My misdiagnosed story (baby found at 10 1/2 weeks)

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

My misdiagnosed story (baby found at 10 1/2 weeks)

Postby BeccaB » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:39 pm

Hi, everyone. My name is Becca. I'm a 32, soon to be 33, stay at home mom(and photographer). I have a beautiful 2-year-old son and my husband and I have been trying to conceive #2 since November 2005. We finally were tested and put on Clomid in August '06. On January 7, the morning my period was due, I took a hpt and finally there was the double pink line. It was faint but definitely there, just like when I was pregnant with my son. I called the doc and they set me up to come in on Jan 29, I would be 7w1d so they said I would have a vaginal u/s. My husband and I went to my appt and were very excited about getting to see our little bean. The doc found a sac that measured 5w, big and round but nothing in it. He said we were probably off on dates(which I knew we weren't because we'd been on clomid and I had been religiously keeping track of Everything) and he wanted to do a beta hcG blood test and repeat it 2 days later just to be sure. So, they call me the next day and tell me my levels are 9152. Really good, but kind of high for the u/s that showed only 5w. I repeated the test at the 48 hour mark. This time the doctor called me instead of the nurse so right away I knew something was up. He said my number only rose to 10000 and this meant the pregnancy was not viable. He wanted to schedule a d&c. I asked if we could try and let it happen naturally and he said yes but at any time I could call him to schedule the procedure. I talked to my husband and we decided to call the doc's office and ask for a second opinion from my regular ob and see if she could repeat the scan just to make me feel better. She scheduled me to come in on Feb 13th. I would be 9w2d. We went in hoping for some good news. She looked and looked and found a sack with a bunch of sludge in it. No fetal pole, no heart beat, nada. So, she told us she was sure there was nothing there and that she was not going to give me anything to start my period or schedule a d/c, we were just going to let nature and my body take it's course. She thought it would be within a week that I would finally miscarry. She schedule me to come in 2 weeks later to see how things were going. On the 21st, I called and told them that I still had no cramping or spotting and the first doctor offered to do the d/c again and my husband and I turned it down once more since I had an appt Feb 26(today) and I would ask my ob what to do. So, today, I went in by myself since I was sure my ob was going to decide to schedule the d/c and I wasn't going to make my husband go for just that. Well, to my surprise, my ob wanted to do another vag u/s to see if my body was reabsorbing the tissue. When she inserted the probe, it was a different machine this time, she looked in the spot she had seen before and there was nothing there. She then moved it around and pushed down a bit and there it was. Our baby. E> Heartbeat 176, measuring 10w4d, only 4 days shy of what we had originally thought. My doc was speechless. Then she and I and the nurse were all laughing, smiling and crying at the same time. She told me she was so glad I had turned down the d/c from the other doc and that I had decided against taking any hormones to start my period. The baby's heartbeat is really strong and he/she was jumping up and down and wiggling. My doc's only concern is that my fluid is low. She is going to check it again in 2 weeks. So this finally brings me to my question: has anyone had a low fluid problem early on and had it fix itself? Or does anyone know if it can be fixed? I would appreciate any help at all and would appreciate your prayers :H that our baby is going to be healthy and fine. I have been clinging to this website and all of you since I found it in early February. I'm praying for all of you as well. thank you
BeccaB
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby namaste11 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:00 pm

Oh, wow, Becca - that's FANTASTIC!!! :)8

I'm so very happy for you and for your resolve to just hang in there and let your body have the final say. Even though for some, like me, it's really not happening this time, it's so wonderful to see it for those of you that it does happen for.

Congratulations and I'll keep you and your whole family in my prayers.

Wishing you a happy, healthy and comfortable pregnancy,
Andy

:)O
Andy (38) and Jack (36)
Anna Kate (7y) Jacqueline (5y) Alexandra (2y) Samantha (2y) Vanessa (newborn)
5 precious souls in heaven playing with our dog McKinley
namaste11
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby InHisTime » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:50 pm

What an wonderful story! I am so happy for you and your family and am praying that the low fluid doesn't become a problem. May you have a blessed pregnancy and delivery to a healthy little one! Thanks for sharing your miracle story here - you will be an encouragement to many!

~Judy
InHisTime
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby BeccaB » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:36 am

Andy- thank you so much for your well wishes and prayers. I really appreciate it. I am so sorry for your loss. I know your heart must be breaking and the waiting makes it even more tough.
BeccaB
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby BeccaB » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:38 am

Judy- thank you so much for your well wishes and prayers. It is so nice to find so many kind people here who truely care and are genuinely concerned. Thank you again!
BeccaB
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby april1979 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:39 am

Outstanding news!!! I am not sure what they can do for low fluid...I know that my sister lost a baby that had low fluid...but there may have been additional issues that I am not aware of. Please keep us posted...and know that there are many prayers coming your way!!!
april1979
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby BeccaB » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:50 am

Just a quick update for all of you. I had another u/s today because I had some red spotting. The baby looks great (fhr 171) and my fluid had almost doubled since Monday and the baby measured 11w1d(Monday it was 10w4d). Prayers go a long way! :H Thank you all so much for your thoughts and prayers. I'll keep you updated. They're still going to keep a close watch, especially because of the spotting.
Wishing you all well and lots of baby dust!!
:)O Becca
Becca(33) and Jeff(37)
Jack (9/19/04)
Little Miracle due (9/16/07)
BeccaB
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby april1979 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:58 am

Sounds like things are great!!! I will continue to pray for you and your little bean...please keep us posted...
april1979
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby leopardgrrl23 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:37 am

Becca,
What a fantastic story! I am SO HAPPY for you, your family, and that lucky little baby in there. I hope the rest of your pregnancy is completely uneventful (you know what I mean!) and awesome. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers. Congratulations!

-Jess :P
leopardgrrl23
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:33 pm

Wow Becca, what an awesome story. Thank you so much for sharing.

Spotting happens to many women. I'm sure you already know that vaginal exams, trans-vaginal u/s's, sex or even bowel movements can cause spotting. Just take some time to take it easy.

I'm relieved to hear your fluid levels are rising. Please keep us updated. I am praying that that little one just stay strong through it all :)
Kay

What a story

Postby Kellygirl » Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:57 am

Becca, thank you for sharing your story, unfortunaltely for me & my husband we are in the waiting stages right now. I went in for a regular pap smear & pelvic exam only to be told eveything seemed right on board. A week later in the Am I was scheduled for pre natal lab work & later that afternoon return for an ultrasound. During the transabdominal US they couldn't see a thing due to my uterus being tipped did A transvaginal US only to see a prefectly healthy little bean there with no heartbeat, my tears of joy as this would be our 1st baby turned quickly into heartbreak and deep deep sadness when the nurse performing the US said " Kelly @ this point there is no hearbeat you are about 9 wks 3 days and norhing, Its looks like @ some point there was a hb according to her to me I don't know how if no US was done, I did have bloodwork done yesterday and going again Monday to see what my HCG levels are. She then told me my optiobns were a D&C or abort. I can't imagine going through this.
I am so so sad crying non stop and sick to my stomach. I still feel very prgnant and just hope to GOD my HCG levels are where they need to be.

Thank you for sharing your story makes my glimmer of hope I have to hold on to that much better. 8:O
Hoping & praying for the best.. Kelly
Kellygirl
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby BeccaB » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:23 pm

Kelly,
I will be praying for you and your husband. Please keep me posted. I'm hoping your little bean is just playing hard to get like mine was.
Sending you lots of hugs and prayers!
:)O Becca
Becca(33) and Jeff(37)
Jack (9/19/04)
Little Miracle due (9/16/07)
BeccaB
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kellygirl » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:11 am

Hi Becca, thank you so much for your kind words and your prayers. Today I find out the results of my other HcG test. I did one last Friday got those results yesterday and they were 33654 ( which is a good sign ) I just hope having the weekend and all they doubled for my luck. I want this so bad. Its so hard for me to believe that they think I am 9 weeks. My husband and I have been going back and thinking, We know it had to have been around Valentine's day week. Then after that, I hope the dates are off and my little one is playing hard to get like me. I am a stubborn scorpio and this little whipper snapper would be one to.

I will definatley keep you posted, and thank you again for your wishes. I hope to GOD a miracle surfaces. I so want this!

Thanks again! Kelly :H :H :H :H
Hoping & praying for the best.. Kelly
Kellygirl
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby april1979 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:31 pm

Becca -

I am so glad that all is well!!! That is such GREAT news!!
april1979
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Becca...that is some story!!!

Postby Betsy68 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:16 pm

You've given me so much hope that I really needed to hear today. I started my 8th week of pregnancy (from my LMP) on April 17th and went for a routine scheduled check up so that the doctor could perform a transvaginal ultrasound for viability. There was a nice size gestational sac, a yolk sac and a fetus that was measuring in at 7 weeks....but no heartbeat. My uterus is not tilted,so he started talking about a D&C to be scheduled and my mind was just spinning....I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Is there any hope.....any at all that a heartbeat will show up in a week? I told him I wanted to wait one more week before a D&C was performed and have an ultrasound performed again and I'll make a decision from there. I'm terrified....is it possible that I might get good news next Tuesday? Someone please give me some insight....I'm a wreck!
Betsy68
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby namaste11 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:48 pm

Betsy,

I'm so sorry you're in this situation. However, if there's anything at all that I've learned from all the posts on this site, it's that ANYTHING is possible.

I'm glad that you're cautious and asked for at least a week to go back and recheck before you go forward with deciding anything. So much happens in the early weeks of pregnancy, and it's just so hard to make a definitive diagnosis about how the pregnancy will (or won't) go.

I can't speak from personal experience about not seeing a heartbeat, but finding one later, but I know there are at least a few women at this board who can. I hope you get replies from them.

I can just offer my support and prayers for your strength to endure and for a positive outcome when you go back.

Please let us know what happens.

E> Andy
Andy (38) and Jack (36)
namaste11
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Betsy68 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:30 pm

Thank you so much for your encouraging words. I tried to find comfort in my friends and family who are wonderful and have surrounded me with such love at this point, but believe it or not, you --- a complete stranger, has made me feel so much better by your words of encouragment and past experience....sometimes you just need to know that you're not the only one going through this.....

Many thanks!
Betsy68
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby namaste11 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:21 pm

I do know exactly what you mean, and I'm so glad I'm able to help.

My friends, too, did the best they could to be supportive, but just couldn't fully grasp the depth of what goes on every day while you're living through this.

I'll continue to think of you and pray that all is developing as it is supposed to.

E> Andy
Andy (38) and Jack (36)
namaste11
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Mama to tha Max » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:36 am

Your story gives me so much hope! We conceived on Clomid and now have been diagnosed with possible blighted ovum.

We've stopped counting on the HCG because they weren't doubling but slowly and steadily going up. They were Tues 15,000, Thurs 16,000, and the following Monday 20,500.

We thought we saw fetal pole on the scan that measured 6w 1d when I should have been 8 w. I'm holding out hope that we'll find out baby too.
Wife to Shawn, Mama to Morgan (6) & Max (2)
Mama to tha Max
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby aloha888 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:24 pm

Betsy68,

Thank you for sharing your story. I'm in the same position like you. I found out that I have irregular sac, no heartbeat and fetal petal is too short. I was devastated to hear from my Gynecologist to decide D&C or let it miscarry naturally. I still have all the symptons of being pregnant: nausea and tingly on my breast. I have few spotting for the past 4 days nothing light bleeding as my normal menstruation. I want to wait for a week to retest the HCG level to make sure the blood level is up. I'm hoping that they will find the baby with a heartbeat. I'll be praying for you. Let us trust God. I'm 10 weeks and 9 days. It is so encouraging to read so many stories - miracle still happens when we put our faith in Him.

I'm not going to give up no matter what.

Aloha888
aloha888
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories