Misdiagnosed miscarriage and given cytotec

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

Postby Sunflower » Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:07 pm

Hi

I had some bleeding at 5 weeks. My doctor recommended that I go for an ultrasound at 6 weeks. It was at this ultrasound that the doctor told me I had miscarried and recommended that I take the drug cytotec.

I went home and started taking the prescribed cytotec drugs the next day. For the next couple of weeks I didn't feel well so went back to my doctor. She sent me for another ultrasound to make sure I had not got an infection. To my amazement and delight I was told my baby was alive.

I am now 38 weeks pregnant, praying and hoping that the drugs I took have had no side effects on my baby.

Has anything like this happened to anyone else.
Sunflower
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Ginpop » Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:44 pm

OH MY GOODNESS! Now that it what I call a miracle. Please tell me you switched doctors after they told you at 6 weeks (which is WAY to early to doom a pregnancy!!!) that you had miscarried!

I don't know anything about side effects of cyotec and honestly this is the first story I've seen where someone has taken it and then found out they still had a healthy pregnancy.

With all the blood tests and u/s done now a days I'm sure if somethng was seriously wrong with the baby they would have caught it by now.

Enjoy the rest of your pregnancy - I hope you have a safe and healthy delivery.
Gini - 36 with 2 boys Addison 16, Xander 5
m/c at 9 weeks 8/05 , Surprise BFP on 5/31/07! m/c twins on 6/10/07 - one ectopic
Surprise BFP again on 7/31/07!!! OMG!
3/28/08 - Riley Emerson was born (finally)
Ginpop
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Sunflower » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:10 pm

Hi Ginpop

Thank you very much for your kind message.

I did switch doctors. The doctor I am currently with is happy with the pregnancy todate so hopefully my baby won't have any side effects.

It's a pity I hadn't seen this website before I took cytotec as you said I now also think 6 weeks was to early to diagnose a miscarriage by u/s alone.

Mind yourself and take care.

Thanks again for your message.
Sunflower
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby bunnys » Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:02 pm

What a crazy story! Congrats on your healthy pregnancy.

I hope your baby is healthy and happy and completely unaware of the meds.
bunnys
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:04 am

That is horrible but I am so thankful the Cytotec did not work. I am not a fan of that stuff to begin with.

Congratulations to you!
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Postby heifer21 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:48 pm

I know this is an older post but I am currently going through the same thing you did. I have an ultrasound next week at 7 weeks, but took the cytotec at 5 weeks. I was just wondering how everything turned out for you and your baby. I am just clinging to every bit of hope I can find. Your reply would be greatly appreciated.
heifer21
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:02 pm

Heifer21, you might try sending her a PM here. Many of the women get an email notification when they receive a private message and, hopefully, you can find out more from her.

(((hugs)))
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Postby mycuppatea » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:25 am

I had 2 previous miscarriages, 1 last year and 1 in March this year. This is currently my 3rd pregnancy. I had spotting so decided to see my doctor. I was diagnosed with 6wk3days pregnant and due to my history, my doctor injected me with proluton and prescribed progesterone pessary to be taken vaginally to help maintain my pregnancy. One week later I had black spotting and did an u/s. Doctor could only see sac but told me baby already "dissolved". I was diagnosed with recurrent miscarriage and given cytotec 200mcg to be taken twice daily for 2 days. I had watery spotting for 2 days. Symptoms persisted and my tummy kept growing until I went to see another doctor only to know that I was still pregnant with a 29.3mm crl baby! Now I'm clinging to every hope I can that this baby is normal. I'm currently proceeding to 2nd trimester and hope everything goes well.
mycuppatea
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories