As doc schedules D&C, mom finds baby

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

As doc schedules D&C, mom finds baby

Postby Christa » Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:54 pm

I've been looking at posts here for a week or so, one of the toughest weeks of my life. I feel like I really need to share what has happened to me in the past couple of weeks. I'm a little ashamed that I had pretty much given up hope, I'm posting to say don't ever do that!

Anyway, here goes. This could get long so I'll apologize in advance.

I've had four previous miscarriages, the last one being a blighted ovum. Needless to say, my doctors have been keeping close tabs on me during this pregnancy.

I had an ultrasound done at 5w5d by my RE. We saw the gestational sac and what he thought was the yolk sac. He told me he was "cautiously optimistic" and sent me to my perinatologist for another u/s with the better machines.

I had my second u/s last Thursday, I was 6w1d. My normal perinatologist is on vacation so I saw another doctor in her practice. He again saw the gestational sac but told me that he was very concerned that he didn't see a heartbeat. His words were that in "50% of pregnancies you should see a heartbeat at 5 1/2 weeks, in 100% of pregnancies you should see it at that point where I was". Of course I was devastated. He gave me a 50/50 chance and told me to prepare for another miscarriage.

The next day I called and asked to have my betas drawn again. Up until this point they had been more than doubling, they looked great. I got my results back this past Monday, they weren't doubling as they should. I should have had an hcg level around 46,000, mine were at 36,000 and my progesterone had dropped a little as well. Again, the nurse told me it was pretty much a done deal, prepare for a miscarriage.

Yesterday I had what was supposed to be my final ultrasound at 7w1d. The tech started the scan, then called the perinatologist in the room. I could tell immediately by the look on their faces that it was bad news. I finally asked what was going on, the doctor said, yes in fact, this was a blighted ovum. He apologized and left the room to go call my other doctors.

The u/s tech continued to take some measurements. Almost at the exact same time my husband and I both noticed some movement at the top of the gestational sac. I asked the tech what that was, sure enough it was a baby with a heartbeat. The tech had to call the doctor back into the room, he was stunned. They turned on the sound and you could hear the baby's heartbeat going steady, 122 bpm. The perinatologist has "never seen anything like this in his 30 years". Honestly, I think he's covering himself because he wrote me off so soon. I'll be so thankful when my regular doctor is back in town, I can't wait to see her.

So there you have it. This doctor was actually on his way to schedule what could have been my 4th D&C and wouldn't you know my husband and I spot our own baby. There is a growth on the bottom of the gestational sac, they're concerned it could be a cyst, a blood clot or some tissue. They've said not to worry about it, so I'm not. Hopefully all will be well.

Moral of the story is definitely don't give up hope. Ever. We're very blessed. I wish much success and happiness to everyone.
Christa
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby smoochy726 » Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:52 pm

Wow so happy for you..........it gives me hope for my u/s on tuesday that i might have heartbeat for my baby. Today i am 8 weeks so I am praying that it will be.........

All the best to you for a healthy pregnany and baby. :cheer:
Tracy 37
Angel Baby 5/11/02 E> Angel MM/C 5/26/05 E>
Aaron Reese~April 19, 2006 6.15lbs, 20"
Maxwell Bryce~March 19, 2007 7.14lbs, 20.6"
smoochy726
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby MsG » Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:04 pm

Christa that gives me so much hope too!

Tracy I go for an u/s on Tuesday also and will be 8 weeks and a couple of days. I am praying for a little beating heart.
MsG
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby smoochy726 » Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:24 pm

MsG

I hope we both get to hear that sound on Tuesday...............I am praying. I will be 8 weeks 4 days then, but I am seeing others who have not seen theirs until 9 or 10 weeks .

I have hope!!! :heart:
Tracy 37
Angel Baby 5/11/02 E> Angel MM/C 5/26/05 E>
Aaron Reese~April 19, 2006 6.15lbs, 20"
Maxwell Bryce~March 19, 2007 7.14lbs, 20.6"
smoochy726
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:44 pm

Isn't that amazing? If you hadn't been looking at the u/s screen, you would not have known. Many offices won't let you see the screen when they believe there is bad news.

What a blessing. I am so glad you found your baby. Everything seems to be progressing quite normally and I am always saddened by those medical professionals who are just so gung ho on ending pregnancies even when there is still plenty of hope like your case.

please keep us up to date on how you and baby are doing and CONGRATS to you!

Kay :heart:
Kay

Postby Lovinmom » Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:51 pm

Congratulations! I am so happy for you that your baby was seen! We will keep you in our thoughts and prayers as this pregnancy progresses. There doctor doesn't seem to be concerned about the cyst, so that is a good sign. Especially since they seem to err on the side of doom.

Again, we are so happy for you! :cheer: Thank you for sharing!

Lovinmom :heart:
Lovinmom

Re: As doc schedules D&C, mom finds baby

Postby Redrose87 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:36 pm

That is some great news, I had my official first prenatal visit and the doctor said that they couldn't find the fetus. All she saw was blood clots and told me that it was unfortunately going to be a miscarriage. I have been spotting light blood but not much cramping like the first month. I am about 8 weeks using my LMP. When I was about six weeks I fell off the ladder at work and was told by my Dr. to go to the Emergency room. I went and was in there for about 6 hours and had different tests done and they were unable to find my baby, all they saw was the yolk sac. They said that it could be too early or it could be the beginning of a miscarriage, or that it is an outer uteran pregnancy. When they checked to see how the Cervix was, it was closed. They told me they didn't know what was going on. I was stressed out especially because this is my first pregnancy. The Dr. told me to come back in two days to check my HCG levels. At that time I was a little over 6,000 and then when I went in to get my levels checked two days later they doubled. The Dr.'s were sounding promising that it was going to be a healthy pregancy. Well I went in today and they still couldn't find anything :( The Dr. wasn't even my regular Doc because mine was on maternity leave. She only did one ultrasound and that was the vaginal one but did not see anything, she didn't even bother to check for a heart beat. Im stunned and emotionless I don't know what to do. She gave my a pill to enhance the miscarriage but I decided to have faith and wait it out. Your story is an inspiration and gives me hope. Congrats on your baby :)
~EXPECT THE WORST BUT HOPE FOR THE BEST~
Redrose87
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Re: As doc schedules D&C, mom finds baby

Postby hopingforamiracle1 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:43 am

Im praying for all of the women on this website in the positions we've all been put in lately. All I can say is ladies please hold on and trust God.

‘Do not fear, for I am with you; do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, surely I will help you, surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.’ Isaiah 41:10

Psalm 34:17-20

When the righteous cry for help, the Lord hears and delivers them out of all their troubles. The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit. Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the Lord delivers him out of them all. He keeps all his bones; not one of them is broken.

I hope we will all have the same outcome as these awesome stories we're reading about where God saves those precious babies and makes their little heartbeats apparent.

Praise God and Im praying for you all!
hopingforamiracle1
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories