Article - Baby shows up after a D&C - Alive!

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

Article - Baby shows up after a D&C - Alive!

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:53 pm

Unfortunately, this story is cached so I hope it doesn't disappear. I'll cut and pasted the letter from Life Issues Institute Inc in its entirety along with the cached link

------

LIFE ISSUES NO. 34-1

MISSED MISCARRIAGE

Today, I have a letter for you. I think you’ll find it interesting. She starts by saying: “I listened in tears today as Dr. Willke read an anonymous letter from a mother to her aborted child. I was deeply affected, not because I chose to abort my unborn child but because my little girl was nearly aborted because of a doctor’s misdiagnosis. Here’s my story:

“Two days after Christmas, I had gone to my doctor’s office for an ultrasound to date my pregnancy. I was excited and anxious about this third child and, from the moment I knew of her existence, she was loved and wanted. The ultrasound didn’t look like much to me—blobs of black and white—but the ultrasound technician told me that the sac did not appear to contain a fetal pole and she couldn’t find a heartbeat.

“Still, I felt fine about the pregnancy; everything seemed normal to me, but later that day the midwife called to give me a diagnosis. She said that this was a “blighted ovum”, an empty sac where no baby had developed. The doctor, then, suggested a suction D&C (scraping out my womb) the next day.

“I met with the doctor that night and he assured me that he could tell, with 100% certainty, that this was not a baby… there was no life here. My health, or even my life, might be in danger if I did not have this procedure. He insisted; I consented and went to the hospital the next morning.

“As I lay on the operating table, my heart heavy with grief and mourning for this lost child, I could feel myself drifting into unconsciousness. I prayed to God, “If this child is alive, please protect it.” I had no reason to doubt the doctor; he was so certain. I can now know with a surety that the Holy Spirit placed this prayer on my heart.

“Seven weeks after my suction D&C, in February, God gave me the greatest valentine. I had continued to feel symptoms of pregnancy for weeks after my D&C. I called my doctor’s office a number of times, but they had no explanation. I finally told them I thought I was pregnant again. I went in for a blood test and a subsequent ultrasound, and it showed a 14-week-old baby—and this was seven weeks after my D&C. My valentine from God was a healthy baby who survived the doctor’s knife and the suction tube.

“God demonstrated his love for me and for this child. I know now that God loves the unborn. I always have, but never has His love been more clear than in this miracle of life. My daughter will be born around August 15th. She has all her limbs and fingers and toes and seems very healthy and active. She is being carefully watched.

“I do not know how often a D&C is performed on a misdiagnosed miscarriage, but I’m certain that I was not the first. I know that my case is special because my daughter is alive. As you can imagine, this has been a tough experience, an emotional roller coaster, but I hope that my story gives you hope. I can’t wait to see what God has in store for this child…we will name her Hope.”

She signs it – “Christina”.

[08/19/02]

http://66.218.71.225/search/cache?p=%22 ... 1&.intl=us

Postby SweetRoses » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:15 pm

Wow, reading this post really makes me feel confused. It was my first pregnancy, and I told my doctor that my periods were extremely irregular, between 45-60 days between cycles, so I couldn't be sure when I might have conceived. But, I think my doctor applied the standard calculations to determine my due date.
Anyhow, I went in for my first u/s at what should have been 12weeks 5 days. I showed a large yolk sac and a baby that was 8 weeks and 4 days with no heartbeat. Both u/s tech and doctor said it was not a viable pregnancy, and sent me immediately within the next hour, to the hospital for a second opinion. The second u/s tech also said the pregnancy was not viable.
I always thought that my doctor is always right - and that I should always follow her counsel. She told me my options to have a D&C, or have a natural miscarriage. I opted for the D&C because I didn't want to risk getting an infection or having the miscarriage at a bad time. I had the D&C within a week of being told my pregnancy was inviable.
It's been 6 weeks since my D&C, and lately I'm wondering if they got everything because, inspite of all my efforts to lose weight by diet and excersize, with help from my husband who is a registered dietician and personal trainer, my belly is getting bigger by the week! And not just bigger, as in flabbier, but firm and higher up on my abdomen in an area where I have never been prone to expand before.

I thought that it was impossible, but after checking this site, I think I will give my doctor a call and go back for a follow-up check.
SweetRoses
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:45 pm

Cannot hurt to have a follow-up appointment. Usually a diagnosed miscarriage is in fact a miscarriage. However, if the baby is seen without a heartbeat during the first trimester and there are no complications, waiting one week to verify is usually a good idea.
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Postby leah p » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:25 pm

get a checkup my cousin has a 15 year old girl who also survived a d&c she was given one at 8 weeks when no heartbeat was detected. Pregnancy symptoms continued doctor told her not to be silly. 8 weeks later consulted a different doctor insisting she could feel movement ultrasound showed a healthy 16 week baby.
Good luck and remember miracles do happen.
leah p
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Lillibet » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:32 am

My mother had this happen to her. She had a M/C in Oct, D&C in Nov of that same year, and in Dec was back in hospital bleeding with a threatened M/C. The doctor who attended her wouldn't believe her that she had a D&C in Nov becuase the pregancy was too advanced. I was born full-term the following July. She believes she must have miscarried my twin.

Maybe sometimes when a doctor doesn't detect a second baby they can get a bit complacent doing the D&C and having removed one sac don't look any further. Anyway I'm glad they missed me :)

So yes - this definitely can happen.
Lil (37), DH (47)
- B/O found @ 9 wks (Feb 05), Missed M/C twins @ 8 wks (Jul 09), M/C @ 6 wks (Dec 09)
Lillibet
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories