A BIT MORE HOPE LADIES - MISDIAGNOSED (really long, sorry)

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

A BIT MORE HOPE LADIES - MISDIAGNOSED (really long, sorry)

Postby lltruc » Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:41 am

In June of 2006, my husband and I started trying for #2. I finally got a positive test on Dec. 6th only to miscarry a few days later. I was quite surprised to get another positive on Jan. 5th. Things seemed to be going alright, but on Jan. 23rd I had a bit of pink on the TP. I was 6w3d into my pg. Because of the m/c the previous month, I freaked out and went to the ER. They ran all the standard tests. My ultrasound showed a sac measuring 5w0d, but no baby. They said it was probably just too early to see anything. My hcg came back at 11000. I went back on the 25th for a follow up w/ my OB. She did a quick exam and said we wouldn't really know anything until we checked hcg again. I went home and waited. The office finally called 3 hours later and told me that the Dr. wanted me to come back to her office because my levels didn't double, it was only about 16,500. When I got to my Dr.'s office she explained that hcg is supposed to double approximately every 1.8 days and that mine wasn't even close. She said that I was going to loose the baby and I could take a drug to speed the process along, or she would monitor me very closely and I could wait for it to happen on it's own. I opted to wait, so she ordered another hcg count for the 27th and told me that if I became doubled over in pain or was losing a LOT of blood to go back to the ER, but it would probably just be like a bad period. I went home and sat there devistated waiting to loose the baby. I had brown spotting on and off for the next several days. While I was at home, I did a little research on line and found that it is not entirely uncommon for hcg to double over 3-4 days and that when it reaches higher levels it is usually better to monitor by u/s than hcg count. So the following day (the 26th) I called a different Dr. and explained my situation. She said that while very few women have such slow doubling time, it certainly does happen and she ordered an u/s for the following week. Immediately after my appt with her I went home and found that I was bleeding quite a bit. It looked like my period had started. I came out of the bathroom in tears and told DH that we wouldn't have to go to the u/s because it had started. I layed on the couch for a few hours waiting for the cramping to start and feeling completley heartbroken. I got up to check for tissue and was shocked to find that there was no blood at all. None even on my pad. The only blood had been the one wipe a few hours earlier. I couldn't believe it. By the time DH got home I was back to just waiting for the u/s. There was some light brownish discharge in the comming days, but no more red and nothing serious. We went in the next day (the 27th) for the blood draw that had been ordered by my 1st Dr. When the results came back I was not surprised to hear that it was 22000. Finally a double from the 1st one, but it was almost exactly 4 days later. That Dr. tried to get me to come back to her office (probably to offer me more abortion pills) the following monday, but I told her I was under the care of a new Dr. It seemed like forever, but finally on Thursday, Feb. 1st we went in for the u/s. I was sooo terrified that we would still be looking at an empty sac, that I almost didn't want to go. But to my absolute surprise, and joy, there was a tiny E> heartbeat!! It was so amaizing. My husband and I both saw it right away. The Dr. had a really hard time getting a decent image or measurement. It looked like 6w6d by his best measurement. I should have been 7w5d, but that was much closer than the 1st u/s and there was a heartbeat which was the really wonderful part. The Dr. was still pretty concerned about the hcg levels and the spotting and wanted to see a clearer image so that he could make sure everything was normal. He scheduled another u/s for a week later. I waited and waited, it wasn't as bad this time since the spotting had stopped completely just before I saw my little beans heartbeat. The week finally passed and we went back on Feb. 8th. Everything looked wonderful, we even got to bring home some pictures. My bean was measuring 8w3d, only 2 days behind. That was close enough for my Dr. to leave my due date at 9/15. I cannot express to all of you how much the other stories on this bored helped me get through the past few weeks. I truely hope that my story will give someone hope who may feel all is lost. I am so blessed to get to post here. Now, a bit of pleading if you find yourself in a similar situation - PLEASE DO NOT TAKE METHO-TREXATE OR DO A D&C UNTIL YOU ARE 100% CERTAIN THAT THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO CHANCE. I KNOW IT IS HARD, BUT PLEASE WAIT!! I don't want people to put themselves in any danger, and please do listen to your dr. in that regard, but if you are in no physical danger and there is still SOME chance, no matter how small, that your baby is in there fighting, DON'T GIVE UP!!

Update!- Welcome Home Robert James Truc 8)O, born September 18th, 2007. He was 7lbs 8oz and 19in. long. He's healthy as can be and very Handsome B) B) B)
Last edited by lltruc on Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
lltruc
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby april1979 » Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:28 pm

That is wonderful news!!! Please keep us posted on the rest of your pregnancy!!! :)8
april1979
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby yummiesgirl33 » Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:24 pm

well my doctor couldn't make anything out..we saw a heartbeat but he said he couldn't make out that it was an embryo growing normally..I wish I could find women in my similar situation where looking at the sono, you can't make out where anything is..but you can see the heart beating..it's quite frustrating..I saw where the head and body would be by where the heart was beating but yep thats' about as clear as that sono was.

I'm glad you got good news..mine has been bad since day 1 and i'm 7 wks along..awaiting a miscarriage.
yummiesgirl33
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby charlenes1 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:29 pm

Praise the Lord! I am so happy for you and your husband. Cherish every moment - babies truly are miracles! May you have a fabulous pregnancy! God Bless You, ~Charlene~
For this child I prayed; and the Lord hath given me my petition which I asked of Him.
1 Samuel 1:27
charlenes1
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:29 pm

Oh my goodness, you have me in tears. Congratulations to you. We have found that many women here have hCGs that double more slowly than the two days given and many, many women date behind on that first trimester ultrasound. There is no doubt whatsoever that it is not as accurate as they would lead you to believe.

I am so happy for you. Please, keep us updated

and YAY!!! Having been through the fear of believing I was to miscarry, I totally know what you experienced (((Hugs)))
Kay

Postby lltruc » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:13 pm

Just checking in ladies. 10 Weeks today - the double digets are great!! Two more and I'll be breathing pretty easily. Everything's been great, no more problems at all. I just keep thanking God that this is working out. I know that I am very blessed.
lltruc
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:17 pm

Thank you for checking in. Often on these threads women want to read about the pregnancy for reassurance.

Congrats again to you :)
Kay

Postby lltruc » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:59 pm

Another quick update! I will be 12 weeks the day after tomorrow!! B)
I would've waited until then to post, but I'll be out of town. Things are going very well. I had my first "real" OB appt on Monday and it was great. We got to hear the heartbeat on the doppler, which was a surprise because I didn't hear it with my daughter until 14 weeks. Things are progressing normally and I have had no more problems. I wrote a letter to my original Dr. this morning to tell her that I was still pregnant, etc. I was very calm and respectful. I hope she will hear what I have to say, and remember it in the future. I'll continue to let you all know how things are going. I know when I was going through my situation, I would've liked it if more people had kept posting throughout their pg.s. Good luck to all of you ladies. I'll check in soon.
lltruc
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Sadie » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:32 pm

Wow your due date is one day after mine and we both were told the same thing! I even had the hospital calling to "preregister" my d&c surgery that I didn't even know had been scheduled pending my hcg tests! I told them to leave me the heck alone as I didn't even know if I was still pregnant and how would they like to think they might have unintentionally taken their child's life?!? They still called every couple hours. A day later- we found the baby w/ a heart beat and the doc called them and let them know not to do such a horrid thing to a PREGNANT lady! :P But yes I sure hope women will read these BEFORE jumping to any rash decision or feeling pressured by a doctor to hurry up and do a d&c. WAIT IT OUT AND DEMAND ANOTHER BLOOD LEVEL CHECK AND U/S!!! Not every doctor would do what mine did and check hcg levels again (after seeing no baby in the sack on u/s) but mine did and it sent up a red flag that I might still be pregnant- I was and I am.
Sadie
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Ktim » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:40 pm

I want to thank you for posting your stories. I am currently going through exactly what you described. Last Tues we had a U/S and saw a sac with no baby. I have been bleeding intermittently very lightly. While I was 6 wks 6 days by LMP, the sac was the size of 5 wks and 3 days. They said it was too early, so we have scheduled another sono this friday. I was hopeless today as I thought I was starting my period. Put a pad on and have not had any more spotting today. I met my husband at the door in tears. Your story has given me hope. Our other children are still talking about the baby and my dh and I are praying all is well. :H Thank you again for giving us hope.
Ktim
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Ron » Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:35 pm

My wife and I are going in Thursday for our second ultrasound to see if there is anything in the sac, since last week there wasn't anything. Here bloodwork came back remarkably well, all her levels are perfect. What should we be asking our doctor?
Ron
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Stormfaery » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:10 pm

I am supposedly 9 weeks pregnant (by my LMP) and I went for an ultrasound yesterday to check for twins. They found a healthy sac and everything else looks healthy, but they could not see an embryo. The U/S tech said she was sorry and made it sound like there was no chance. My doctor said there is about a 50/50 chance that I either will miscarry, have miscarried, or my dates are wrong and I'm not that far along.
By 9 weeks shouldn't they be able to see something? I'm scheduled to go back the 29th of this month and try again.
Stormfaery
Stormfaery
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Sadie » Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:28 am

Ron- I hope your wife's ultrasound came back showing a baby! Sounds like my issue as my hcg level was great so I had a repeat u/s in two days. Please let me know what happened yesterday!
It's good that he checked her bloodwork instead of just assuming that there was no baby.

KTim-Good luck today, hun! Please let me know what happens!

Stormfaery- Good luck- have you asked for your hcg levels to be checked while you wait? At least they would know if the levels were in range. That's what helped my doctor know how I was doing. (baby was doing)
Sadie
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Stormfaery » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:01 am

They did all the blood work last week and the results should be in the 29th.
Stormfaery
Stormfaery
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Stormfaery » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:39 am

If anyone was wondering I went back to the ob/gyn yesterday and it wasn't good. The baby is gone and I have to take some pills now to try to flush it out. If that doesn't work they will have to do a D&C in two weeks. Good luck to the rest of you.
Stormfaery
Stormfaery
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

what is going on

Postby bcelek » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:04 pm

I discovered I was pregnant around the time when I was due for my period. I had a feeling...I'm on a 33 day cycle which is rather long, from what I understand. I went to the doctor 5 days later and they confirmed I was pregnant. But because I was complaining of some abdominal pains, they sent me for blood work. That was on March 19th. I also went for an u/s at the hospital. The girl said I was 4 weeks pregnant, even though I figured that, based on the 33 day cycle, I probably got pregnant somewhere around the end of Feb/first of March. I did blood work on Tues and Thur, and went back to the GYN that Saturday. By then, the doctor said I was 6 weeks pregnant (4 days after the girl at the hospital said I was only 4 weeks pregnant and counting from the first day of my Feb period) and said we should have a heartbeat. No heart beat was detected when he did an ultrasound and he couldn't see any fetal development. He sent me for blood work again and told me to come back on Monday, the 26th (now it's probably around 6 weeks since my last period). Again, no fetal development and my hCG didn't double in the two days since Saturday.

I was told I would miscarry. I don't know what to make of this. I read the messages on this forum and find out that the hCG doesn't always double in 2 days. Mine was within the normal range, but not doubling. I don't have any bleeding or spotting. I don't really know what morning sickness is like, but I feel like throwing up occassionally throughout the day, not always in the mornings. I'm also hungry a lot and gained at least 6 pounds, which I thought was a lot (my weight never fluctuated before). Could it be my nerves? Or could the doctors be wrong? :(

The doctor suggested I wait to miscarry naturally, so that's what I will do. He said I can go for another ultrasound in 2 weeks. This is the longest time in my entire life I think, but I'm glad for all of you ladies who post messages here to keep up each other's spirit.

I will keep you posted.
bcelek
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby april1979 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:43 am

I am so sorry for all that you are going through...

I would definetely wait this one out...it is not uncommon for women with longer cycles to be misdiagnosed by physicians...oftentimes physicians ASSUME that everyone ovulates around CD14...which is not the case at all...I pray that you get great news soon, and remember in the meantime that we are here for you to listen and offer encouragement...please keep us posted...(((HUGS)))
april1979
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Ktim » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:26 am

Hello, just thought I would post an update and let you know about what has happened since my last post. I went for the sono that Friday and we saw a heartbeat that was about 113 bpm. The sac measured 2 weeks behind my dates. The next day, I started bleeding very heavy, with clots etc. My dr told me that even that did not necessarily mean a miscarriage. I bled like that for about 3 days and then went back to spotting......I had a US last Monday and there was nothing there - I miscarried my baby and it must have happened that Sat after the US with the heartbeat (this was truly a gift to me as that is when I got to get a glimpse of my baby). I fortunately don't need a d & c as the dr determined it was a complete miscarriage. We named the baby Veronica.
Ktim
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Ray of sunshine

Postby gemini1969 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:24 am

Thank you for sharing your story, it is great to read a positive outcome, when it comes to bleeding/spotting and cramping. Normally - you read that if you have bleeding/spotting w/cramping - you are having a miscarriage.

I am newly pregnant (first baby) and I am experiencing some spotting. 2 days ago, I have spotting/bleeding w/cramping and went to the ER. They did a U/S and saw the sac with no fetal movements. I am supposed to be 7wks 2 days (per LMP)

I was put on bed rest and I have noticed that my cramping has subsided and spotting has gotten less,also. I go to the OB/GYN for a follow up tomorrow. I am hoping that my hcg levels go up and I am able to have a viable pregnancy.

Your story is so beautiful. You must keep us posted throughout your pregnancy and how you are doing.
gemini1969
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby lltruc » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:34 pm

Update ladies. But first. So many have been encouraged and found hope through my story. My heart breaks when I hear of those who were not so fortunate. I hope theat you will all take the time to heal and then continue in your efforts to add to your families. I am very encouraged by the fact that so many of you have doctors who had you wait it out and let it proceed naturally. That says alot for progress in the medical community. As for me - baby's doing great. I have my 19 week appt. next tuesday and we will be scheduling my big u/s. We can't wait to find out the gender. I thank god every day that I went for that second opinion. To those who are still in limbo on this thread I have been praying for you. I hope things go ok, and please keep me posted on your situations. It's hard for me to take when you one of you loses a baby, but I always take the time to send a little prayer your way so it's ok to let me know the outcome. Big hugs to all of you.
-Larissa
lltruc
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child
Next

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories