HCG Levels not doubling at 5 weeks

HCG Levels not doubling at 5 weeks

Postby newmommy24 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:11 pm

I'm new to this but really needed to talk to others who have seen this before. I found out I was pregnant 1 week ago today through a beta HCG test. My level was 14 and the dr says that was low but he would monitor. My levels went up to 20, 2 days later, and than 2 days after that it went to 35. The dr had me wait 3 days this time, so I took another beta test this morning. My levels are now at 51. The dr says this pregnancy will not progress and if the levels are no good after saturday or monday, he wants to talk to me about forcing a miscarriage in hopes that we can try again. Has anyone every had slow rising HCG levels and still had a successful pregnancy? I do not want to force a miscarriage if my baby has a chance. I'm soooo confused!!
newmommy24
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Re: HCG Levels not doubling at 5 weeks

Postby HopefulMama75 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:55 pm

New mommy, I am right there with you....my beta started low at 26 and is now at 412...i go back Monday. The IVF coordinator at my RE told me that if they don't see a heartbeat by Wednesday (when I'll only be 6 weeks 0 days) they may offer me a shot to force a m/c --- no way will I be doing that!!! This site is full of stories of women who started off low and went on to have babies. Hang in there and don't let anyone force you to end your pregnancy unless you are ready. Good luck!!!
HopefulMama75
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby newmommy24 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:37 pm

HopefulMama, you have no idea how bad I needed your words. I have wanted this too bad to just end it without giving my baby a chance to show me what he/she wants. One dr at my fertility clinic told.me that as long as my levels kept rising they would watch it. Another is saying they may have. To end it. How long did it take for your levels to rise? Did they double or did they rise slowly? I am praying for you as well...please let me know how your ultrasound goes. I truly wish you the very best!!!
newmommy24
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby HopefulMama75 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:35 am

I went from 26.3 to 64 in 37 hours and then to 148 in 59 hours. At that point, the dr said I'd probably miscarry since the doubling time slowed down. I freaked out and spent most of the weekend on this and similar sites looking for comfort. I went in yesterday and it had doubled again to 412 in 48.75 hours. The small sac they had seen at 148 was still there. My RE was not in yesterday but the nurses were not encouraging -- even though they admitted that they didn't expect anything new on the u/s and had done it expecting to see that the "area of attempted implantation" had "resolved itself." I say to hell with them -- these little beans are FIGHTERS and unless the pregnancy is in your tube or otherwise causing you danger, you give that little guy as much time as he needs. I am praying for you and your little angel.
HopefulMama75
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby newmommy24 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:24 pm

Awe thank you sooo much!!! I am praying for your lil angel as well. I think that you will be fine though. My dr says that they can't see much when your levels are below 1,000 anyway so how exactly are they so sure that your little bean will not make it? That's the part that's most desturbing. It's like they write them off before ever giving them a chance. As for me, I am going to keep on going. I am not letting my little one go without a fight. I'm going to leave it up to my angel and my body to tell me what's the best route and if it's not meant to be than my body will handle things accordingly. I just want to get over 100!!! JEESH! I wish you the very best!
newmommy24
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby HopefulMama75 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:35 pm

I wish you the best, too. Hang in there!!!
HopefulMama75
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby HopefulMama75 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:02 pm

Any news, new mommy? My hcg is now at 1565 --- gestational sac but no yolk sac yet. Have to go back on Friday.
HopefulMama75
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby newmommy24 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:50 am

Hi HopefulMama, That is GREAT!!!! I think you will be fine. I think your little bean is just still too small to see. As for me, my news is not good. On saturday my levels went to 87.1 from 51 (still not doubling). They were concerned and had me come in yesterday for a transvaginal ultrasound but my uterus was empty. They told me it was ectopic (although they could not find anything in either tube) and highly recommended that I take the Metrotraxate (I know I spelled that wrong) shot. Since I wasnt feeling any type of discomfort or anything I insisted they wait to see what my levels were for the day (they took more blood). I wanted to miscarry naturally if that was going to be my fate. Fortunate for me, my levels yesterday dropped from 87.1 to 36 so I am definitely miscarrying. I still have not started bleeding yet but they will check my levels again on Thursday to see if they're back down under 4. They say that once the levels drop I will bleed and can start the process over again. Fortunate for me I have 3 frozen embryos and I am praying that the next time ends better than this time. Please please please continue to update me on your little bean. I am going to be biting my nails waiting for your scan on Friday.
newmommy24
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby HopefulMama75 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:24 pm

I'm sorry it did not work out, new mommy -- but such great news that you now know that you can get pregnant and that you have some beautiful snow babies to try again!!! Good luck!!!
HopefulMama75
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby newmommy24 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:27 pm

Thank you so much! We are looking forward to the next try. This was our first IVF try and we got a positive result the first time so I'm happy about that...no matter what I'm going to cherish these 5 weeks. I am still praying for you!! I'm sending you sprinkles of best wishes for your scan on Friday! :)8
newmommy24
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby HopefulMama75 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:43 pm

My baby stopped developing. I am going to have my one remaining frozen embryo genetically tested to make sure it's normal before going through this again :(
HopefulMama75
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby newmommy24 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:35 pm

OMG!!!! I am so sorry to here about that :*( . These things are the absolute WORSE!!!! And believe me when I say that I know first hand how you are feeling. Just know that you are in ny heart and prayers. We were told thay we had to wait for our next cycle before we could start FET. I began bleeding thursday night so I am hoping my next period comes at a somewhat normal time frame. Did they tell you how long the genetic testing would take?
newmommy24
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby HopefulMama75 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:03 pm

He didn't -- they send the embryo off site ( I guess there are only a few places that do it). I haven't started bleeding yet, which sucks, and if I recall correctly last time this happened it took quite a while for my hcg to drop to zero -- I remember it being 7 for what seemed like forever! I lost that baby in late March 2010 and found out I was pregnant with my Bitsy on July 9, 2010, so I'm guessing it'll be like March or something before I'm in a new cycle....
HopefulMama75
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby newmommy24 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:28 pm

SMH! I had my levels checked on Saturday and they're at 3.9 so I'm in the clear. I guess the only upside to my levels not reaching more than 87 was that it didn't take as long for it to drop back down. It's still very depressing. I hope that for you, things move quicker. We're looking at a time frame of the end of of January/beginning of February to do the next transfer (unless my period comes before than) and to me that's a lifetime away so I am praying you don't have to wait another 3 months! Just know that you have a friend over here. If you ever need a listening ear you got it.
newmommy24
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby HopefulMama75 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:29 pm

Thanks, new mommy. My hcg went up to over 2600 -- my dr said the "baby" could continue to grow at a very slow rate for a while more before the miscarriage begins. The thought of that is beyond heartbreaking. I am going to go have bloodwork done later in the week and I swear the second it starts to drop I am having the D&E. I cannot walk around "pregnant" but not for weeks on end. Such a sad time.
HopefulMama75
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby newmommy24 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:17 am

WOOOOOOW!!! I can't even imagine that. I was having a hard time walking around "pregnant" for the 4 days it took me to start bleeding. But to have to do it for weeks.......UNIMAGINABLE! I can definitely understand your decision :( Our little ones truly do become such a big part of us even before we ever meet them. I know it's hard but hang in there!!
newmommy24
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Hope2bmom2013 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:08 pm

Hello, my name is lisa, last week i found out through a home pregnancy test (2) that i was in fact pregnant.
My fiancee didnt really trust them, so i decided to go to the local er. Which also turn into a positive.
And i was all good for about 3 days found out i was 4 weeks and 6 days pregnant.
Then came the little cramps and brown discharge.
Ran to the hospital to find out my hcg was 200 for a 5 week pregnancy. They called it low.
They told me to come back two days from now which is today. Got retested and told me my hcg was at 134. And still have little cramps and brown discharge.
Can they be wrong. I feel pregnant still. My stomach is still hard, i still get nausea, irritabilty, and i can feel these little warm butterfly feelings in my lower abdominal area. Plus i have Alot of bathroom trips.
Can i still be perfectly fine with low hcg levels?
The local er has denied me of a ultrasound to even see if there is a sac or anything, twice now.
I pray im a slow riser.
Hope2bmom2013
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Possible Miscarriage - HCG Related Issues