I had a beautiful baby girl January, 2004 thanks to IVF. During that cycle, we had 5 embryos to freeze for future cycles. We transferred 3 of them on Sept. 29th. All was going well, first beta came back at 115, second one, four days later, at 515.
Then, Sunday, Oct. 23, I experienced 3 hours of heavy bleeding with clots. I called the doctor, and went in the next morning for b/w and an u/s. After having experienced 3 m/c's previously, I was sure there would be nothing to see on the u/s and that my numbers would have dropped.
The doctor had a difficult time finding anything at first, because my uterus was turned sideways. When she did find the gestational sac, she said it was too small, measuring at a little over 5 weeks when I should have been 6 weeks. She told me my baby had stopped growing. Since that was what I was expecting to hear, I accepted it without question.
Then, that same afternoon, she called to tell me my beta had come back at over 4,000, which was a normal increase. I went back today, Oct. 28th, for another beta that came back at 8,199. The doctor now thinks that I lost a twin on Sunday, but that I still have one healthy baby in there!!
I'm so glad the doctor ordered the beta in addition to the u/s, because I have to take progesterone and estrogen supplements to support this pregnancy until the second trimester. If we had made a decision based on the u/s alone, I would have stopped the supplements and lost this baby for certain.
My advice to anyone told this early on that their pregnancy is doomed is, don't make a decision based on any one u/s. Get all the facts you can, and give it some time before you decide what to do.