trust your gut. a misdiagnosed miscarriage

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

trust your gut. a misdiagnosed miscarriage

Postby pamgoldsmith » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:47 am

I wanted to update you on the miracle that has happened. At least it feels that way. I found out I was pregnant three weeks ago. The doctor began to monitor my hcg levels because I have a large fibroid in my uterus. They started out strong, but started to decline during the first week. My doctor told me to expect to miscarry. He tested the levels again one week later, expecting them to continue to decline. Surprisingly, they began to go up again. He told me that this could indicate an ectopic pregnancy and that he didn't expect the pregnancy to be viable. He monitored the levels over the next few days to see what they would do and they kept rising. He still didn't think the pregnancy was viable. He did an ultrasound in his office and could not find anything in my uterus--possibly because my fibroid is so large and in the way, or possibly because the pregnancy had implanted in the tube. He wanted to give me methotrexate to induce a miscarriage. Option #2 was to wait two days, check the hcg levels again and if they rose, send me in for a higher resolution ultrasound. My gut told me to take option #2. I was not ready to give up yet. Sure enough the levels rose again. I was immediately sent for an ultrasound. Within 5 seconds the ultrasound technician found the embryo and the heartbeat! I couldn't believe it. She told me that everything looks fine. The fibroid doesn't seem to be in the way, the embryo is measuring the correct size, and the best thing of all is that the heartbeat is very strong! I'm still in shock and still concerned about having a miscarriage, but at least we're off to a good start. Hopefully that will be my only challenge. Thus far, I'm feeling great. My energy level is very good and I'm not feeling too nauseous. The moral of the story: doctors can be wrong and trust your gut. There is some mysterious element to this process that we may never fully understand.

edited to add: http://www.misdiagnosedmiscarriage.com/ ... ght=#52407 original post with low hCG level numbers
pamgoldsmith
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby mommyr3 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:17 am

Thanks for your positive attitude. I too believe to trust your gut instincts. We are more intuitive that we give ourselves credit for!
ME - 34
DH - 34
DS -17 years old
DS -10 years old
DD - 7 years old
mommyr3
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Mom In Waiting » Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:09 pm

B) :)8 :P What an amazing story!!! I'm so glad you trusted your instincts and waited it out!!! Thanks for sharing your story, as each time we hear another story of misdiagnosis, it gives that much more hope to others! Congrats and keep us posted!!!! Hugs, Cyndi E>
Angel Baby #1 6/00 (10wks)
Angel Baby #2 1/01 (12wks)
Birth of Samuel Lee 7/26/02!!!!
Angel#3 "Jeremy" 11/04 (17wks)
Alicia Kathryn Born 7/6/06!!!!!
Mom In Waiting

Postby Kay » Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:36 am

I just love hearing these stories. Now granted, I want to shake these physicians silly but I am so happy that you waited.

Congrats and thank you for sharing your wonderful story.
Kay

Postby jlamb » Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:19 pm

I'm curious what your levels were initially before they dropped and how much did they drop?

we didn't see a heartbeat last week, baby measured 6 wks 1 day, so I had my levels check on wed. and they were 38,000 then on Friday they were 37,000. we are having a ultra-sound tomorrow and if nothing has changed then d/c on Friday.

Hoping for a little miracle.

Hope you are feeling well.

Thanks,

Jenn
jla
jlamb
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby ChillinChick » Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:43 pm

That is truly amazing and soo wonderful! My prayers are still with you!

I have a couple questions as well if you don't mind real quick-did you still feel the same and just knew that you still were? You stayed with the same doctor right? I am just trying to figure out what to do since I swear that I sitll am-my doctor is not responding and had not run blood tests yet...

Thanks in advance!
ChillinChick
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories