This is my first post here. I wanted to share my story with you.
When my son was 12 months old he was hospitalized with a severe skeletal bone infection. He was an inpatient in the hospital for almost 3 months. During that time I began to feel as if I might be pregnant. I went and bought a pregnancy test from the hospital pharmacy. I took the test at 4:00 A.M. one night and it came back positive! I woke up my DH who was asleep on our cot in the hospital room to tell him the news. We were both thrilled and excited.
Several days later I began to have some severe cramps and spotting. I was terribly worried. I had several miscarriages prior to the birth of my son and I was terrified it was happening again. I was in quite a bit of pain and I was incredibly upset.
We had just moved to a new area and so I had no established OB/GYN. I had already made an appointment with one for several weeks later. I called his office and was told that they would not see me because I was not yet an established patient. They told me I would have to go to the ER for help.
I went to the ER at the adult hospital next to the children's hospital where my son was a patient. The ER did a pregnancy test and then an ultrasound.
The ultrasound tech went out and got the doctor. The Doctor then came into the room and looked at the ultrasound for awhile. They would not allow me to see the screen. Then they informed me that I had a very large subchorionic bleed between the placenta and the wall of my uterus. The Doctor explained to me that this bleed was incompatible with life. He told me that a miscarriage was inevitable. I began to cry and then he left the room.
Several minutes later the Doctor returned to the room. He brought a syringe with him. I asked him what the syringe was for. He told me that it was an injection that would cause me to have an abortion. He explained that this would be much easier for me if I would take the shot. Then I could go home and rest and potentially avoid a D&C by miscarrying on my own. He then explained I could try again more quickly for another child.
I was shocked! I wanted this baby so badly and here was the Doctor telling me that I was going to have another miscarriage. I told the Doctor that I was NOT going to take the shot. I explained to him that since at the present time my baby was still alive that I would like to go home and spend whatever time I had left with my child. I told him that I would make the decision about a D&C when the time came.
Well.......My Beautiful and Healthy 6 month old baby girl is asleep in my lap right now!! I would have lost the chance to be her mother if I hadn't listened to my gut instinct to walk away that day. I feel so fortunate to be her mother and the mother of my beautiful son.
Thanks for listening!