Summer's story

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

Agree or Disagree: That it should be mandatory that a woman have a second ultrasound before they go on with a d&c?

Agree
100%
Disagree
No votes

Total votes : 110

Summer's story

Postby mom2twinsandonenoven » Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:31 pm

[size=18][color=red]Hi my name is Summer and I too recently had a misdiganosed blighted ovum. Here's my story[/color][/size]

[size=18][color=red]10-09-06- Went to my first ob appointment and ultrasound. When we went in for the ultrasound they said that they needed to go get the doctor so we waited for the doctor. The doctor then came in and told us that I had what was called a blighted ovum and that there was just a sac and no baby. We were very sad because this time we had actually gotten pregnant on our own. The doctor said he was 90 % sure that this is what it is (blighted ovum). He then said I needed to set up to have a D&C as soon as possible, but I wanted to have a second ultrasound before I went through with it. Also went and had my HCG levels taken (got them back a couple days later) but they weren't going up like they were supposed to only went from 5800 to 6900 in the 2 days that they take them.(Sac measuring 6 weeks 6 days.)

10-16-06 - Started making plans for the D&C called and filled out paperwork and faxed all that paperwork to the operation cooridinator and had a date and everything was ready for the D&C. Found out that I had to be put to sleep because of my weight and that it had to be done at the hospital instead of the office.

10-18-06 - Went for pre-admission testing for the D&C. Had to have an EKG and my blood pressure taken 105/77 really good. Still scared to have to be put to sleep.

10-19-06 - Went back to the doctor’s office to have my second ultrasound done just to make sure that nothing was there. The same woman that told me that I was going to have twins the last time I was pregnant was the same one that told me that nothing was there and that was getting ready to do my second ultrasound. I told her that I was just having this ultrasound because I just wanted to make sure that nothing was there just to put me at ease about the D&C. I explained to her all that plus the fact that my cousin had read online about some women that had had the same problem and went back at 8 weeks (which I was) to have another ultrasound and then they found a baby. The ultrasound tech told me to not get my hopes up because the chances of that happenning were very rare. So we go in and we sit down and I get ready to hear that there still isn’t anything and that I have to have the D&C anyway. Well, God must have been looking after me because the tech also couldn’t believe what she was seeing A BABY WAS INDEED THERE!! WOOHOO! The baby measured 8 weeks 4 days but there was yet another problem. She said that the sac around that baby was very small and that the baby didn’t have a lot of room to move around and that that could cause a problem. So now I have to go and have an ultrasound every week to make sure everything is going good and that the sac is growing and so is the baby. We will all be praying that everything is going to go just fine. (8w4d)

10-26-06 - Today I go for my first ob appointment since I never got one before because of everything that happened. And I get to have another ultrasound today. Went for my other ultrasound the nurse said that everything is A ok that the fluid around the baby looks fine and that baby is measuring what it is supposed to and everything. Then I had to go to the doctors office for my doc appointment and I saw the doc and he said that he absolutely loved the ultrasound because it looked so good and that I don’t have to come back (unless I have a problem) for another 4 weeks. And when I go back in 4 weeks I get to have another ultrasound and my first prenatal appointment because my doc said that that wasn’t my first appointment he just wanted to check to make sure that everything was ok in there. (9 weeks 3 days)

11-28-06 - Went in for my first ob appointment everything is a ok heard baby's heartbeat on doppler was wonderful. I'm now 14 weeks and everything seems to be just fine.

DON'T LET YOUR DOC CONVINCE YOU THAT YOU HAVE A BLIGHTED OVUM AND GO THROUGH EVERYTHING I DID! PLEASE GET A SECOND OPINION!!![/color][/size]
mom2twinsandonenoven
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Ibelieve » Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:24 pm

Wow! This is a beautiful testimony! You are truely blessed. I pray that everything continues to go well for you! I am going through right now. I should be 12 weeks from LMP. Doc told me on 11/6 that baby stopped growing at 6 weeks. (LMP 9/7/06) I was 8 weeks when she told me that, set me up for D&C, I said no...I have not had a m/c or any signs of m/c. I have pg symptoms though. I went for 2nd opinion today and Tech said baby is measuring about 6 weeks. My mouth dropped. She said she see fetal pole, yolk sac and uterus looks normal. The other doctor said my uterus looked abnormal, she saw a fetus and a blob...What is a blob? Anyway, they want me to come back and see if the baby has grown any from today on next Thursday. Reading your story gives me more hope. I have faith in God, but I can never get enough hope. THank you for sharing your story with us. Continue to do so with others. you and your family will be in my prayers...Thanks again
There is Power in the name of Jesus...
Ibelieve
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:38 am

Wow, that is a beautiful story. Congratulations to you. I loved hearing that heartbeat.

Women really do need to know that they can wait out this diagnosis. Unfortunately not all stories have that happy ending but as long as there is even the faintest of chances, waiting it out, in the long run, is the best solution (and saves babies).

Congrats again.
Kay

Postby Chete » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:20 am

I can not begin to express the miracle of finding this site and reading all these stories of life and hope. I have two kids and four miscarriages between them, the last one in september at 12 weeks. At end of October I had a feeling that I was preganant, but the following day started my pees and I ruled that out.

Then last week I did a pregnancy test due to extreme exuation and frequent urination, the test came out positive. Was excited, anxious and afraid. On tuesday this week, 28/11 i went for an ultrasound. The sonographer struggled to see anything that she had to call another dr for a second oppinion.

They found a 5w3d gestational sac with no fetal heart. I couldnt be 5wks, if i concieved in october, according to my counting I should be 7-8wks there about.

I left the hospital feeling broken and deeply disturbed by this 5weeks no heart finding. I got on the net to do research and I self diagonised my condition as a blighted ovam, with an eminent miscarriage. One miscarriage is bad enough to drive a woman crazy, but five times is too much to deal with.

Then in my qest for more information I accidentally or miraculously stumbled on this site yesterday. I must admit that since yestrday all am doing is reading and reading every single posting on the misdiagonised forum. I cant seem to find interest in my work or anything else apart from these stories of hope.

With information from this site I got my dr to schedule me for another ultrasound on 12/12 hoping for the best. I remain hopeful that like many women, the sun will shine for me again.

However between now and my next ultrasound, I will not be cast in self pit & depression - waitng for my fate. I have found enough strength in the stories on this site, such that I can handle anything. As one woman wrote "its not over until its over."

Put me in your prayers

big thanks
Chete
Chete
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby mom2twinsandonenoven » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:46 am

[quote="Ibelieve"] I should be 12 weeks from LMP. Doc told me on 11/6 that baby stopped growing at 6 weeks. (LMP 9/7/06) I was 8 weeks when she told me that, set me up for D&C, I said no...I have not had a m/c or any signs of m/c. I have pg symptoms though. I went for 2nd opinion today and Tech said baby is measuring about 6 weeks. My mouth dropped. She said she see fetal pole, yolk sac and uterus looks normal. The other doctor said my uterus looked abnormal, she saw a fetus and a blob...What is a blob? [/quote]

Alot of women have this problem as you probably already know because they have a tilted or retroverted uterus. I've read online that having that is so common in women that alot of doctors will not tell you that you do unless you ask them about it. I've also read stories else where online that sometimes people had to wait until the sac and everything was measuring beyond 12 weeks before they saw anything. I just like to think that 1. Our bodies aren't stupid. 2. That if there was something wrong that our bodies would know and miscarry. So I believe that if something is wrong with any pregnancy that our bodies will reject them, that is an absolutely weird work of nature, but also in turn most likely a good thing because I've read that 90% of the time a miscarriage is because of chromosomal abnormalities and I believe that all of us would want the best for our children.

Also please don't let anyone talk you into anything you don't want to do!

I'll keep u in my prayers Ibelieve, and wish you the best of luck!
mom2twinsandonenoven
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby mom2twinsandonenoven » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:54 am

[quote="Chete"]They found a 5w3d gestational sac with no fetal heart. I couldnt be 5wks, if i concieved in october, according to my counting I should be 7-8wks there about.

I left the hospital feeling broken and deeply disturbed by this 5weeks no heart finding.

With information from this site I got my dr to schedule me for another ultrasound on 12/12 hoping for the best. I remain hopeful that like many women, the sun will shine for me again.
[/quote]

First of all, I would like to say I'm so sorry for your losses. I too just miscarried in July and I would hate to have to go through that 4 times. I wouldn't give up hope so soon. 5w3d is a little soon to be saying that there is no baby there in my opinion anyway. Your dates could be a little off because you could have ovulated late or the sperm could have lived a lil longer or you could have ovulated late. There's really no way of telling. I knew for sure the last day of my period, becuz when I went in they said that I was only measuring 6w6d and I was sure I was 8 weeks and something so you could be a little off with your dates or something wacky like that. I wouldn't give up unless your body tells you otherwise.

I'll also keep u in my prayers and let us know how everything goes! Good Luck!
mom2twinsandonenoven
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Ibelieve » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:02 am

Thank you so much. It is wonderful people like you that gives us a little more hope and a little more strength to keep praying. The only problem that I am having is gas. Sorry if TMI. I was really sad on yesterday but I am continuing to give it to God! I know you know how bad I want this baby. But I do have one question. If the last doctor said the baby stopped growing at 6 weeks on 11/6, that would be 6 weeks ago for the baby, would the fetus still measure at 6 weeks or should it be even smaller? I just have so many questions...
Ibelieve
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Encourgment needed.................

Postby angel-star » Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:01 pm

OMG......Reading your story is like reading about myself. I posted a thread in INTRODUCING MYSELF and HCG LEVELS. I am going to a have a u/s today because they told me that my levels arent double but they did go up and my prog came down so I probably have a blightened ovum and need to call for a D&C, I just feel that I am only 6wks and 3days approx. LMP 10/19/06 and have a 26 day cycle. I was set to have my first u/s done on 12/21 to see the heartbeat and still want to go before I go for a D&C, am I crazy? Any encouragment is appreciated.
angel-star
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby mom2twinsandonenoven » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:18 pm

Ibelieve: How does the doctor know for sure that the baby stoped growing at 6 weeks? How many ultrasounds have you had? And if it were true that the baby stoped growing at 6 weeks I would think 3 different things, 1. That you would have miscarried by now, 2. That your body would have reabsorbed it by now, or 3. If #2 happened, then you would at least had some type of bleeding or period or something like that. Hope I helped! Please reply soon! Still praying for you!

angel-star- I'm no expert on this but I do know alot about this subject and I also know alot about pregnancy and birth and babies lol everyone saids I need to get a degree and become an OB-GYN. Sounds like to me that your doc is trying to convince you to do the same thing mine did. My doc didnt even offer another ultrasound I demanded it before the d&c. My HCG levels were at 5800 and then 2 days later were only 6900 so you can't really believe everything by the numbers. I don't believe you are crazy by any means for wanting to wait this thing out and see what happens, you very well could be pregnant with a baby. I still do not understand why docs diagnose blighted ovums so early. And also remember the guidelines that they set for the development of a baby is exactly what it is a GUIDELINE not set in stone. All people develop at different rates and I believe the same to be true about pregnancies. Hope that this was encouragement enough for you to give waiting a try! I'll be praying for you!
mom2twinsandonenoven
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby mom2twinsandonenoven » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:22 pm

I also left out what the "standing in" doc told me about when they found my baby (my doc was out for the day when they finally found the baby).

The technogoly in the ultrasound equipment only goes so far just like a telescope can only see so far into the sky. It is by no means perfect and can make mistakes just like a person can make mistakes!
mom2twinsandonenoven
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Ibelieve » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:08 am

mom2twins
The first Dr. on the 11/6 just said "it didn't look good" set me up for a D&C and said she saw a "blob, fetus, abnormal uterus and a sac." When she said the baby stopped growing at 6 weeks, it was 8 weeks since my LMP. That is when I went for the second opion...THat was 24 days later the new OBGYN tech said she saw a normal uterus, a sac and a fetal pole that was only measuring at 6 weeks and it 0.47 cm and she said there would not be a heartbeat until it measured over 0.50. I know I have a very tilted uterus. That was a question that I had...If the baby had stopped growing, why haven't I m/c yet and why is the baby still measuring at 6 weeks. I've just been praying. I will go back to the Dr. on Thursday, 7th so they can do another ultrasound to see if the baby is growing.
Ibelieve
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby mom2twinsandonenoven » Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:50 pm

Ibelieve- Yea, the is weird, but I have heard that if you have a very tilted uterus that they can be off with the measurements by a long shot. If I were you even if you go to this next ultrasound and they can't get a heartbeat and they try to say that the baby hasn't grown I would still wait. Your probably asking me why wait, but I have heard that some women have the same problem but wait up until their 20th week before going ahead with a d&c because if you have a very tilted uterus its going to be hard to get measurements on a small baby and definately you should see a baby at 20 weeks with or without a tilted uterus! I'm praying all goes well please update us as soon as possible!
Summer-24(DH) Daniel-26
Hunter & Desiree (B/G Twins)- 4 years old
M/C July 2006- 5 weeks
Tristian Berkley Wade- 2 years old (My MDM)
mom2twinsandonenoven
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Ibelieve » Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:53 pm

Thanks for the advice. I am going to wait as long as I possibly can. I even have a stomach. I am a small framed woman. I weigh 147 and I am 5'7" and my stomach is sticking out. How long have you heard it takes to have a m/c. I mean, would your body just hold on to it for 6-7 weeks later? I don't feel like my baby is gone. I feel very much preg.

Today my back was starting to hurt a little and I got so afraid, I have been to the restoom about 10 times just to check. It only hurts when I sit in my chair that is kinda broken...My heart pounds, my soul is frozen, and my mind is in such a whirlwind of thoughts. Just your conversation of concern is an ease. THank you so much for responding. God bless you!
Ibelieve
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Meg » Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:03 pm

I believe,

I just wanted to let you know that you are in my prayers. Please continue to keep us posted. God Bless
Meg
Mother of Five Sons
Survivor of 3 Miscarriages by the Grace of God
Meg

Postby mom2twinsandonenoven » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:01 pm

I don't think that you would be showing if your baby wasn't growing so maybe thats a VERY VERY good sign. Are you having cravings n stuff? How far along should you be now? I think that your body would miscarry by 12 weeks or so but I'm not sure on that one sorry! I am hoping and praying that all goes well!
Summer-24(DH) Daniel-26
M/C July 2006- 5 weeks
mom2twinsandonenoven
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Ibelieve » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:53 am

Meg,
Thank you so much for the prayers! I cry out to the Lord every chance I get.

Mom2Twins.
I am currently 12 weeks and 5 days from LMP. My boyfriend said last night, oh my God baby, your stomach and jumped out there. I said I know. Last night I wanted mashed potatoes and after I cooked them I didn't want them and ate a bowl of cornbread and milk. My breast are not as sore as they were. I did start to have a few aches in my lower abdomen...but I don't know what they are...this has been for the last 2-3 days. THey kinda' scare me, and I go to the restroom and check everytime I feel one.

THank you guys so very much!!!!!!!!!!!
Ibelieve
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby mom2twinsandonenoven » Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:36 pm

Those aches I do believe are from your ligaments and stuff streching down there I still have those and I am 15 weeks 2 days. I am getting so excited everything that you are telling me sounds so good like the cravings and then you can't eat it I have those all the time lol! Plus not only that but those little aches your saying that you have that makes me more excited and plus the little belly and all that Gosh! I am so praying everything goes so well! I can't wait for you to give us the good news!
Summer-24(DH) Daniel-26
M/C July 2006- 5 weeks
mom2twinsandonenoven
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby mmrie6905 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:33 pm

With my last miscarriage the baby died at 6 weeks and I didn't miscarry until I was 16 weeks
mmrie6905
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby april1979 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:38 pm

What was the outcome of this???
april1979
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby mom2twinsandonenoven » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:49 pm

The outcome of Ibelieve's story is that she had to have a d&c because the baby had stopped growing at 6 weeks.
Summer-24(DH) Daniel-26
M/C July 2006- 5 weeks
mom2twinsandonenoven
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child
Next

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories