BO diagnosis and high HCG*Update-Misdiagnosed!*

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

BO diagnosis and high HCG*Update-Misdiagnosed!*

Postby shellbelle » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:10 am

I went into the doctor on Monday because of very slight brown spotting. I only expected to receive a rhogam shot (I'm rh negative) and be sent on my way. I had no idea I would end up with a probable blighted ovum diagnosis and be sent home to miscarry.

I had an internal done and my cervix was still closed. I was told there was a little brown blood, but not much. I was sent in for a transvaginal ultrasound. The tech quickly found a gestational sac, but it was empty. I asked if something should be there and she said yes, unless my dates were wrong. I should have been right at 6 weeks. I did say that I was certain of my last menstrual period, but that my cycles tend to run long.

The physician's assistant came in and told me that I probably have a blighted ovum and sent me to the hospital for an hcg test and to pick up my rhogam shot.

I went back in yesterday and was told my hcg was 19,000 and that I should expect it to drop. I mentioned that I had a tilted uterus and asked if it could affect the ultrasound...she said not likely.

I am scheduled to go back in on July 7 for a followup ultrasound, but it was said to be a precaution to make sure that the sac has dissolved.

Does this sound crazy to anyone else? I came home devastated and told my family I was miscarrying again (2 prior losses). I still feel very nauseous and have breast tenderness. I am going to call the doctor back and ask for another hcg test.

Do rising numbers indicate things might be okay?

Edited to add: I have zero spotting or cramping other than the slight brown spot on Monday.
Last edited by shellbelle on Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shellbelle
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby tlink34 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:18 am

19,000 really isn't all tha high for 6 weeks. I am sorry they didn't see anything in your gestational sac but it could be far too early. If your cycles are long (meaning your ovulate late) and ten you implant late, you may only be 5 weeks which would be perfect for what they saw and more in line with your beta number. (mine was 18,000 + around 5 weeks 2 days or so). Hang in there. I think there is still hope for your little one.
Teresa,42
Sweet Baby Isaac
Isn't he gorgeous?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v724/ ... C03995.jpg
tlink34
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Lovinmom » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:55 am

You are still within range. http://www.conceivingconcepts.com/learn ... s/hcg.html

Also, if you did ovulate and/or implanted late, that would surely alter the reading as well. I would defintely test this out. Especially since you have a tilted uterus. Most of the misdiagnosed cases have been prior to 8wks. So you are still very early to tell with all of this. I personally don't even trust a diagnosis prior to 10 wks due to the fetus being so incredibly small prior to that. Hang in there. Time will tell what is going on. I wish you well. I am sorry that you are having to go through all of this. Keep us posted.

Lovinmom E>
3 angel babies in Christ's loving arms/ one possible misdiagnosis
47 yr. mom to boy twins 5 yrs., dd 18 yr. and 9 yr. Baby Michael Josiah born 6/23/08
This post for educational purpose. For diagnosis, treatment, and advice, consult a doctor.
Lovinmom

Postby shellbelle » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:04 am

I had another hcg test done 48 hours later and it came back 26,500. The doctor's office said, "Maybe you aren't miscarrying, we'll just have to wait and see."

I didn't mean to imply that my levels were off the charts or anything, just that they were high for someone who is supposedly miscarrying.

The more I think about it, the more likely it seems that my dates are off. I think I ovulated 4-5 days late in my cycle. Which would mean I was 5.4-5.5 weeks when I had my ultrasound.

I am trying not to worry....to think positive and wait until next Friday's ultrasound.
shellbelle
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby tlink34 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:08 am

It is good that your numbers are going up...hang in there girl!
Teresa,42
Sweet Baby Isaac
Isn't he gorgeous?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v724/ ... C03995.jpg
tlink34
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby mafiedler » Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:48 am

I agree thats high for someone who's supposedly miscarrying. :H
mafiedler
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby shellbelle » Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:14 pm

I went in for my followup ultrasound today and Praise the Lord, we saw the baby!!!

Everything looked absolutely perfect and baby's heart was beating away.

The baby measured about 5 days smaller than what we expected given my last menstrual period, but it makes sense because I ovulated late in my cycle.

I am just overjoyed and thankful that the blighted ovum diagnosis was unfounded!
shellbelle
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby mhart71 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:12 pm

:)8 Wonderful news! I hope you have a terrific 9 months! :)8
B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B)
Melissa, 34, mom to Thomas (8), Kaleigh (6), Garrett (3 Down syndrome) and Braden born 7/18/-6 7lbs. 5 oz. 20.5"
Blighted ovum Jan. 2005, Blighted twin with this pregnancy
mhart71
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby mafiedler » Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:09 pm

Whoooo! Now we should get this moved to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriages.....YAY!! :)8 :)8 :)8 :)8 :)8 :)8 :)8
mafiedler
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby confusedbecky » Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:09 pm

Oh Shellbelle, this is an incredible story. I am so happy for you. I jumped when I read your last post. I am going through a similar situation right now. LMP 5/2/06. Went in on 7/6/06 for first US, tech found 2 gest sac but nothing inside. According to my LMP, I should be around 9 wks but the sac only measures 5wks1day. I know my cycle is around 30 days long. I am in the process of monitoring my HCG level. It was 4100 last taken on 7/6/06. I do have a history of miscarriages. I hate to be negative, but I think this is just another miscarriage. :(
confusedbecky
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:40 pm

Wonderful, wonderful news. I am just so happy for you. Wouldn't it be wonderful if doctors didn't scare women unnecessarily and just waited for this type of diagnosis?

Moving this to the misdiagnosed side...yay!
Kay

wow, i am in the same boat

Postby shaynmack » Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:40 pm

lmp june 3rd. 3rd preg, 1 living, she also was misdiagnosed as an ectopic preg. my hcg has been 272, 576, 1040, 3570. ultrasound shows 1 poss 2 sacs, but empty. they guess i am 6-7 weeks, but i have a tilted uterus, and the sacs are only measuring 1mm. here we go again being told it is a non viable pregnancy, and i am telling them wait. if i had listened before, i would not have my precious 4yr old daughter. i am not about to listen to them now. being a dr. means you just got at least a "c" in medical school, and i am tired of callous people who think women should just get over it, move on and have another. well, we ALL make mistakes including doctors. when i get to their idea of 10-12 weeks then we will start talking if no heartbeat and still nothing in the sac. for all the rest of you women, stay strong! the grace of God will lead you
shaynmack
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories