Blighted Ovum? UPDATE: Misdiagnosed

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

Blighted Ovum? UPDATE: Misdiagnosed

Postby carinanatalie » Sun May 21, 2006 6:32 pm

Hello, my name is Karina and I believe I am 5 weeks pregnant. I have a wonderful 7 year old who is anxious to play the role of a big sister. My husband and I have tried to get pregnant for 2 years due to having irregular periods, however were unsuccessful until I began taking Clomid on March 20th. On April 28th I took the home pregnancy test and was postive, immediately, with pressure from my sisters I went to see my doctor on 4/29/06, the Dr performed an U/S and said that I might have just gotten pregnant and asked that I come back for another US in 10 days. During that US the Physician Assistants were able to see the sac and said they would call the doctor. Two days later the doctor called me and said she wanted to come in for another US, which was this Thursday. During the US the doctor said that the SAC grew, however due to the size she should have seen the baby, however did not. She then said that with all her experience what probably happened was that the baby probably did not get enought nourishment and stop growing. She then mentioned that if her suspisions are correct the HCG would drop, however also decided to schedule me for another US with a "technician, the US will be tomorrow 5/22. She sounded so sure of herself , but in my heart I could not believe it. My daughter and Husband were in the room and my husband began to cry. After the appointment I told my daughter that the doctor thinks that God took the baby to heaven. this Friday the doctor left me a message and said that my HCG levels are good and to not loose hope. The news gave me back some hope to see the baby tomorrow. This website has been very informative and very helpful in knowing that I am not the only one that feels the way I feel.
Keepingmyhopesup
1 daughter 7 years old 7/19/98
carinanatalie
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Sun May 21, 2006 7:26 pm

Okay, not knowing but guessing, seems to me you conceived possibly around April 14th. Often pregnancy tests show a pretty clear positive two weeks later so we'll just assume you are about seven weeks pregnant.

First of all, seven weeks pregnant is much too early to diagnose a blighted ovum. I personally believe doctors should wait until nine weeks at the earliest since numerous women find their babies at eight or nine weeks.

Just for reference, I was nearly nine weeks with a sac that measured 28.5mm (it was actually bigger but measurements in women with a tilted uterus often look a week or two behind) and hcg levels well over 100,000 before my baby was seen. My u/s's at 5 1/2, 6, 7 and 8 weeks all showed an empty growing sac. At about seven weeks they were positive I had a blighted ovum and wanted to do the D&C because they said the baby is always seen in a sac that big and my hcg's were high by that time.

Hang in there. (((Hugs)))
Kay

Postby kat* » Sun May 21, 2006 8:38 pm

Oh, I am so sorry you are going through this! I soooo agree with Kay. I had bleeding and an u/s done at 6.5 weeks and all they saw was a sac, the dr said he didnt think it looked good, but he ordered HCG. When he called me with the levels he was almost more negative because in his opinion, with numbers as high as mine he felt he should have seen more. I went in at 7.5 weeks expecting the bad news and instead, there was a heartbeat and I am now 16-17 weeks and moving along. I pray at your next u/s you find a happy surprise!
Kat
Mom of 5, dd Aimee 19,ds Nicolas 15,ds Kyle 10 and dd Ciara 8 and Ms Katie Rose!
Angel ds 9/1990 and Angel ds 5/2005
Kathleen Rose arrived at 9:22pm on October 24, 2006!
http://www.babysites.com/sites/katmarchand
kat*
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

good news

Postby carinanatalie » Mon May 22, 2006 11:14 pm

I had an Ultra sound with a technician and the doctor called me with the great news that they were able to find a baby that is 5 weeks 2 days old. I was so relieved. The doctor also mentioned that she was concerned with the dates since the first day of my LMP was on 3/9. I advised her that I have always had irregular periods and had the same issue with my daughter. She then suggested that I get another HCG test, which will be my 5th one in 3 weeks, I dont mind doing the test its just the waiting makes me nervous and scared. So I am scheduled for another U/S in 10 days. Anyways, I am happy with the news that my little rice grain 8)O has been found!! :)8 I thank you all for your support and prayers
Keepingmyhopesup
1 daughter 7 years old 7/19/98
carinanatalie
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Tue May 23, 2006 12:02 am

Yay!!! Congratulations on finding that baby. Don't let that doctor scare you anymore. You might want to consider a new doctor. She sounds awfully negative and with your irregular cycles and many women looking one to two weeks behind during the first trimester, I'm sure all is just fine.

I'll be copying this to the misdiagnosed forum. You'll give women hope with this story.

God bless you and that little one of yours. I really am so happy for you.
Kay

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories