I saw my blighted ovums heartbeat today!

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

I saw my blighted ovums heartbeat today!

Postby allykhata » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:07 pm

Hello,
I wanted to share my story with all of you to maybe give those of you in limbo some hope, it's long ... but here you go.
I am 23 and have had my share of health problems so my husband and I expected that when it came time to have kids we would probably have to seek fertility treatment. I have had endometriosis for a few years and had an appointment scheduled to see an obgyn on Nov. 28th. I had not had my period since Sept ( they have always been irregular ) so I decided to get a blood test to make sure I wasn't pregnant so i could tell the doctor when I saw him... see.... I'm not pregnant... so what is wrong with me??? Well..... to my surprise... I was pregnant! My husband and I were so happy and excited... and it was nice to know my body worked! So I switched my appt. on the 28th to an ultrasound instead to make sure it was not eptopic due to my history of endometriosis. At that appt. my HCG was 1,300 and the doc could not see anything other than what he called a pregnant looking uterus and scheduled me to come back in ten days where he said he thought he would be able to see the gestational sac, yolk sac, fetus and maybe a heartbeat. Well, I went back on the 8th of Dec. and he did an ultrasound (vaginal) and all he saw was a gestational sac. It was nice and round and big... but there was NOTHING in it. I looked too... and he probed from all directions, there was nothing to see. My hormone level was 38,000 and he told me it was a blighted ovum because he should have been able to see something with hormone levels that high. He told me I had the option of a D & C or to take to pills that cause a miscarriage, but I told him if it was meant to be that it would happen on it's own and I didn't want to do anything. He scheduled me for another vaginal ultrasound 5 days later.... in hopes that when he showed me that there still was nothing there I would consider a D & C. I went home and was devastated but sceptical and found this sight which helped a lot to be able to see other stories like mine with happy endings. My husband and I had a pretty bad 5 days waiting to be told again that there was no baby and I would miscarry. So, on the 13th we went in, and my doctor told me to expect the same, but when he did the ultrasound he started shaking his head... after about 5 minutes of looking... he said ... do you see that? Sure enough, there was the gestational sac, yolk sac, fetus and heartbeat!! :)8 I was in shock... and so was my doctor. He appoligised and said he was sorry he caused so much emotional stress in the past week.... and had no idea what happened. I guess the little one was just hiding!! They told me I am measuring about 7 weeks. So I guess sometimes waiting it out.... even though it seems unbearable... is the best thing to do. I am feeling truly blessed!! :)
allykhata
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby shaz71 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:57 am

Hi allykhata
Just wanted to congratulate you on your baby, thank goodness you didn't listen to doc and get d&c. Hope all goes well in your pregnancy. :)8 Sharon x
shaz71
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby shelley75 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:01 am

I love reading thes stories!! :)8 Congratulations!! Hope you have a happy nine months and keep us posted!!
me~Shelley-34 DH~ Ashley 30
Madison Paige born 9/12/00
m/c 10/02
Zoe Annelise 02/27/07
Kara Jacqueline 04/18/09
shelley75
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby april1979 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:18 am

What a great story!!! Keep us posted on the rest of your pregnancy!!!
april1979
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby confusedbecky » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:56 am

This is terrrrrific news! B) B) I am so happy for you. Miracles do happen. Great decision to wait it out.

becky
confusedbecky
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby shell1123 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:51 pm

Hi. I am new to this site. I was recently diagnosed with only the gestational sac in my uterus. I do not know my LMP as I have an 11 month old who keeps me pretty busy and I just haven't been keeping track. I gave my docs an estimated LMP, but I am not sure. Their charts indicated that based on the LMP date I would be 7 weeks. I don't think I am that far along.
Anyway, I went in for an ultrasound because of some pain/mild cramping and there was only a sac viewable by ultrasound. The OB on-call told me that I miscarried and encouraged me to schedule a D&C.

I am not having an m/c symptoms, in fact...I still have pregnancy symptoms. My breasts continue to increase in size, I am tired, I am sensitive to certain smells, etc. I know it can take awhile for the hormones to settle down, but I still have this "feeling" that it was way too early to diagnose me as m/c'd.

How long do I wait? Do I call my OB and ask for another u/s and if so, when should I have it?
What about intercourse? Can we do that or would it be unsafe regarding infection, etc.
This whole deal is so emotional. On one hand, I want to believe the doctor, but then when I come to this site....something in my gut causes me to be sceptical and hopeful.
Shell
Shell
shell1123
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Meg » Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:35 pm

Dear Shell, I'm so sorry you are going through this and I am keeping you and your little on in my prayers. Because you are unsure of your LMP and subsequent conception date you can in no way call this a loss yet unless on ultrasound your doctor saw a defated sac? You could simply be too early to tell. at the four to five week range you will generally only see a gestational sac. ...sometimes more, but not always by any far stretch. So here is what you do.....

You wait just a bit for your "miscarriage" Wednesday or so next week you call your doc and tell them, I have increased symptoms and I have no cramping bleeding ect. Can we schedule another ultrasound please to see if maybe things are progressing? If your doctor says no then you exercuse your right as a patient to seek a second opinion and call another doctor and shedule a first OB appointment with them.

You feel free to contact me at anytime if you need help talking to the doctor or questions that I might be able to answer for you. You can reach me by clicking on the MSN or AOL buttons below or send me a private message by clicking PM.

By any chance did the doctor do hcg blood work on you? if so what were your numbers?

You are in my prayers.
God Bless
Meg
Mother of Five Sons
Survivor of 3 Miscarriages by the Grace of God
Meg

Postby shell1123 » Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:48 pm

The doc on-call said that there really wasn't a need to do the blood work because she thought it was a m/c.

Jim and I think that I am maybe 5-6 weeks now. I have NEVER had any bleeding. Just some mild cramping that concerned me, but that just could have been my body adjusting.

I am not sure on the "deflated" sac. I don't think the u/s report said it was deflated. I am going to request a copy of my u/s report, so I have it and also the doc's dictated note.

Jim thought that if I didn't have any m/c symptoms by the first of the year, then we should call to schedule an u/s with MY normal OB doc.

Ugh.
Shell
Shell
shell1123
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Meg » Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:13 pm

Oh yes Shell, I truly agree with Jim. And no offense, but this Dr on Call sounds like a ding bat. Blood work is the FIRST thing you do!! Mild cramping in early pregnancy is normal. You have all sorts of things going on in there.

Get your ultrasound reports if you can and schedule a second opinion or an appointment with your regular OB stress to them that you do not know your LMP, guessing about it is just rediculous and the Er should have never asked you too. This is actually the second case I've seen in the past month where the ER doc pressed a mom for LMP to the point of actually telling her to "guess" and the date she gave was just flat out wrong. Turns out after they told her she was miscarrying a blighted ovum here now four weeks later she is carrying healthy TWINS, so they were just double dog wrong now wern't they? lol

Ok, sweety, you feel free to call me at anytime, I will send you a private message with my number. if you need anything and in the mean while I will keep you in my prayers. God Bless
Meg
Mother of Five Sons
Meg

Postby allykhata » Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:41 pm

Well, I don't know how many people are still reading this post, but I thought I would just give an update. I had another ultrasound at about 10 1/2 weeks, and there was our little baby, punching and kicking and squirming all around. It was GREAT!!! I get so nervous before ultrasounds now because of my misdiagnosed blighted ovum... so it was amazing to see him or her moving around like that!!!it is now weeks later and everything still seems to be going well.... can't wait to find out the sex! :)O<
allykhata
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby mom2twinsandonenoven » Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:53 pm

aww Congratulations! I too had a misdiagnosed blighted ovum! I am so very happy for you that you finally got to see your lil one! I know exactly how you felt the moment that you saw your lil bean on the u/s screen! Congrats again and don't forget to update us!
Summer-24(DH) Daniel-26
Hunter & Desiree (B/G Twins)- 4 years old
M/C July 2006- 5 weeks
Tristian Berkley Wade- 2 years old (My MDM)
mom2twinsandonenoven
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Meg » Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:02 pm

TOO COOL Ally, PRAISE THE LORD
Totally excited for you.
God Bless
Meg
Mother of Five Sons
Meg

Postby Tanikit » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:27 am

Glad to hear things are going well. I had a scan today and they said it may be a blighted ovum or a normal pregnancy since I am only 5 weeks along but it has left me worried. It is so great to hear positive stories and I hope in two weeks that I will have a positive story of my own.

(I am still wondering how doctors can diagnose something that they cannot be entirely sure of. My own doctor has said that it is one of three differential diagnsoses - possibilities and that is why I must have the repeat scan. Surely you can only diagnose something you know 100%)
Tanikit
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby allykhata » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:30 pm

Tanikit,
I was over 5 weeks along when I had my ultrasound where all they could see was the gestational sac and told me I had a blighted ovum..... and just 10 days later they could see everything... I even got to hear the heartbeat. It is hard because of course there is always a chance that the doc could be right... but you just have to listen to yourself and your body, and know that even though medicine has gotten very good, doctors just CAN'T know everything. Nature has it's own way of doing things that just sometimes don't fit the "norm". I really hope that everything turns out well and they are just jumping the gun on saying anything about a blighted ovum. Oh and as far as the HCG levels and the doc saying they should be able to see a gestational sac by a level of 2000.... they couldn't see mine until they were MUCH higher. And they could still only see a gestational sac when my levels were 38,000!!! wayyyyy higher than a "normal" and still seeing only a gestational sac. I guess you just have to always give it more time than the doctors say... just to be safe.
allykhata
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Tanikit » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:55 pm

Thanks for telling me that allykhata - this site defintely has given me more hope today. I'm feeling better about it already and its not as though the doctor told me to stop acting pregnant - she still told me take certain vitamins and other supplements and fax my sugar levels to her. I think she was just warning me in case something goes wrong... now I am trying to make myself feel better :) Will keep you updated.
Tanikit
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories