UPDATE Cautiously Pregnant..UPDATE: GOOD NEWS!

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

UPDATE Cautiously Pregnant..UPDATE: GOOD NEWS!

Postby MargaretEllen » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:06 pm

UPDATE FOR ALL SUFFERING LIKE I DID!!!!!!

Went to my sonogram on Friday 8/3 and what did we see??? An 8 week baby with a booming E> at 179 BPM. Oh, and just in case anyone wonders, I changed OB offices and the people here are MUCH nicer. Everyone there congratulated me as I left and they sent me out the door with three bags of samples and goodies.

:)8

I hope this helps someone else who's told their hcg is "too low" or they only have a gestation sac, and they're not "progressing"

Wish me a H&H 9 Months!!!

:)O<

---------------------------------------------------------------

History:

5/29/07 - LMP

6/11/07 - OV Day 1 (per OV Watch)
6/12/07 - OV Day 2 (per OV Watch)

7/1/07 - I got a faint positive on HPT
7/2/07 - hcg = 27 prog = 22
7/6/07 - hcg = 134 prog = 26
7/9/07 - hcg = 464
7/11/07 - hcg = 1246

U/S 7/9/07 - gestational sac is 4.4 mm
U/S 7/18/07 - gestation sac is 11 mm

I should be 7w3d by my LMP and ovulation date. However, they're saying the sac measures only 5.5 weeks and that they should be able to see something in it, and it's empty. I had another hcg draw but won't get the results til Friday.

I'm so upset, I just know it's going to end badly. They're already treating me like I'm not pg. I heard them congratulating a lady that just got a positive hpt and giving her a welcome pack, but with me they're more like, yeah you're not where you should be. I've never once had anyone there says congrats. I guess I already know why though, by those calculations I would have gotten a positive test at 3 weeks and 4 days, is that even possible??? It seems obvious to me that it's just a blighted ovum. I read online that their should be SOMETHING in the sac by 10 mm.

Oh yeah, my uterus is antroverted, so I think that means it's not tipped right? lol Oh and for those who know what it means (cause I'm not sure) the endometrial stripe is 1.9cm.

:sos
Last edited by MargaretEllen on Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
MargaretEllen
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby dspagnoli » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:01 pm

Hi there!
I so hate the response of the OB staff to a POSSIBLE nonviable pregnancy. I swear they made it sound like there was a piece of gum on my shoe that I should come in quickly to remove. I think that if they are going to be able to detect m/cs so early that they should receive more training on empathy and how to treat the woman through the ordeal. I am so sorry for what you are going through. I went to the doctor at 7 weeks as well with my blighted ovum and it sounds similar to your visit. However, I have seen many women here who have had similar visits and have had positive outcomes. Do you have another u/s planned? I think that is really the best way to determine how things are progressing. The HCG can continue to rise and isn't always the best indicator. I am hoping that they are wrong. I won't tell you not to worry because I know first hand that it is impossible not to. Just know that we are all here for you and we have been there.
Dawn 35 DH 55
Sammy 4 1/12/04
Stepdaughters 19 and 24
Angel baby 1/16/06
Sally arrived 1/16/08
dspagnoli
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby MargaretEllen » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:32 am

The dr called and said the hcg from 7/18 was 9237. Now I'm concerned cause I'm reading people here saying that doesn't tell me anything. They're not doing a follow up ultrasound until 8/3.
MargaretEllen
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby aussiegirl » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:13 pm

What the other girl was trying to tell you, in not so many words, is that sometimes the actual numbers of hcg can't tell the whole story. I don't think she meant not to look at them at all. It's just there is such a range within each level that could mean both viable or nonviable, and you need the ultrasound plus a comparison of hcg levels to really see what's fully going on.

Right now, it looks like your numbers might be doubling, which is what they are supposed to do if the pregnancy is viable. I'm going to go look up your ranges for each of your days that you had blood drawn.
E> E> E> E>
me-32 dh-39
Luciano Luis born Feb 25th, 2008
Gianluca McGregor born May 7th, 2006
miscarriage at 12 weeks, Dec/04
aussiegirl
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby aussiegirl » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:23 pm

I was hoping this would be more reassuring, but according to the chart that Lovinmom posted under hcg levels (reading room), on July 2nd your levels should have been at around 5000-13000.

On the day you had your ultrasound 7/18, your levels should have been between 40,000 and 80,000. And again, according to the chart they should have been able to see even a heartbeat at that point.

However, with all of that said, there are still women on this site who have had low hcg levels. But as long as they were doubling still ended up having healthy babies. I hope you are one of those people.

I still think it sucks how people in the medical profession still don't know how to be tactful and sensitive with people who are going through such an emotional ordeal.
E> E> E> E>
me-32 dh-39
aussiegirl
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby MargaretEllen » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:36 pm

are you going my LMP? According to their records I am 5w3d measuring by gestation sac on 7/18 when my hcg was 9,237.
MargaretEllen
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby aussiegirl » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:41 pm

Yeah, I was going by your lmp, because that's what most levels go by. If you are measuring two weeks behind, usually that is because something isn't quite right.
You said you don't have a tilted uterus, which is sometimes the cause of people measuring behind.
me-32 dh-39
aussiegirl
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby dspagnoli » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:46 am

I think I might call the Dr. and urge him to have the u/s sooner. I am surprised they are making you wait that long. I had one like every week when they were uncertain about the viability of the pregnancy. Unless you just wanted to wait that long.
Also, she was right. I wasn't trying to say that the HCG wasn't important at all, but just that it should be used in conjunction with other tests. However, my doctors (first and second opinion) refused to even retest mine because he said that it just wasn't a reliable indicator of a blighted ovum. I really wanted him to retest because I thought it was helpful to know what my levels were, but they just used ultrasound as a measure. Do you have any appts. before 8/3? Did they doctor say anything about your HCG level?
Dawn 35 DH 55
Sammy 4 1/12/04
Stepdaughters 19 and 24
Angel baby 1/16/06
Sally arrived 1/16/08
dspagnoli
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby MargaretEllen » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:25 am

Bump & an update!
MargaretEllen
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:28 am

Oh my goodness and what an awesome update this is. Moving this over to the Misdiagnosed forum because we just don't have as many awesome stories from women with anteverted uteri.

I am so happy for you. Keep us updated...yay!!!
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Hope Seeker

Postby hopeseeker » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:12 pm

Kay
Kay
I am so glad I have found this website. I am 6weeks / 4 Ges pregnant. I had a tubal reversal performed one year ago. My doctor who performed my tubal reversal has been sending me for labs the last two weeks. My first week they were good. Second week a little low so he wanted me to get a u/s (he's in another state) to make sure I didn't have a eptopic preg. I went to the ER, and had labs with a u/s. The labs looked good, and there was a sac in the uterus (not eptopic), but they didn't see anything else. The doctor told me to prepare for the worse. I have to go in tomorrow for another u/s to see if there is a change. I do have a tilted uterus. I believe in prayer. This site gives me hope.
Thank you!
hopeseeker
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:54 pm

Hopeseeker, you are just too early still. Your doctor should never have worried you this soon. Everything sounds hopeful still. Hang in there.
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories