My Misdiagnosed Miscarriage

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

My Misdiagnosed Miscarriage

Postby liza » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:06 pm

I found out I was pregnant on June 29. On June 30 I started to spot and went into the ER on July 1. The doctor took my levels and did an ultra sound and came to the conclusion that I had already had a miscarriage. They didn't see anything on the u/s and my hCG level was only 85.

On Tuesday, July 3, I went to the lab to have my blood drawn. They wanted to make sure my levels were going down.

On Thursday, July 5, I got a call and was told that my levels had gone up to 279. Say what? I went to the lab once again and had my blood drawn and on Friday, July 6, I went into the doctor and told my levels were now 923. You are indeed still pregnant.

Today I went in for my first u/s. We saw the fetal sac and yolk and I was told that so far everything looks normal and right where things should be. I am about five weeks today.

Of course, anything can happen in the next few weeks, but right there is my misdiagnosed miscarriage! I'm so annoyed that the ER doctor didn't take the time to do a physical exam to even check if my cervix was open or closed, he didn't really ask me any detailed questions about my cycle or symptoms. If he had, he'd have realized that it was too early to see anything on the u/s. I'm very glad he didn't offer to do a D&C or I may have lost my baby! Now I know better than to just take the doctors opinion when I have barely any of the symptoms that go with a miscarriage.
liza
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby CINC » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:56 am

That is great news... time and again doc are so quick to doom a pg... It's mind boggling. I can't believe he didn't even ask about your LMP or anything. UGH!!! Anyway- i hope the rest of your pg progresses uneventfully and you are able to enjoy every minute!!
Nicole
~I can do all things through Him that strengthens me.~
Mom to Elijah Samuel 1/3/03 & Isaac Kallel 9/23/06
CINC
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby CGR » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:20 am

SO happy for you :)8

ER docs are the worst! Well, they are good at telling you if your death is imminent, but they aren't trained for much else. I can honestly say that after working for years in a hospital. Unless you have profuse bleeding, an ER generally isn't helpful for the early stages of pregnancy. Especially if the doc overlooks so many basic things, as he did with you. Better to see your OB pronto.

It is so great to hear things are looking good!
CGR
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories