Originally posted by OctoberLibraMom1 10/14/2004
I usually post at medhelp or the baby center forum,but thanks to lovinmom,who gave me this link,I decided to share my story.Maybe it'll help others who are going through what i did early in this pregnancy.My last period was may 5th,2004 and took a hpt on june 1st.I already had 3 children from my previous husband,and once the shock wore off,my current hubby and I were ecstatic.I waited till i was about 7 weeks for my first appt. with a new DR. [my DR. who delivered my last 3 retired].I went in expecting a due date,and bloodwork,but was informed i'd be having a vag u/s to date the pregnancy.I protested,saying my last DR. didn't believe in early u/s.She said it was her "standard" procedure.Well,according to her u/s machine,i wa only 5weeks3day,and diagnosed with a possible blighted ovum,only a sac and yolk was visible,no fetal pole.I was devestated.She went on to discuss a d and c,and for me to come back in 2 weeks for the procedure,if i didn't miscarry on my own.She never prescribed blood work,prenates or even gave me a due date !! I went home thinking the worst,but I still felt pregnant.I went on the web,and found some really great sites which gave me hope,so I made a appt. with a different DR. for a second opinion.That was the longest wait in my life,but well worth it.I went in,explained my concerns,and expected the worst.Lo and behold,there was my baby on the u/s screen,complete with a strong heartbeat.It was so clear,i could even see the 4 chambers and valves all working properly!! I was on cloud nine,not only because i'm still pregnant,but i found a DR. that doesn't treat pregnancy like its a disease that needs to be cured.Its a natural process,and all that an early u/s does is scare the new mother half to death if there baby isn't "the norm". You could have ovulated REALLY late in your cycle,the egg could have taken an extra couple days to implant,baby could be hiding from the u/s waves,uterus could be tilted,ANYTHING!! I am currently 19 weeks today,and if i would have stayed with the first DR,i wouldn't be.My advice is that if you get news you don't feel comfortable with,get a second opinion and wait things out.Your body knows whats going on,just listen to it and give it time.I hope this helps someone thats in need of comforting news.