Update - My 23 week 'Blighted Ovum' is kicking me every day!

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

Update - My 23 week 'Blighted Ovum' is kicking me every day!

Postby RayRay » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:33 pm

I just wanted to post this story of hope, because I spent so much time looking at this site in an agonising two weeks wait to find out whether I had a baby inside me, or a 'blighted ovum'.

I went for a dating scan at around 7 weeks and was told that they could see nothing, but am empty sac on the scan. They treated me as though I should expect to miscarry what was probably a 'blighted ovum' and I was devastated and really stressed. I had to wait for another scan over a week later and it was an AGONISING week for me, my partner and even my 7 year old, who kept saying: "I hope we don't lose it!" as she had been there at the badly handled scan.

I asked whether I had a retroverted uterus and was told that I did not. I knew that could mean I would see the baby later on and that the view could be impaired for the scanner.

Two weeks later, we saw the fetal pole and then after that a heart beat. I was so relieved, but it took a while to get over that really shaky start. The shaky start turned out to be TOTALLY unnecessary. They simply looked too early. I am now 23 weeks and the baby is totally fine and guess what??? I DO have a retroverted uterus. I only found that out at my last scan, which was 22 weeks.

Don't give up hope when they give you early results. Retroverted or not...they get you in a state because sometimes people aren't good communicators or are natural pessimists and really...there's NO need for all the drama dn negativity and stress. They should shut their mouths til way later on in the process!!!

I am wishing strength and positive thinking to all those women in the horrible limbo land of waiting for that 'scan' that will tell them all is OK. Don't believe everything they tell you!!!!

RayRay xxxxxxx :)O<
RayRay
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby april1979 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:56 pm

So glad that you got great news!!! :)8
april1979
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby shelley75 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:27 pm

I hear ya!! My blighted ovum is due in 3 days; and I know all too well the agonizing wait to see if everything is o.k.
I can hardly believe some of these ladies are being told their pregnancy isn't viable before 6 weeks! It is horrible what these doctors put us through! 8:O
me~Shelley-34 DH~ Ashley 30
Madison Paige born 9/12/00
m/c 10/02
Zoe Annelise 02/27/07
Kara Jacqueline 04/18/09
shelley75
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:27 pm

RayRay, I am so glad you shared your story in here. You'll give so many women hope.

I just wish they wouldn't do this to women.
Kay

Postby ladybuggy » Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:47 pm

Thank you so much for sharing your success story!!!!

I am currently in the limbo you speak of. I have to wait til Tuesday to see if my "blighted ovum" is really that. I had my first u/s a few days ago and they said all they saw was an empty sac. Without any more info, my doc told me to expect to miscarry!!!!! According to my ovulation date, I would have been 6w3d that day and they said it looked like 5 weeks or less. I do have a tipped uterus, but doc said that makes no difference...yeah, right! We did HCG that day, 1404. 42 hours later it was 1770, not doubled but at least rising. Doc said based on that he would bet $ we won't see anything this Tuesday at my next u/s. I am also worried because my progesterone dropped from 17.46 to 12.47 and I am on Prometrium 200 mg twice daily (vaginally)...I upped it to 3 times a day yesterday, doc said it is a waste of time it won't help, but whatever.

The progesterone is the only thing that is truly worrying me since I don't see why it is dropping if I'm on suppositories :*(

But only Tuesday will tell. Hopefully. I am praying we see something because if it is empty again, it doesn't necessarily mean bad, it could still be too early, thus more limbo. :H

Thanks again!
Shannon
Mommy to Katelyn 7-7-06

Had D&C for blighted ovum 2-28-07

Natural m/c of second blighted ovum 5-25-07
ladybuggy
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Keep your hopes up.

Postby RayRay » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:22 pm

Hey Lady Buggy!

It is WAY too early for your doctor's pessimism. I actually think that they sound very depressed and negative adn maybe should seek some kind of training to enable them to relate to patients in a way which doesn't drag in their own issues...I mean it seriously sounded a little irrational.

I don't know much about progesterone, because they never tested mine, but try not to get too hung up o things like that. Everyone is different - all our bodies behave differently too and there are really no 'text book' pregnancies in reality.

I will be praying for you and sending you good thoughts,

RayRay.
RayRay
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby ladybuggy » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:17 pm

Thank you.

The doc I saw last week was not my regular doc, since my regular doc was on vacation. I spoke to my real doc tonight...he is soooo nice. I switched to him with this pregnancy, before I saw midwives but they are too far from my home now. I'm so glad I chose my doc and not the one who helped me last week. The guy last week was nice, but too matter-of-fact. My real doc was so supportive tonight, he even told me about his wife having 3 miscarriages. He even said that we can't base anything on the HCG numbers, that only an u/s will tell for sure. Tomorrow is my u/s. My numbers don't look good though. Today it was 2183. Last Tues it was 1404 and last Thurs was 1770. So it hasn't even come close to doubling in a week...is there even any hope left? My progesterone did go up which is good. I am praying so hard that I will see a miracle tomorrow. I haven't cried yet about this, because of the small glimmer of hope I've carried with me. I'm afraid that once I see there is no hope and the baby is gone, it won't be so easy. :*( I know I can come here to you wonderful friends no matter what.

:)O :H

Shannon
Mommy to Katelyn 7-7-06

ladybuggy
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby RayRay » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:05 pm

Absolutely you can - we are all here for you! I will keep an eye on this thread so that I can find out how it went.

Don't be afraid.

xxxxxx
RayRay
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby ladybuggy » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:44 am

Thank you RayRay! I will be sure to update later on...hopefully in the misdiagnosed section ;) :H
Mommy to Katelyn 7-7-06

ladybuggy
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

I need prayer

Postby MrsWilliams28 » Tue May 19, 2009 10:43 pm

I got an internal ultraound at 6wks and the sac was small and empty then in a week my hormones started at 19165 then 30327 then 41000 and I had another u/s at 7 wks and still empty my doctor wants me to have a d&c...could it still be too early? I have another scan scheduled this coming friday. I'm thinking of cancelling it and waiting till I'm 9wks to get another u/s. I don't know what to do. :*( :H
MrsWilliams28
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Re: Update - My 23 week 'Blighted Ovum' is kicking me every

Postby AshleyAE » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:40 pm

They should shut their mouths til way later on in the process!!!

Right on!

My granny told me that she never had an ultrasound or an at home pregnancy test with either of her six pregnancies. One ended in miscarriage when the doctors said everything was fine. One carried to term when the doctors were sure she would miscarry. The other four carried to term with no problems.

My mother only saw a regular OB when she was pregnant with my older sister; she didn't have prenatal care when pregnant with me or my brother. But even with my sister she never had an ultrasound.

I'm starting to think that maybe the "I'm pregnant til this baby comes out of me" attitude they had is the best one to have, cause all these stories about doctors insisting a baby is or will be dying and the baby survives makes me think that my pregnancy is going to be fine and that my ultrasound tech and ER doctors don't know anything.
AshleyAE
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories