Tilted uterus,spotting,cramping,no baby at 7weeks LoriMomTo3

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

Tilted uterus,spotting,cramping,no baby at 7weeks LoriMomTo3

Postby misdiagnosed » Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:37 pm

Originally posted by LoriMomto3 9/2/2004
------------------------------------------------

have also posted my story before on babycenter.com and a variety of other forums. When I was diagnosed with a blighted ovum (gestational sac but no baby), I did not even know what that meant. I was desperate for information and stories from other women. I guess I was really looking for hope. But I couldn't find much out there, so I'm glad this board and others like it are now around. Here's my story, I hope it helps.

I had two kids already when I became pregnant in January 2003. My LMP was December 24, 2002. In early February, at 6w3d, I had bright red spotting and some cramping. I went to the ER, where I spent about 6 hours waiting and having various tests done. They tried to find a heartbeat with a doppler, though they said the earliest they can usually hear it (this is a sophisticated doppler, not like the one the regular obs usually have) around 7-8 weeks. Nothing. They then did a vaginal u/s, found a gestational sac that measured about 5w4d, but nothing else. They tested my hcg level and it was 11,000+. From what the u/s tech said, I thought it was just too early, but the ER doc came back and said it was a blighted ovum (and in this tone of voice like it was unimportant), he said he should be able to see a heartbeat by 1,500 hcg and since mine were much higher it wasn't good. He paid absolutely no attention to my explaining that my cycles were long (around 35 days), he would only go by LMP. He gave me a prescription for pain reliever and sent me home. Three days later, at 6w6d, I saw my ob. She also did a vaginal u/s and saw only the sac, couldn't tell for sure if it was any bigger. My hcg that day was 27,000+. My ob was cautiously optimistic, said it may just be too early. I also have a tilted uterus, and that may have made the baby more difficult to see.

At 8 weeks LMP, I went back for another vaginal u/s. I was terrified, but my ob turned the screen to me before she started, then began the u/s and said "do you see what I see?" There was a little baby with a good heartbeat and a yolk sac. The baby and sac measured about 7 weeks. I've never felt so relieved and happy. Of course, I was nervous the entire pregnancy, so I wish I hadn't had the early u/s, it just added so much anxiety for the next 7 months. I went back at 10 weeks for my first regular visit, and saw the baby again. At 12 weeks, I opted for the triple screen just so I could have another u/s.

My "blighted ovum" finally arrived in October 2003 - he's now a healthy, mischievous 10-month-old little boy. I treasure him, but even now worry about him a bit more just because I thought I had lost him so long ago now. I'm thankful that no one tried to push me into a D&C, I don't think I would have agreed, but if I had accepted what the ER doc said blindly, I might have gone ahead, and I would have never known that sweet little boy, or known that he just needed a bit more time to make his appearance.

Having been through this, my advice is to avoid early u/s if possible, unless you're having other symptoms or have a specific need for early intervention, but at the very least don't take those early u/s or what the doctors say at face value. They do not know everything, and God only knows how many babies are inadvertently lost through an early D&C, how many moms go through so much unnecessary stress when it's just too early to know anything for sure.

I hope my story helps give some of you a little hope, and maybe even helps protect a precious little baby who just needs everyone to be patient and give him a bit more time to grow.

Lori
misdiagnosed
Administrator
Administrator

Postby WKG24 » Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:19 pm

Hi Lori,

I just read your story and although I am trying not to have false hope about my situation, it makes me realize how much I need to be patient and let God do His thing.

Thanks.
WKG24
WKG24

thanks for sharing

Postby amcfoto » Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:43 pm

Lori:

Thanks for sharing your story. I just got news today that I have the same thing. I am not as optimistic as you as my hcg numbers have gone down this week as well, 31000 last week 29000 this week.

I also have a tilted uterus.

I am going for more bloodwork Thursday and maybe there is a little miracle in there. My doc gave me the option of either letting nature take its course of having a D&C... I have NO IDEA what I should do. I have no signs of a m/c... in fact, I still feel pregnant!

I want to believe in a miracle but the numbers don't look good. I will pray anyways though. This will be my second m/c and I am not dealing well at the moment...

Thanks for listening
Annee
amcfoto
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby faerie64 » Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:02 am

Annee

I just posted on another thread to some of your questions.

I'm in the same boat with a few different features. My initial hcgs were high and rising like they should, as I had spotted early on dark brown and light for about 4 days....they wanted to check those levels and do an ultrasound or FOUR! LOL

Saw a baby and a heartbeat at 7+2 or so weeks and then the next week he saw nothing in the sac. Told me I was going to miscarry. The doc hasn't drawn any other hcgs to follow up so I have no idea if they are going down or not.

My uterus is also tipped. I'm not cramping or spotting either, in fact I still have all my symptoms as well. I'm about 9+3 weeks now and have waited a week so far for something to happen expecting the worse. I'm super angry now...I still feel pregnant, still wanting to be pregnant and hoping they are just flat out wrong.

My plan is to wait until I'm 12 weeks and if nothing has happened by then i will have another scan.

Absolutely ridiculous for them to base a d&c on an early scan where the operator can't find the baby which is the size of a long grain wild rice!!! I wish I had never had any early scans!

Hold on and wait it out. Let nature take whatever course it is going to take. Don't let a doctor play god with you. I'll be praying for you and everyone else in our boat with us!

Lori
faerie
faerie64
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby hopefulmom » Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:26 pm

dear lori and annee,
you both have given me hope! i am 6w 4d pregnant today by my last lmp. i am also a labor and delivery nurse but only deal with 2nd & 3rd trimester issues. out of excitement i had our midwife and u/s nurse do a scan and endovag u/s today at work (thinking i'd at least see something!) we only saw the sac and no yolk sac. i too have a tilted uterus, and had very short cycles (21-25 days). i was heartbroken when they mentioned it could be a blighted ovum (in which i had no idea about!) i had to finish the day at work fighting back tears--until now! i called my doctor and she mentioned doing another u/s in 7 days and mentioned the possibility of a d& c, but after reading your hopeful stories i will definitely hold out! is it normal to not even see a yolk sac?? the measurements indicate anembryonic pregnancy, but i hope it's just hiding ;-)

thanks for your advice!!
pat
hopefulmom
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Sat Mar 26, 2005 3:14 pm

Pat, you are much too early to even suggest a blighted ovum. Keep in mind, my gestational sac was 28.5mm before we saw anything in it my little girl will be two in June so that definitely worked out. I am guessing you'll be sharing your 'misdiagnosed' story here shortly and I look forward to reading it :thumbsup:

Kay
Kay

Postby BusyGirl775 » Sat Mar 26, 2005 8:17 pm

Dear Pat,

Hold out on doing anything right now, as Kay mentioned. There are story after story of misdiagnosed m/c's. Let's pray that you are one of them.

Praying for you & your little one...
Judy :heart:
BusyGirl775
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby faerie64 » Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:11 pm

Hi Pat!

Welcome to the world we as L&D nurses are so unfamiliar with!

Im not giving up yet! I was told nearly two weeks ago that I was going to miscarry because my doc couldn't find the baby in the sac on the ultrasound. He found it the week before after I yelled at him to keep looking (he nearly shoved my uterus into my throat that time).

Don't give up! Even if your outcome isn't what you want, a naturally occuring m/c is better than having a possibly viable baby sucked out of you at such an early date! You will spend the rest of your life wondering.

I'd much rather spend the next two weeks wondering (which would be 4 weeks all total...sheesh!) than wondering if I did the wrong thing by D&c for the rest of my life!

I'll be thinking about you and praying for you for a great outcome!

as an aside...how many deliveries do you do at your facility? Here lately we have been busting at the seems with over 400 every month since last August...just waaaaaay too busy! LOL (i just hope one of them in October is me!)...I actually do LDRP and newborn nursery. Crosstraining hazard!
faerie64
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:17 pm

OH MY GOODNESS! I about choked..."he nearly shoved my uterus into my throat that time."

That cracks me up. I tell you, with a tilted uterus, it is darn near impossible to see that baby early.

I think being an L&D nurse would be awesome. I envy you gals your jobs. I love the earth sciences and am happy I went that route but I think I would have loved going that direction as well.

Kay
Kay

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories