Missed Miscarriage? UPDATE: MISDIAGNOSED

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

Missed Miscarriage? UPDATE: MISDIAGNOSED

Postby keza » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:00 pm

I am so glad I found this site!

Here is my question: I had my first ultrasound last week and the dr. diagnosed a "missed abortion". There was a gestational sac, a fetal pole was identified but no heartbeat according to the radiologist's intepretation ( I read in the blighted ovum faq that no fetal pole is seen in those cases, but my dr thinks this is what it is. is he wrong?). The CRL is 11mm (7 weeks and 2 days). I have been advised to do a d&c. How long can I safely wait before I have to do this? I will be doing a second ultrasound next week to confirm. Also, during the ultrasound the technician showed me a heartbeat and even called my partner in to show him this and then congratulated us!! My doctor thinks that the technician may have confused my pulse for the baby's. Have you heard of technicians making these kinds of mistakes?? Plus, she said she has been working there for years so I cant imagine that she would be that inexperienced! Is it possible that it is the radiologist and not the technician who got it wrong?

I am so confused and anxious. Your advice or thoughts would be so appreciated. And good luck to all of you!
keza
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Lovinmom » Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:08 am

I can't believe your doctor would advice you to do a D&C so early. This is ridiculous in such a case! You have no emergency situation that would warrant that such as severe bleeding, fever, etc.. Definitely test out this diagnosis. A 7 wks fetus is so tiny, that it would be so easy to miss the heartbeat on ultrasound. I have a friend who was told at 8 wks that her baby did not make it and she was miscarrying. The doctor would not do a D&C since she was bleeding and he said that the process had already started. At almost 10 wks, my friend still had symptoms and went in for a follow up utlrasound. Lo and behold, there was the baby! That baby is a young girl now. It sounds like there is a lot of confusion regarding your diagnosis. That confusion could cost your baby's life if he or she is okay and you had a D&C. In the first trimester there are so many variables that can affect diagnosis. That is why it is best to keep testing out the diagnosis until the later weeks. Besides that, a natural miscarriage is easier on the uterus than a D&C. Infection can happen with a D&C. With a natural miscarriage, there are warning signs that you can watch for such as fever, etc... to help prevent any infection. Infection doesn't always happen with either D&C or natural miscarriage.

I wish you well with this. I hope that you get some good news.

Hugs,
Lovinmom E>

A good article for you to read:

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/prenat ... sound.html
3 angel babies in Christ's loving arms/ one possible misdiagnosis
47 yr. mom to boy twins 5 yrs., dd 18 yr. and 9 yr. Baby Michael Josiah born 6/23/08
This post for educational purpose. For diagnosis, treatment, and advice, consult a doctor.
Lovinmom

Go with you natural instincts

Postby TOMEKA31 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:45 am

I would not do anything at this time because you never know. I am playing the wait game right now as well, but I am defing the odds because if what my dr. says is going to happen then it will naturally. She is telling me that I am going to miscarry because my ultrasound showed just a sack and measured just at 6 weeks. I know that on 10/1 I was no where near 6 weeks preg. So I have scheduled myself for another ultra sound on 10/17 because my dr does not want me to have one until the 24th because she expects me to miscarry by then so I really wont need one she says. I can't wait that long so I am being proactive. But please don't opt for the D&C unless it was medically necessary and that you would know. Stay strong and let God work it out for you!
TOMEKA31
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Thank you

Postby keza » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:58 pm

Lovinmum and Tomeka31, thank you so much for your posts. I have taken your advice and saw a different doctor, explained the whole situation and asked for a second ultrasound. She also thinks the discrepancy between the technician and the radiologist is very confusing. I am scheduled for the 2nd u/s on Monday. I should be about 8 weeks and 5 days then. I am really hoping hard that they have made a mistake. Thank you so much because I know Iam not just desperately in denial but that doctors can and do make mistakes. If it is bad news, I just want to be certain before I do anything irreversible. I will keep you posted on what happens. Goodluck to you tomeka31. I know how hard the waiting is.
keza
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:06 pm

Keza, I hope you get some definite answers. I truly believe that is a baby is ever seen without a heartbeat during the first trimester, another u/s at least a week out should be done to verify (if there are no symptoms of infection). I am sure you will get more definitive answers.

(((hugs)))
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Update

Postby TOMEKA31 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:50 am

I went for an ultrasound on yesterday and I am not sure what to think yet but on Last week my doctor told me that I can expect to miscarry because on 10/1 I went for an ultrasound and it only showed a gestational sac no fetal pole and a small yolk sack. I scheduled myself another ultrasound so I am sure my doctor will be upset since she is convienced that she is right because she has done this for 16 years. My Hcg level last was 626500 on 10/8 and that to her was enough reason because my level on 10/3 was 46950 with the numbers not doubling and the 10/1 ultrasound she says I am going to definitly miscarry. My ultrasound yesterday showed a yolk sack and fetal pole and the gestational sack was in good shape she said. Not sure but she thought she could see a heartbeat in rythem but could not capture it on sound. I am going to let go and let God
TOMEKA31
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Heart beat found!

Postby keza » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:53 am

Yesterday I went to the ER and had a second ultrasound done. I did not tell this doctor about the previous diagnosis to avoid bias. They found a hertbeat at 8weeks 0days!!!! 160 beats per minute (no way that could be 'confused' for my pulse) and a normal pregnancy so far. I am so happy but also angry about the way the 1st doctor acted. My partner and I are exploring legal action at the moment. Not because the 1st doctor made a mistaken diagnosis but because of everything after that. He refused to consider any other options and wanted me to do something irreversible. He said he was 100% certain it was a missed abortion! And he talked to me like I was crazy and "should just accept it". Right now though we are just so happy and the legal action is so secondary. I am thankful beyond words that I found your site. It made me realise that I had a right to my doubts and to be certain before proceeding. I am still afraid to be 'too happy'. I feel like I have had the wind knocked out of me and that hasn't changed. On a positive note, this whole experience has made me really think about the tragedy of losing one's baby which so many women go through and to just be aware that things could go wrong. Tomeka31, I am sorry to hear that you haven't had a positive resolution yet.

Goodluck to all of you and again, thank you, thank you, thank you!
keza
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:21 pm

Oh Keza, YAY!!!

Doctors commonly do this...not all doctors but enough that it is a real problem. However, that is why this site is here. Women can wait out a diagnosis without being bullied into a D&C. A D&C should be our choice and not the doctor's choice.

I am so happy you have your little one. What an awesome heartbeat. Please keep us updated on you, the baby and what happens with this doctor!
my blighted ovum scare

If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Postby goldline » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:22 pm

Keza
Congratulation!! :)8

I am angry too when I think about your first doctor, if your partner and yourself have the financial resources to do something about it (I am not sure if it costs any money), please do so, just think about all of the other women he has seen and that he will see and pressure into a D/C.

Tomeka don't give up yet. Wait it out girl, Keza is living proof mistakes happe, 16 years or not. If you do get bad news, you will at least have your peace of mind concerning an irreversible decision. Keep strong and hold your ground. I'm sorry that you have to go through this.
goldline
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

UPDATE

Postby TOMEKA31 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:10 am

Gestational age by todays US: 6.6 weeks
History/Indications: Viability
Estimated Due Date 6/6/08
Sac measurement: 6.8 weeks
CrownRumpL Measurment :6.4 weeeks

Clinical Summary:
Utilizing transabdominal and transvaginal ultrasound and intrauterine gestational sac is seen measuring 3.4x1.2x2.0cm (6.8 weeeks). Within the gestational sac a yolk sac and embryonic pole is seen measuring .6cm(6.4 weeks). No cardiac activity was detected by the Doppler; however faint cardiac pulsations was visualized on real time.

Impression: Single IUP measuring 6.6 weeks by today’s ultrasound. Cardiac pulsations were not detected by today’s ultrasound. Ultrasound follow-up is recommended in 7-10 days to reassess viability if clinically warranted.

So my actual doctor called me this morning 10/19 to say she is puzzeled and wants to hold off on the D&C until I have additional blood work and ultrasound done on 10/23. I would advise anyone to be proactive. This site taught me that if I need to use my intuition and not let anyone force me into anything. I scheduled this ultrasound on my own without permission from my doctor and then requested a copy of the report myself because I wanted to know what was really going on and not someones opinion. Pray that on Monday the little pounding we saw will pick up a heartbeat and all is well.
TOMEKA31
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby goldline » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:22 pm

I will definitely have a prayer for you and the baby. I admire your strength.
goldline
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby riotgirl » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:35 pm

That is wonderful you are blessed. I sure hope my outcome is the sam with my second opinion tomorrow. Take Care.
riotgirl
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

I'm experiencing something similar right now

Postby j48690 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:42 pm

here's my story:

This is my first pregnancy. My first dr's appointment is scheduled Feb 4, but was told to get an u/s b4 my appointment. I was 7wks 3days according to the diagnostic dr. I was told that the heartbeat was not viable and i should schedule a d&C. Having told this, I scheduled a D&C the following day. The Dr who was suppose to perform the D&C ask me if i had any bleeding or cramping....and i didn't so he told me to wait another 2 wks and repeat the u/s again. (I am so angry at the diagnostic dr. The dr. made it seem like there was no hope!) I was devasted and very depressed.... I tried to keep an open mind but it wasn't working until I came across this site and it helped me alot. I know now that i'm not alone and there is hope. Please keep me in your prayers. I am counting down the days and it feels like forever!!!!!

Having faith in God always!
bahama mama242
j48690
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:31 am

Oh my goodness, I am so glad that doctor stopped you. This could end in miscarriage but it is too early to diagnose. I do hope you get the best of news.
my blighted ovum scare

Kay

Postby j48690 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:43 am

Hey Kay i read your story and was amazed at how strong u were. Reading your story msde me feel a little less worried and made me feel like there is hope. I too, don't feel like i'm pregnant anymore. My stomach used to be a little hard with a litle roundish look but now its back to normal. My breast used to be soar but now they are fine! That worries me the most... Y don't i still feel pregnant? Does that mean the fetus stopped growing!???
bahama mama242
j48690
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:24 pm

I don't think I was very strong during those weeks :) I was actually a mess. Thankfully my fear of the D&C procedure outweighed my misery otherwise, honestly, I don't know if I would have waited.

After all the stories I hear, I really believe the mind has a lot to do with the symptoms we do or do not feel. Of course, hCG sets in a host of pregnancy symptoms but I think our minds can block them out as amazing as that is. I lost all my symptoms and my tummy seemed to get flat again. It really was all in my mind. Of course, symptoms can disappear as well with a miscarriage so time is the only true test of whether a pregnancy is viable (as miserable as that it). Hang in there.

(((hugs)))
my blighted ovum scare

Kay

Re: Missed Miscarriage? UPDATE: MISDIAGNOSED

Postby 3boys&counting » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:03 pm

Thanks for sharing your stories, they have given me much hope.

Yesterday, my husband and I had our first ultrasound and ob visit since confirming our 5th pregnancy (We have 3 wonderful sons, and lost our first pregnancy). The appointment was bumped up from it's original date due to some bleeding I am having. The ob n.p. that examined me said that I was still having some bleeding, but that everything else felt fine. She even commented that though I should be around 8 weeks, my uterus felt like it was 10 weeks along. (I know I have an extremely tilted uterus, so I chalked that information up to that), though her guess was maybe twins?! We laughed and then were led to our ultrasound.

It was a transvaginal ultrasound, and the tech's silence and nonsharing of what she was seeing was making me very nervous. Before she left the room to go get my doctor, she briefly showed us the screen, which I clearly saw a baby, sac, etc... She told me to stay put, and my husband and I held hands and our breaths till she returned. The doctor then told me that they were going to remeasure the fetus, because they needed to be sure it was over 6mm. She told me to ignore their "tech-talk" and she would let me know what was going on in a minute. After a minute or two, she informed us that because the baby is measuring between 8-9mm, they should definitely see a heartbeat and they don't. The news was devastating. However, they did NOT do any blood work on me at any point, so I have no idea if my HCG levels have dropped. Should I demand that they do blood work? The doc told me that either the heart never developed, or it simply stopped beating. They haven't said why I am bleeding either. They're assuming my body has started the miscarriage process, but the blood is extremely Brownish in color, and I am NOT in any pain, nor do I feel any less pregnant at this point. (other than very depressed now, and concerned about every little physical feeling I am having.)

We opted to schedule another u/s for next Thursday, as neither of us can believe our baby could be so big w/o a heartbeat! Does a baby grow at all w/o a heartbeat? They claim me to be around 8 weeks, but I KNOW when conception occurred and technically it would be me around 6 weeks, 3 days right now, give or take. So, even though the baby measures so big (my 2nd son was ginormous at 8.5lbs at birth btw) is it possible that the baby's true age, combined with my tilted uterus would be an issue in detecting a heartbeat? Or, what if there ARE two babies in there, and the FRONT baby hasn't made it... could there be a second baby behind it that is why I still feel pregnant? (referring to the fact that my uterus felt to be 10 weeks by the n.p.) I've heard many stories of the "hidden sibling" and many mothers never knowing that there is a 2nd baby.

I know this is a long post. I apologize. I am desperately trying to keep my heart positive and my hopes up. We have prayed and will continue to do so. Like I said, I only bleed now and again (mostly during a bm), the blood is dark, I have no pain, no cramping, and we definitely SAW a baby! It's in God's hands. The one thing I truly learned thus far is that I thought I was done having children after #3... I'd gladly welcome a #4 and still hope to do so in the Spring of '11. Please pray for us, and thank you dearly for sharing these stories... this forum has lifted my spirits and given us more hope!
3boys&counting
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:19 pm

I am a firm believer that one ultrasound can not diagnose a miscarriage in the first trimester. You are doing the right thing by asking for an ultrasound one week out. We have had some cases where a baby who was seen without a heartbeat the week before does actually have one. I don't know if that is the case with you but, please, keep us updated. As during any pregnancy, be seen right away if there are any signs of complication.

(((hugs)))
my blighted ovum scare

Kay

Postby Han7 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:30 pm

Hi 3boys&counting

What happened? Hope it all went well.
Han7
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby kraftschild » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:36 am

Hi,

I am trying to post a new topic, but I cannot seem to---I hope my story is appropriate under this topic. And I would love responses.

I will to keep this concise and easy to read.

My LMP: 10/3/13
ovulation: not sure
spotting: 10/28/13 (could have been implantation or ovulation although I never spotted when pregnant with my daughter and I do not
recall bleeding with ovulation in the past
+ urine hcg: 11/12/13
beta quant: 5704 on 11/12/13
* my family doctor planted a seed in my head that we will cross our fingers that the pregnancy sticks because of my age (I am 44)
* it prompted me to look online at stats for my age (bad idea)
repeat beta quant: 8800 on 11/18/13 (had it drawn because I did not feel pregnant, probably after reading stuff on line)
1st ultrasound: 11/21/13 according to LMP i should have been 7 weeks. Gest sac measured 9.7 mm too early to date, no fetal pole, no
hb, OB said it could be early miscarriage or dates off
* feeling pregnant, intermittent nausea, breasts fuller, food aversions
repeat u/s: 12/16/13 according to LMP should be 10w4d, done by OB in her office, Gest sac measured 3.48 cm (= 9 weeks), CRL of
embryo measured at .84cm no heartbeat, embryo measured 6w6d
* still feel pregnant, doc says I should be at the very least be measuring 8 weeks (on 12/16/13) based on the HCG of 5704 from 11/12/13. she believes I will miscarry.
* I will have a repeat u/s on 12/31/13

I have read many posts of no embryo seen and then it shows up. What about if embryo seen but no HB? If anyone has had a story like this and all turned out well/or not well-- please reply!

Thanks!
KBB
kraftschild
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child
Next

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories