My Blighted Ovum Story from the UK

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

My Blighted Ovum Story from the UK

Postby Nicola » Wed May 03, 2006 10:17 am

Hello,

On the 24th April 2006 I was told to expect to miscarry within days. I was completely left without hope and was at home waiting for the inevitable to happen when I was searching on the internet at found this site.

Wow...it completely changed the way I was thinking and gave me some hope.

Having been back to the hospital yesterday for a third scan I thought I'd share my misdiagnosed miscarriage story with you all...

I did a positive HPT on 11th April 2006. All was well until 19th April when I started to experience a stitch like constant pain in my lower abdomen on the left side. Concerned, I went to see my Doctor who referred me to the hospital the following day to rule out an ectopic pregnancy.

The following day I had the scan and all was well...the sonographer said that she could see the amneotic sac but wasn't worried that she could not see a yolk sac or a fetal pole as it was early days. A second visit was scheduled for 24th april to check its progress.

The day before the appointment I started to spot a dark brown blood. Not much though and I wasn't overly concerned as my to close friends both bled in pregnancy and went on to have normal pregnancies. Also knowing my scan was the following day put me at ease.

At this scan I had both a abdomnial and vaginal scan and was told by the sonographer that, whist the amniotic sac had grown to 16mm there was no yolk sac or fetal pole visable. In addition the amneotic sac was an irregular shape. I was told in light of this, the spotting and the earlier pain I had experienced I would probably miscarry shortly, in fact the spotting I was currently having was probably the start of it!! (at this stage I was only 5 weeks and 6 days pregnant) Both my husband and I were completely devistated and in a state of shock as only 4 days earlier were told everything was fine.

We then had to wait to see the midwife who confirmed what the sonographer had said and arranged an appointment for eight days later for a third scan, but she said the likelyhood was I would miscarry before then and as soon as I do I must return to the hospital for a scan to see what's going on.

When we asked if what we saw on the scan was definite we were told that in her professional opinion a miscarriage was most likely as nothing could be seen within the irregular shaped sac. We left the hospital without a glimmer of hope and feeling terrible.

The next eight days were awful and the longest of my life. The spotting stopped the following day after the scan but I did not feel pregnant anymore, all the symptoms had gone. I did not return to work as I was too scared to leave the house as the Midwife warned when I miscarry it could flood all at once (I work in a large mixed sex office and would be mortified if it happened there)

I decided to look on the internet on the Sunday before my final scan as it had been 6 days since my last scan and I had not miscarried, it was then that I found this wonderful site. I read so my stories that were so similar to mine I began to hope that maybe the hospital were wrong and a miricle might happen.

Yesterday was my scan day. I had not spotted since last Tuesday and the earlier pregnancy symptoms that were lost had now returned although I was still terrified and did not want to raise my hopes up as the sonographer and the Midwife were so certain last time.

The hospital was running late and we had to wait over an hour to be seen, which was awful, not just because of the anxiety but also my full bladder!!

It was a different sonographer this time and I could not see the screen when she started the scan so I had the read her facial features for any clues. Within seconds she started to smile and turned the screen round to face me. Not only was there a perfectly normal shaped amniotic sac there was a yolk sac and a tiny fetal pole complete with Heatbeat!!!!!!!! OH MY GOD!!! She said that according to the size I was 6 weeks and 3 days which means my dates were out by 4 days which obviously made all the difference.

It was my Husbands Birthday yesterday and it was cetainly the best present ever. I have to go back for another scan in four weeks but that is just to confirm the dates. The hospital are confident now that everything will go to plan and my due date is bang on Christmas 2006!!

Woke up this morning at 05.30 feeling really sick.....FANTASTIC!!!
Nicola
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby DebiJ » Wed May 03, 2006 10:29 am

What a beautiful story. Congratualtions. :)8 :)8 :)8 :)8
Debi
Mom to Jordan, Taylor, Braden, Ryelan & Cayden
Angel baby June 17, 2005
Little miracle baby, Landon Luke, born 8-27-07!
DebiJ
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby april1979 » Wed May 03, 2006 10:31 am

I am so very happy for you and so very glad to hear that they were wrong!!! That is outstanding!!! Please be sure to keep us posted on your progressing pregnancy...
april1979
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby butterdragons » Wed May 03, 2006 10:34 am

Wonderful news! Congratulations. :) :) :)
Shawna--33 yo married SAHM
2 boys and a princess: Jake (6), Daniel (4), Eden (17 mos)
3 little angels in heaven
butterdragons
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby CINC » Wed May 03, 2006 11:24 am

Good on you!!! Congratulations!
Nicole
~I can do all things through Him that strengthens me.~
Mom to Elijah Samuel 1/3/03 & Isaac Kallel 9/23/06
CINC
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Sara33 » Wed May 03, 2006 12:13 pm

thats great news :)

Thanks for sharing

as a fellow brit I have concluded that the staff at our hospitals arent always the most helpful and sympathetic.
Sara33
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby kat* » Wed May 03, 2006 2:21 pm

Oh, I was so happy to read the ending of your post and on your husbands birthday and the baby's due date is Christmas! You have a beautiful little miracle there! My oldest daughter came the day after Christmas and I still enjoy having her as the best Christmas present I ever recieved. I pray for you that the rest of your pregnancy is healthy and safe! Congratulations!
Kat
Mom of 5, dd Aimee 19,ds Nicolas 15,ds Kyle 10 and dd Ciara 8 and Ms Katie Rose!
Angel ds 9/1990 and Angel ds 5/2005
Kathleen Rose arrived at 9:22pm on October 24, 2006!
http://www.babysites.com/sites/katmarchand
kat*
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Nicola » Thu May 04, 2006 1:08 pm

Thanks for all your kind messages

My Birthday is also just after Christmas so chances are could be either a Christmas or Birthday present for me!!!

Sara,
I tend to agree with your comments on British Hospitals. Whilst I generally support the NHS they obviously are a bit quick to judge sometimes. If my scan came back last Tuesday as inconclusive I was considering paying to go private!!! Thankfully can now save my money for baby things instead!!!
Nicola
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

I have a little girl

Postby Nicola » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:47 pm

Hi,
I know it's been a while but I've been busy being pregnant and having a baby. My suspected blighted ovum was born on Friday 15th December 2006 and weighed in a healthy 7lb 13 1/2 oz.

She is absolutely beautiful and four months old now. We named her Lauren
Nicola
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby pinaymom » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:03 pm

:)8 :)8 :)8 CONGRATULATIONS!!! :)8 :)8 :)8

I am a new member of this board and reading your post just lifted my spirit up right now when I most needed it. I will have a repeat scan tomorrow after seeing just an empty sac almost 2 weeks ago. Thanks for posting today, as this gave me a way to read your story. I am so very happy for you! :)O

Enjoy your baby! 8)O

God bless.

Elaine
pinaymom
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Nicola » Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:40 am

Hi Elaine,

I am keeping my fingers crossed for you today and I truly wish that all goes well with your scan today.

Please post a reply with your news it would be amazing to hear that the doc's found a little heartbeat today.

Take Care

Nikki
Nicola
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Just an update...

Postby pinaymom » Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:51 pm

Just an exact copy of my post in the B/O section
===============================

I am happy to update you after a 30-minute abdominal u/s with no comment coming from the u/s tech (she is practically just chewing her gum the whole time) until I complained - "I am dying of suspense here can anyone tell me what's going on?", she swiveled the monitor for me to see my baby and his/her beating heart at the rate of 167. I don't know what happened but I didn't cry, I just felt so relieved. DH couldn't stop crying though since he saw the heartbeat.

Though I will still be nervous for the whole length of the pregnancy (I lost my 1st at 16w2d), I am very thankful to God for blessing me my third pregnancy and hopefully He will continue blessing me and this baby so me and my husband could have our 2nd successful birth to a healthy and normal child.

Thanks for all your prayers and support.

God bless us all.

Elaine :)

P.S. Nicola, thanks again for posting you success story. Like a lot of stories here, yours made me survive on waiting for this day. Hopefully these give me continued inspiration all throughout this pregnancy. God bless you.
pinaymom
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby april1979 » Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:11 am

Great news!!!
april1979
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Your story gave me great hope

Postby muslimahk » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:17 am

Hi my siuation is similar to you.

I am diagonsed B/O (@ week 6) bcoz my yolk sac isn't growing, my gestational sac is deformed too.

I like you have no pregnnacy symptoms,i had them mild in the begining.

But as you said you have no symptoms too and yet you have a healthy baby, I amup for hope now.

thanks for sharing your stories.
I will keep u updated.
muslimahk
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Same as you

Postby muslimahk » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:54 am

hi our stories are so much same as you.

even my yolk sac isn't growing and the gestational sac is deformed.
:d even my husband cried on the day i was toldi have am empty sac.
so i know how you must have felt when seeing him cry. You feel sad, you want to make him happy but you have no power at all to do anything.

and as i type my story here on this website no, one has answered mypost.

And it makes me worry more.

if you can pls contact me or answer my post
muslimahk
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Re: My Blighted Ovum Story from the UK

Postby Alright » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:52 pm

wow, i know this is an old post, sorta gave me chills though, sounded just like my exact situation right now, also took in in april, due Christmas 2011, irregular shaped amniotic sac, supposedly waiting to miscarry, NEVERTHELESS holding on to God who is the Author and Finisher of my faith. Aint nothing God can't fix. keeping my fingers crossed. :)O<
Alright
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby GodisMYDr » Sun May 01, 2011 12:25 pm

Awesome! It caught my attention because I've been declaring and believing all month God is the Author and Finisher of my faith!!!! My levels are rising appropriately, I have no pain or blood and they have declared, "the baby stopped growing" I'm still believing! Thanks for your post...I believe God confirms in so many odd ways and this is one. I'll hold on to my Faith, and Trust God to see us through...may I ask you, how far along are you now?

Take Care!!!
GodisMYDr
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Alright » Sun May 01, 2011 4:50 pm

I am five weeks and 5 days today, the last call I got from my OB/GYN said my HCG finally dropped, I smiled on my end because I know they are in for a surprise. God's strength is made perfect in our weakness, I have seen God do a lot of wonders before, I am excited because I know I am in the middle of one of those miracles right now. Just don't give up, when there is persistence, resistance gives way.
:)
Alright
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories