasound. By then I had found this web-site and was feeling more hopeful or at least that I needed to be sure.

Well yesterday we went in for my 3rd ultrasound and the ultrasound tech said, "Congratulations there is a baby with a heartbeat E> measuring 6 weeks 6 days!!" :) My husband and I are so happy. I'm so glad I waited. I have not had a chance to talk to my doctor since the ultrasound. I go in next week and I'm not even sure what to say to them or ask them. I'm so mad that they put me through this and that they valued the life in side of me so little that they couldn't even suggest we wait it out. :()

But for now I'm just celebrating that I'm still pregnant! And I will deal with the rest later!
Steph
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby namaste11 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:54 pm

Steph, first, heartiest congrats on your little bean and E> !!!

And WOW, I'm so angry with your doctor I don't even know WHERE to start!!!! First, that he would say such a thing to you to try and scare you into a D&C is utterly loathesome and underhanded, and to try and USE your MOTHER to goad you into it?? Bar none, that is absolutely the lowest of unprofessional behavior that deserves to be reported to your local and/or state medical board.

If yours was truly a blighted ovum (which it is CLEARLY not!), there is very minor risk to you had you decided to wait for your body to "reject" the failed pregnancy on its own. Many women, myself included, have miscarried on their own and had no complications or ill effects whatsoever.

I would encourage you to consider changing providers, because it does not seem that this doctor has the same philosophy of care that you do. Since he tried to scare you into an unnecessary procedure that could have ended your baby's life, I wouldn't put it past him to try and scare you into something else during your pregnancy or at delivery that could jeopardize yours or your baby's health.

Thank you so much for sharing your story and I wish you a dull and uneventful 7 more months of pregnancy followed by a simple and straightforward birth experience!

E> Andy
Andy (38) and Jack (36)
Anna Kate (7y) Jacqueline (5y) Alexandra (2y) Samantha (2y) Vanessa (newborn)
5 precious souls in heaven playing with our dog McKinley
namaste11
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:51 pm

Steph, thank you so much for sharing your story and CONGRATULATIONS!!! :)8 :P :)8

I agree with Andy, consider finding a new doctor. This doctor obviously does not have your best interests in mind. Definitely talk to him and you may even want to complain to the 'powers that be'.

Unfortunately, this happens far too often and is the main reason for the site. Women do not need to be bullied into ending their pregnancies before they are ready. I'm glad you waiting. Too many women do not wait and it saddens me to think of the babies being lost.

Keep us updated on your baby and congrats again!
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories