Too Early To See Anything!!!

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

Too Early To See Anything!!!

Postby browngirl24 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:30 pm

So I went to get my first u/s on 10/21...the doc says I have an empty sac....I get poked a few more times with a needle and I had to wait almost two weeks to get another u/s.....so I get really stressed and all for nothing...it was just too early.

From what I see on this message board, we are all (most of us) going to get the u/s wayyyyyy too early. My period suggest that I am ten weeks but I'm not! The baby looks like a shrimp....which would mean about 5-8 weeks...the sonographer said seven....so I went for the first u/s at 5 or so weeks...NO wonder there was nothing there!!!! E>
CryHugsKisses
browngirl24
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby WKG24 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:07 pm

I agree. It is so hard to wait and NOT call your doctor the minute a pregnancy test shows positive. That is just what alot of us do. WHen my mom was pregnant with me, they didn't even do an ultrasound! Her first appointment was at 12 weeks and it was just a pelvic exam!

I do think alot of us would be better off waiting longer to go to that first appointment. But then again, there are so many women here that have had previous losses and their doctors do tell them to come in earlier than normal in order to make sure everything is on track..and to remedy the best way possible if not.

I'm so glad everything is okay wtih you and your little one! Keep us updated!
Wes
Me: 30, DH: 34, DS: 28 mo. DD: 10 mo.
MC: @ 9 weeks April '05
Due with Suprise Baby December '08!
This post for educational purpose. For diagnosis, treatment, and advice, consult a doctor.
WKG24

Postby leopardgrrl23 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:17 pm

I too went to my first ultrasound with this pregnancy too early. I was about 5 weeks, they thought 8 because of my LMP, but man they were off. So they gave me the huge scare that I was heading for miscarriage #3...but I'm 19 weeks now, so they were obviously wrong!

Congrats, by the way! Sorry they scared you, but at least all is well!
leopardgrrl23
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby browngirl24 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:01 pm

Yes, the complication thing is a huge factor. And I have never had complications besides a little brown discharge with my son but he actually stayed in there 10 days after he was due.....2/5 and he came on Valentine's Day!!!! And he was fine. 8)O
ANd if you do have history for m/c and other conditions, you probably should go straight to the doctor but since EVERY pregnancy is different, even those who have had issues in the past should be patient because I believe that some of us got d&c's too quickly....and that is just my opinion but some stories sounded hopeful and weren't.
:(
I was told that I was 10 weeks when in reality, I was only about 4-5 at the time. That makes a HUGE difference in ultrasound pics and blood work. So I stayed stressed out and uncomfortable for two weeks....that was horrible. :(
CryHugsKisses
browngirl24
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

In the UK...

Postby RayRay » Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:08 pm

Yes, I can relate to what you're saying. I had my U/S too early (I believe) have to go back next week now and am sure they were wrong to get me in a state. I live in Canada now, but I spoke to a friedn from the UK who is almost finished training as a midwife adn she said that there they don't even think about scanning until at least 8 weeks and in fact usually wait til ten weeks, because she said it is WAY too early. She also said that HER textbooks said babyu is likely to show up in sac between 4 and 8 weeks...that's a big time span considering Doctor's here are bandering around stuff about blighted ovums at 5 week and 7 weeks.

I don't think you can underestimate how different pregnancies are, I sympathise that they are trying to find 'markers' for dating etc. But they should be MUCH more careful about how they handle it!

Anyway - I know bad things happen too because my sister had three miscarriages, but now she has two healthy bouncing boys!!

Peace! RayRay
:(T
RayRay
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby kristinh » Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:51 pm

I had two vaginal u/s at 6 and 7 wks that showed only a gest sac and yolk sac, no embryo or HB. They dated me at 5 and 6 wks based on the u/s, but based on when I had to have conceived (only one date possible, so had to be within days of that) my dates should be correct and that means they saw nothing at 7 wks. I've been making myself sick worrying - do you really think it's possible everything might be ok? My next u/s isn't until Monday, when I should be over 9 wks by any calculation.

Please give me hope if anyone really thinks it's possible. The u/s machine used was 3D and brand new, not old. They said a tilted uterus wouldn't matter on that machine, it would've seen the baby if it was there.
kristinh
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby browngirl24 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:55 pm

:H Hold on to whatever faith you have. If you have read these stories on here I am sure that you know for a fact that anything is possible!

I am "supposed" to be 11 weeks (or 12) but we are now going off of the conception date instead because my period (8/20) suggests that I should be waayyyyyy far along but when I saw the baby, it looked like a shrimp (no legs as of yet) so 10-12 weeks just isn't accurate....so that says when I went to my first u/s, I was 4-5 weeks and I had a vaginal scan.......let's not mention that I wasn't happy about the tech either. She seemed inexperienced. So if you need to hold on a bit longer to satisfy yourself, then do so....of course if there is pain or bleeding.....don't wait!!!
CryHugsKisses
browngirl24
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

UK

Postby RayRay » Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:18 pm

Kristin,

A friend of mine from the UK is a midwife adn she said that they don't even LOOK til roughly 12 weeks and certainly not before 8 weeks unless they have good reason (ie bleeding, pain, high risk pregnancy).

Faith can be a really powerful thing - whether you are 'religious' or not. I will pray that it is all OK for you.

RayRay :H
RayRay
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Tanikit » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:39 am

I was tested at 5 weeks (today) because I am diabetic and there is a higher chance of miscarriage, but it is good to hear that this is way too early - I saw only a gestational sac that they said is close to 6 weeks (when I can't be more than 5 weeks on unless I ovulated really early) I will have the next scan in two weeks - but even if that is the same I think after reading this site that I will not give up (and I certainly won't have a D&C unless there is pain or fever or anything else like that. Thanks for giving me hope.
Tanikit
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby april1979 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:28 pm

Browngirl...how is your pregnancy going???
april1979
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories