Misdiagnosed Miscarriage

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

Misdiagnosed Miscarriage

Postby clarkme » Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:27 pm

I just wanted to share my story with you all. My husband and I tried for three years to concieve. After three failed IUI's and a failed IVF, we were emotially exhausted (as well as finacially) and decided that adoption was the way to go. We were told that we would never have biological children. We came to terms with this and began the adoption process. Eleven months later we brought our "Guatemalan Prince" home from Guatemala. He is our pride and joy. Three months after bringing him home, I became sick and after three weeks of complaining, my husband told me to either take a pregnancy test or go to the doctor. I took a test (even though I thought it would be a waste of our money) and low and behold it was positive. We were in absolute shock. This was in July of 2006. Let me add, that my periods have never been regular. My last period was actually in November of 2005. I went to the doctor the next day, where he did an ultrasound and saw absolutely nothing. He told me that I was going to miscarry and to start preparing myself for that. He took my blood to do an HCG count and then I was out the door. I called my husband, where we cried and talked, but we knew that all would be alright. Two days later the doctor called and said my HCG levels looked good and that I should come in in a week. My husband went with me the following week, where the ultrasound showed a gestational sac and a yolk sac, but not fetal pole. The doctor said that we would definetly miscarry and to schedule a D&C for Friday. I had no clue what a D&C was and came to this website. It was here that I read many stories and decided to hold off on the D&C. A week later I went back for an ultrasound and there was the fetus with a heartbeat! We were in shock! I am now 22 weeks pregnant and expecting a little girl on March 31st. It is hard to believe that this is real! I am proof, that even if you have irregular menstral cycles and your Dr. tells you you are going to miscarry, all can turn out okay. This site has been a life savor to me. I have found a lot of wonderful and inspirational stories. Thank you all.
Melissa

Mom to my adopted prince - Isaiah (16 months)
Due 3.31.2007
clarkme
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:34 am

Oh Melissa, how wonderful. Thank you so much. My doctor was just as sure as your doctor that I would miscarry and that 'blighted ovum' of mine is now 3 1/2 years old. Thank you so much for sharing. I bet little Isaiah will love his new little sister.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Kay

Postby mom2twinsandonenoven » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:29 pm

Reading your post brings tears to my eyes at this very moment. I wish something could be done about all these f-ing misdiagnosements. I myself was misdiagnosed you can read my story under "Summer's story". It just really hurts me that these docs are so easy to just jump to conclusions. I myself would have wished that I would have found this site a long time ago. I hope that I have been able to help people with the knowledge that I have. The ONLY reason I didn't go through with the d&c was because my cousin read up about this and told me to please not have a d&c before another ultrasound. I feel bad because if she hadn't read up about it and no one would have told me otherwise I would have killed my baby and I'm so scared that so many already have and don't have the information that they need about all this!

For anyone would stumbles across this site please DO NOT DO A D&C without knowing for sure!

This is all I can muster up I am crying and so upset SOMETHING NEEDS TO BE DONE ABOUT THIS I CAN'T STAND IT ANYMORE!!!!!
mom2twinsandonenoven
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:18 am

Believe me, I know how you feel. I've contacted physicians and researchers. Often it takes some convincing but when they come on the site they always seem to agree they've had some of these cases themselves. We just need somebody to do a study on this, report in JAMA or some medical journal and it'll be taken seriously. Until we get to that point though, we can make a difference. I know just from this site alone and emails, that at least a couple hundred babies have not been lost to unnecessary D&Cs and those are just the ones who have taken the time to leave stories or message me. I cannot even imagine how many women read stories here and never report their outcomes.

Women just need to know, they do not need to be forced into an early D&C. Just remember, you can make a difference and your story may very well be the one to make a difference.
Kay

Re: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage

Postby LongingFor1More » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:50 am

Thank you for sharing! Yours is another inspiring story that will help some of us who are in similar situations. Congratulations!!

I have a similar story to yours except that mine was through IVF (2nd try). Thus conception date should be quite accurate. As my response to jabs was rather poor. Only manage to retrieve 3 eggs and only 1 fertilised and it was supposed to be Good quality. We weren't very hopeful with just one embryo transferred as compare to the first try we had two and failed. I didn't even dare take the HPT. Gladly we got BFP bloodtest at the hospital on the 14 day past transfer. We we elated. I had very mild symptoms, even with my 1st child. So I wasn't quite concern. We were scheduled to go back to hospital for an ultrasound at 6wk 2d. HUbby and I were looking forward to it as I felt fine and there were no spotting. no major cramps. Just mild ones like AF cramps on off.

To our disappointment, my dr.said he saw nothing but some cysts. I told him no one ever told me I had cysts (not him, not my previous gynae). He didn't explain further. He said my uterus (which is tilted) is empty. I felt a cold pail of water just flushed down on me. I couldn't even cry. I felt numbed. He said to come back 3 days later for a detailed scan at the fetal care centre where they have very high tech machines. I was devastated. Those 3 days were so tough and my husband was on biz trip. I finally cried one night and felt really lonely after putting my boy to sleep. I prayed to God for an answer and then I found this site. I read non-stop (still reading) to keep my hopes up. I went in for my scheduled detailed scan alone. Scared, hopeful. They found the gestational sac with yolk sac but instead of measuring 6 weeks plus, it only measured about 5 weeks. My Dr was optimistic and scheduled for me to do another detailed scan in 2 weeks. I was partly relieve but still scared. Why is it not developing on time even though its IVF. The dates cannot go wrong. I only hoped that it was late implantation. They could not do any HCG test for me over this entire period as I was given twice weekly pregnyl (HCG) and proluton (progesterone) jabs since I the day I tested positive.Therefore, will not be accurate. I continued with the jabs and I decided to get my previous gynae to do an ultrasound for me a week after my detailed scan. I was eager to know how is my little one doing cos I have no basis of checking. I still felt normal and no bleeding. But to my surprise, my Gynae's ultrasound showed that the sac did not grow from the time I did the detailed scan (one week ago). Once again I am thrown further back into the woods, helpless. Waiting again for another almost hopeless week before my schedule detailed scan at the hospital. I will be going in this Thursday for it. I have been praying and reading stories from this site daily. Wish me luck for this coming Thursday's scan.
LongingFor1More
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories