Doc was 'certain' & wanted to a D&C; she was wrong!

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

Doc was 'certain' & wanted to a D&C; she was wrong!

Postby metazone » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:16 pm

Thank God I asked a question in yahoo answers about my wife’s pregnancy. I put my questions into yahoo answers and a person mentioned your website. What your website does is that it helps to add much-needed support for people like my wife and me who are not professionals and who may find ourselves confronted with certain people in the medical community whose closed-mindedness and ego are hidden under a facade of professional identity and certainty (sorry if this sounds a little bitter; I don't want to disparage the entire medical profession but I do want to relate my story to help to at least remove the pedestals that we sometimes put doctors on).

My wife went to her family’s obgyn group on April 19, 2007 (after a Home Pregnancy kit said she was pregnant on April 10). My wife kept strict records of her period and days of fertility and told the doctor that her last period started on March 8. The doctor did a pap smear and an ultrasound and saw only the sac but said it was early. That night, she started to bleed and saw some clotting and called her doctor; the doctor said it’s not uncommon for her first pregnancy (and because of the pap smear, etc.). The bleeding continued (but was spotty) through April 21. The bleeding then changed to a redder color and became heavier April 21 (actually, at 3am the morning of April 22). We went to the emergency room. An u/s was performed and the emergency room doctor said there was just an empty sac & scheduled an appointment for my wife w/ her obgyn group for April 23.

We went April 23 to her obgyn group and a different doctor in the group analyzed her and did an u/s. She said that based on this date, the baby is 6 weeks, 4 days old (based on counting from March 8 to April 23 = 46 days) and that we SHOULD see ‘something that looks like a fish swimming around in the sac’. We should also hear a heartbeat. Neither is present (just an empty sac). She also pointed out some fibroids (small). She concluded that there’s no viable pregnancy and that her experience tells her that it’s certain. She recommended to schedule a D&C or to wait until April 27 to do an ultra-sound again. I asked her how certain she was and she said that her years of experience says that it's certain. She says there’s a risk of infection if we wait but that if nothing is seen on April 27, we can have the D&C done on April 30. Again, she is convinced it’s a miscarriage (telling us that the reason she waits is essentially for psychological reasons given that parents want to at least realize they've given it some extra time).

We decided to get another opinion and my wife scheduled an appointment with a different obgyn group of doctors for May 3 (this coming Thursday). As a side note, I go to a psychiatrist (medical doctor) for OCD/panic disorder and I told him on April 27 (at my appointment) about my wife’s bleeding and the fact that we’re waiting and what I read on the internet. I also said that we’re doubting the obgyn doctor’s opinion. He became very defensive and said that 30 years ago (!) he worked a year in Obgyn at a busy hospital and never saw ANY bleeding caused by a pap smear or u/s; I mentioned that other doctors say this happens and he became even more incredulous and dismissive (!!). I then mention what I’ve read on the internet and he went into his standard dismissal of all non-professional internet forums as filled with misinformation and negative bias (!!). He basically said that my wife is miscarrying (!!). I mean, I know that many people have negative agendas and I've seen the over-the-top and one-sided presentations on the web but it's like ALL of life -- we need to navigate through all sources of information to ensure it's correct (including doctor's info!).

Back to the story: my wife went today (Monday, April 30, 2007) to the new obgyn group because they had an opening. A midwife (Registered Nurse) performed an U/S on her and … she saw the fetal pole and a healthy heartbeat (!!!!!!). The excitement in my wife's voice was BEAUTIFUL!!!! B)

Now, allow for some cathartic venting :): I keep an open mind with things. Why can’t this certain segment of doctors do the same? I started to get a perception that perception where I was going to dismiss the stories on your website as being rare and even potentially in the realm of ‘urban legend’ because of a combination of the following: (1) the certainty of the doctor at my wife’s obgyn group, (2) the body language and lack of information from the emergency room physician; and (3) my psychiatrist’s strong and professional-sounding opinions. I’m excited now but ANNOYED. The stress that was caused to my wife by the wrong diagnosis makes me very angry. :() My wife is very self-aware and doesn’t use emotions gratuitously; when I saw the tears come down her face, my knees felt weak. The lesson is that doctors are just human beings who have some information and experience. That’s it. I’m a software engineer and I’ve met many people who have learned things about software engineering and programming (some things that I haven’t been exposed to) without ever going to school but, instead, by reading info on the net (and participating in design discussions on various forums). They know more than me in some areas (and I have 20 years experience). I never feel threatened by this; it’s all just information and whether we get it in a formal classroom or in newer forums -- it's all the same, right? I just want doctors to do the same and keep an open mind about all possibilities and potentially new information from ‘non professionals’. The irony of this particular segment of doctors complaining about internet biases but being completely unaware as to their own indulgence in this negative dynamic doesn't escape me; can we add some courses on basic self-awareness and human dynamics to medical school accreditation? ;). People tell me that when I go to the pediatricians during my child’s development, that I need to do my own research and bring a notebook and constantly question the doctors. I’m going to stick with this advice. I’ll stop here because I now want to concentrate on the positive :) :).

So, continue with your good job. I think the strength of your site is that it doesn’t come across as anti-medicine or anti-doctor and doesn’t have that over-the-top negative agenda screaming at you like many one-sided sites do. The stories come across as real and positive (I hope mine didn't come across to negative). I am happy and excited about my wife’s pregnancy – this is our first and I feel very good right now. It seems surreal - almost as if my wife hadn't called me. We went from depression to great joy. E>

Again, thanks for everything. T:)

P.S. My wife was still showing high fertitility on March 21 which led us to think that counting from the start of her last period had some potential flaws. We also wondered afterward why nothing was done to determine if my wife's uterus was tilted (maybe they know that automatically from the u/s?).

Thanks,
Bill in NJ
Bill
metazone
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby april1979 » Tue May 01, 2007 9:48 am

I can also tell you that women with fibroids, also are more prone to bleeding than women that do not have them. I am sorry that the OB was so quick to doom things...I pray that all continues to go well...keep us posted...
april1979
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Tue May 01, 2007 10:07 pm

Bill, thank you so much for sharing your story. Congratulations to you and your wife! I love hearing these happy endings.

Kay
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Thank you

Postby mellie_ann » Tue May 01, 2007 10:56 pm

Bill, Thanks for your story of hope. I'm currently going through what you and your wife experienced. I have had some spotting (very light) for about a week. The first dr said it looks like a m/c. Dr. #2 said maybe not. Then I had an U/s last night. My U/s last night, according to the on-call dr. showed a "non-viable pregnancy"- just an empty sac. My HCG levels continue to rise. On the phone, the on-call dr (who knows this pregnancy is highly desired) asked me if I wanted to start methotrexate because she couldn't be sure that it wasn't an eptopic pregnancy (even though the sac was in the uterus) bc there was a small cyst in the tube (which I later learned is normal in early pregnancy). I went to a new dr today and she explained I could be just earlier along than I thought bc my HCG looked good. I can't believe a dr would suggest aborting a planned pregnancy is there is a chance of a viable pregnancy. While I may or may not have miscarried, I believe I should give it a chance; the only harm is that I may end up bleeding a lot and end up in the ER. A chance I'm willing to take, if there is a chance this baby is going to grow. Thanks again for your post... And I hope you don't find me too forward if I suggest you consider getting a new psychiatrist. It's common knowledge that pelvic exams or intercourse can cause spotting, and I don't believe it's healthy to get mental health treatment from someone who is so arrogant. (I speak as a licensed therapist). Also, many women who spot in early pregnancy go on to have perfectly healthy babies. Thanks again...

Melissa
mellie_ann
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Wed May 02, 2007 1:23 am

Melissa, I am so sorry you are going through this as well.

Question for you, how far along do you believe yourself to be? It is not uncommon here for women, especially women with tilted uteri, to look one to two weeks behind even when positive of dates. We've also heard too many stories of physicians dooming pregnancies far too early. Also, what have your hCG levels been so far?

(((hugs))) to you.
Kay
my blighted ovum scare

If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Postby Tanikit » Wed May 02, 2007 7:45 am

Thanks for sharing your story. It seems these problems are becoming very common. I think part of the problem is that no one has done a true study on early ultrasounds and every machine seems to be different and then the scanners experience also comes into play.

Why can't some doctors admit that right now they just can't tell and that it will take a few weeks rather than pushing for a D&C. Nature isn't as impatient as us humans are - we want things sorted out now. A baby at 5 weeks gestation still has another 35 weeks to grow. What is the harm in just waiting to see what happens for a few more weeks.

Admittedly miscarriages are very common early on, and it is heartbreaking for all concerned and I am sure doctors see loads of unhappy couples going through miscarriages, but don't make the figures higher than they should be. Thanks for your story. I wish you both a healthy pregnancy and the birth of a healthy baby.
Tanikit
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

I'll second that

Postby fraelissa » Wed May 02, 2007 9:38 am

My pregnancy just ended in a miscarriage, but at least in the process I figured out which doctor at the practice I've been going to I'll be seeing next time. That would be the one who had the sensitivity and honesty to tell me straight out that she had no idea what was going to happen, who told me a little about her own miscarriage experience, and who clearly laid out all the options for what we could do if my apparently abnormal pregnancy continued (as it looked yesterday morning like it could for a while).
fraelissa
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

What a beautiful story

Postby gemini1969 » Fri May 04, 2007 2:43 pm

Hi Bill:

Thank you for sharing your beautiful story. I have a couple of questions that maybe you, or somebody who has gone through what you and your wife have gone through, can answer or give some insight to.

