Blighted ovum misdiagnosed! HCG slow rising

Blighted ovum misdiagnosed! HCG slow rising

Postby andj84 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:32 pm

I read a lot of stories on this site over the last 2 weeks and they gave me hope, so i had to share mine to give others hope.

2 weeks ago i was sent for an early scan as my cycles were irregular, (after getting a positive test 2 weeks before, so i would of been roughly 6 weeks). I was told that the sac measured 12mm, and looked "irregular" She said it didnt look as solid as she would like to see, and was empty, -no yolk nothing. They took me into another room, said they were sorry and that it looked like a blighted ovum. Took my pregnancy notes to return to my midwife. They refered me to the local Early Pregnancy Unit 25 miles away for blood tests to check my hcg levels. The first (taken straight after the scan) came back at 20,100. I was told at this level they would of expected to see something in the sac. 2 days later my 2nd beta came back at 25,186. I was told it was a rise but only 21%, not the 60% they wanted to see, so that would tie in with the blighted ovum. My final beta 3 days later came back at 33,616, which was only a 33% rise in 72hours.

I was told that the slow rising HCG together with the empty sac, it really did look like a blighted ovum, and that my levels would start to fall, and if i didnt miscarry naturally over the weekend they would book me in for a scan to confirm 2 weeks from the date of my first.

Well after 2 weeks of emotional heartache, crying and preparing for the worst we went for the scan this morning.

We were taken into a side room when we got there and a midwife went through my recent HCG levels and basically just prepared us to expect the worst when we went in to the scan room, saying she didnt want to give us false hope.

I didnt even want to look at the screen as couldnt bear to hear them say it was empty. She was quiet for a few seconds then said "and theres the embryo with a heartbeat!" E> We were gobsmacked! The midwife actually came in to offer support expecting to schedule the D+C and was very shocked to see our baby on the screen, measuring 7 and a half weeks! :)8

All along i had been told that it looked bad, and i clung on to the hope that maybe it was just too early. It just goes to show that Drs are not always right, and HCG doesnt always have to double.

Keep hold of that hope, not all pregnancies are textbook x
andj84
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Re: Blighted ovum misdiagnosed! HCG slow rising

Postby AlonnaM » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:22 pm

I hope this happens to me! Did they say the baby was measuring a little smaller than it should be?
AlonnaM
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby misima2 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:39 pm

I hope this is happens to me too. I am so happy for you. I am having the same issue AlonnaM is my baby is measuring to small. I hope it is just to early to see. They are telling me I should miscarriage this week. i am praying for the best and hoping they are wrong.
misima2
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby andj84 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:41 pm

No they never really said why they couldnt see it at the first scan, just that it may of been too early. Ive just had my 12 week scan and all was well, they dated me due 12th april 2013, so at my original scan i would of been 5 weeks 5 days. Really hope you both get positive outcomes!
andj84
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Possible Miscarriage - Blighted Ovum