When the original doctor wanted to do a D&C, as they saw the sac yet no evidence of a fetus (and your wife was bleeding/spotting) - did the doctor mention anything about her hcg levels going up slowly? Did your wife have any cramping, when she started having her bleeding?

The reason why I ask, I am thinking of getting a second opinion, but I am not sure at this point.

I was diagnosed as having a miscarriage, and I had bleeding w/some cramping. The reason why I was diagnosed as having a miscarriage was the bleeding, an empty sac appeared on my U/S, and my levels were increasing - but they were increasing slowly. So, I waited for the miscarriage to happen (and I thought it did about a week ago) - but I did not pass any tissue or blod clots, I still have light bleeding and my pregnancy symptoms have not lessened (my main symptom is very sore breasts that became very veiny - and they still are).

I am know left wondering if I had a missed miscarriage, an incomplete miscarriage or misdiagnosed miscarriage. It is very confusing for me at this time, as I still feel pregnant.

I am just wondering about the hcg levels and how much they elevated.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and Take Care
Julie
gemini1969
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Suze » Sat May 05, 2007 3:29 pm

Bill, Thanks for sharing your story. So - did you go back and tell that doctor who was so certain about the miscarriage that you wife's pregnancy is doing very well, thank you? The arrogance of some doctors makes me crazy.

My doctor at least only said he thought I was "probably" going to miscarry at 6w4d (due to bleeding, cramping, and dropping progesterone. he wouldn't do an u/s). WRONG-o. I'm still quite pregnant at 8w4d. Just shows that these things are hard to call.

Then there are the labor nurses who don't believe in fast deliveries because of all their "experience" about how long things take. During my last delivery, (preg #2) I went from 4 cm dilated to 10 cm in 20 minutes. The nurse had dismissed my warning that I progressed quickly during my first pregnancy. She then completely missed the fact that it was happening again (because she didn't think I had been in pain long enough for anything to be happening). She didn't call my doctor (who missed the delivery, as a result - despite it being an induced delivery), and didn't have the room prepared. Everyone makes mistakes. It's just the dismissiveness that kills me. It pays for people to get educated, get second opinions, push for they need, and watch out for their own health. Doctors and nurses aren't as perfect as their attitude would sometimes lead you to believe. Grrrr.
Suze
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

U GAVE ME HOPE

Postby felicia » Sat May 05, 2007 9:47 pm

I just wanted to thank you for posting your story! I ould have written it myself! My last period was on march 7th and we went for an u/s on april 23rd also and they saw the gestational sac and yolk sac but no fetal pole or heartbeat! I was very disappointed being our first and all! The dr is not really giving me much hope and am schedule for another u/s on may 15th but your story made me feel better knowing there is someone else with almost the exact same timing that was not able to see it at that time, however I am sorry you guys had to go through that but I am VERY happy for you guys that it turned out like it did! CONGRATS & THANK U!! :)
felicia
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Living4christ » Sat May 05, 2007 11:50 pm

Bill, CONGRATULATIONS! I am so happy you and your wife waited it out and got a second opinion. My daugher is 21 months and I was told that she was a blighted ovum at the beginning of my pregnancy wth her. The OB dr told me she was 100% sure that I would miscarry and that my pregnancy was not viable. She left no margin of hope for my pregnancy after takingHCG levels. I had a second opinion and my baby was seen with a strong heartbeat a week later. Believe me that was the longest week I ever had, not to mention the stress and sadness I felt. My baby girl was born healthy weighing 7lbs, 4oz. on 08/03/07. I call her my little miracle. Thank GOD I waited and did not go through with a D&C (abortion).
Living4christ
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

miscarriage

Postby sheikh » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:12 am

my wife is pregnant and bleeding now even heavier . she is more then 2 week pregnent and HCG was 344 at june 16 2007 would someone plz explain me Does doctor have to remove the dead tissues if it is miscarriage...? Or it automatically goes off in Mensus period..?
sheikh
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby CINC » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:59 pm

the dr may not have to remove the tissue - it will just depend on the situation. Some women have complete miscarriages on their own with no medical intervention while others need a D&C to remove everything. It is possible though to bleed during a normal pregnancy. Your wife should have an ultrasound to see what is going on.
Nicole
~I can do all things through Him that strengthens me.~
Mom to Elijah Samuel 1/3/03 & Isaac Kallel 9/23/06
CINC
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Living4christ » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:46 pm

I feel so bad. I previously posted the message below, but for some reason I posted my daughter's birth as the wrong year. My daughter was born on 08/03/05. Just wanted to correct this. Sorry for any confusion. ~Angie

Posted: Sun May 06, 2007 3:50 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bill, CONGRATULATIONS! I am so happy you and your wife waited it out and got a second opinion. My daugher is 21 months and I was told that she was a blighted ovum at the beginning of my pregnancy wth her. The OB dr told me she was 100% sure that I would miscarry and that my pregnancy was not viable. She left no margin of hope for my pregnancy after takingHCG levels. I had a second opinion and my baby was seen with a strong heartbeat a week later. Believe me that was the longest week I ever had, not to mention the stress and sadness I felt. My baby girl was born healthy weighing 7lbs, 4oz. on 08/03/05. I call her my little miracle. Thank GOD I waited and did not go through with a D&C (abortion).
Living4christ
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Update on misdiagnosed miscarriage

Postby metazone » Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:49 pm

As an update to our misdiagnosed miscarriage story, our son - Evan - was born 12/04/07 8)O. He's healthy and inducing all the requisite sleep deprivation in us that he can :) (we're still trying to figure out a schedule -- I go back to work this tuesday).

A couple of bumps along the way: my wife had a pre-term labor scare a couple of months before he was born which required 2 steroid shots (for lung development in case of the preemie delivery) and 2 weeks bed rest (after the 2 weeks, the FFN protein test was no longer positive; she stayed on disability after that). The labor/delivery went smoothly but he experienced 'respiratory depression' which is a fancy term to describe the fact that he didn't start breathing right away. Thankfully, the doctors and nurses had oxygen in him right away and the NICU team came in very fast and worked on him (we used a hospital with a level-3 NICU which seems like it's a wise thing to opt for). As an unprepared layman, what was apparently somewhat routine to the NICU people made my wife and I almost lose it psychologically (I had these doubts whether I would be able to keep handling the flood of emotions and anxiety and physical reactions that came rushing in -- the good news is that because of that experience, I now know that we humans are pretty resilient and it's helped me with other stuff). He spent 4 days in the NICU, initially with a respirator (heart-wrenching to see that) and then quickly to a C-PAP (nose-only device for aiding in breathing) and then quickly to nothing (not even an incubator) -- he then rapidly progressed through all the just-to-be-safe tests and, most importantly, satisfied my hypervigilant requirements for neural and physical health (I apparently had a reputation in there for needing detailed and specific assurances; the nurses and doctors in Monmouth Medical Center's NICU were EXCELLENT with all of this).

Anyway, our world has been turned upside down and I'm experiencing the anxiety and self-doubt (as to whether I can really do all of this :sos ) that are common to many new parents. He's cute as a button and has so many gestures, facial expressions, and funny behaviors that I think we've decided to keep him -- although I do know that the return policy has been extended given the holiday season so ... :) <<<<JUST KIDDING, Evan!! >>>> E>
Bill
metazone
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Welcome Evan!

Postby MomofBeau » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:57 pm

Congrats to the new parents. What an awesome ending. (beginning...) Don't worry. We all wonder if we're capable from time to time. They are so precious, ya just want to be perfect, I know. You'll make mistakes and you'll do things just right. He was given to YOU and you will be fabulous. Merry Christmas. Your experience makes me smile.
-Denise
God is good no matter what!
m/c sweet baby 04/85
dd 11/87, dd 03/89, ds 07/06
m/c sweet baby 12/07
MomofBeau
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby LatinLady » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:52 pm

Reading these stories really brings some hope. I went to the ER on friday the 14th of December becasue I had some spotting. The doctors did an ultrasound and could not find a heartbeat. I'm not sure what day I conceived but I know that it wasn't before October the 7th 2007, so the most I could be is 9wks. A week and a day before I went to the hospital I had been to the ER and was told I had the flu, an ultrasound was done and the doctors said the baby was fine and had a heartbeat. Well when they did the ultrasound a week later on the 14th of Dec the doctors said they couldn't even find the baby, and recommended that I have a d&C done immediately. Im scheduled to go in on wednesday of this week Dec 19th for the procedure, but I feel like they are moving to fast. When I asked the doctor what had happened to the baby he said that because I was so early in my pregnancy my body absorbed the baby. I haven't had bleeding, just spotting, and I haven't experienced any cramping. Am i holding on to false hope. I just feel if I get this D&C i'll always wonder about the "what if." This would of been me and my husbands first child, we've been together almost five years married for three, and I just want to give him a child. Someone been in a similar situation? :H
Wannababe
LatinLady
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

hcg

Postby MomofBeau » Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:26 pm

[b]LatinLady[/b]
have you gotten hcg levels checked??? Please get at least that done twice to see if they are rising...
God is good no matter what!
m/c sweet baby 04/85
dd 11/87, dd 03/89, ds 07/06
m/c sweet baby 12/07
MomofBeau
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:55 am

Thanks for the update and congratulations on little Evan. I remember your story and love hearing these happy endings. Congrats to the both of you!
my blighted ovum scare

Kay

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories