Spotting, plateauing hcg's = misdiagnosed miscarriage

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

Spotting, plateauing hcg's = misdiagnosed miscarriage

Postby Tara » Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:15 pm

I began spotting a few days ago, and called my dr. I am 6 weeks along, and he wanted me to come in for an u/s. He could not find a h/b, so ordered an HCG test, and my levels came back at 34,000, which from what I have read is pretty high for only 6 weeks. The next day he ordered another HCG test and it came back at 36,000. Then he told me that basically it was over. I was really upset and kept asking him if there could have been a mistake, so he did 2 more ultrasounds on a bigger machine (transabdominal and transvaginal). Once again, there was no heartbeat, but he did find the yolk sac and the pole on this bigger machine. Then he sent me home to miscarry, and told me to call him in a week if nothing has happened, and we would schedule a D & C. All of these wonderful stories have me hoping, but do you think because my HCG levels did not rise very much that the inevitable will soon come? Also, what do I do until the miscarriage happens? How long will it take to start? AAAAAGGGHHHHHHH! This is horrible! I just feel like screaming! :fuss:
Tara
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Nursemommy » Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:45 pm

Tara,
You could have possibly only miscarried a twin and could still potentially have a healthy baby in there that is just not as far along as you thought. Even with your dates being accurate, it could take up to 10 days to implant, making the pregnancy seem not as far along. I would ask for another us in a week to see if the pregnancy has progressed. It is way to early to doom anything. Consider getting second opinion if your doc will not do another us. Please keep us posted.

Lisa
Nursemommy
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Carey » Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:47 pm

I do not want to give you a false since of hope...but I would wait it out and maybe even go for a second opinion it you can. First let me say if you do go for a second opinion I would suggest just makeing an appointment with a completely different OB doctor and not even mentioning the fact that you have already been seen by someone. Act as if it is your very first prenatal appointment. One thing I have found out is that most doctors try to support the other doctors findings out of loyalty to the practice....meaning it is hard to find a doctor who will let you know when another doctor is wrong.... .... ..... I personally have ran into this in the past. Trust me when I say if for no other reason than to be sure they are giving their own medical opinion and not someone elses you should go in with a start from scratch approach. It is easy for anyone...even doctors to unintentionally have their opinions influenced buy something they have read or heard. Example: you read a story in the news paper...it is horrible and filled with all of these quoted "facts" from investigating officials... you discuss the article with friends and everyone is sure the right person has been accused of the crime.....some time passes and you actually meet the accused person or someone who knows the accused person and you hear their side....they may even have proof that they can show you that they could not have possibly been the guilty person....they can have the best arguement in the world that they are innocent....the courts could have even dropped all charges and charged a new person in the crime....but because of what you heard or read it will always be in the back of your mind...what if? If you had to give your professional opinion after all of this.....do you see where your opinion might or could be altered a little? I probably didn't have to type so much but I wanted to make sure what I was trying to say could be understood. One of my biggest faults is I tend to explain to much at times.... :biggrin:

Now as for what your doctor said....I really think it is to soon for you or your doctor to jump to any conclusions. One: because it is VERY common not to get a HB right away. In fact I have a friend who was 10 or 11 weeks before she got a HB on her baby and she just found out that she is having a boy ( same pregnancy ). And there are several ladies on here who have had the same thing happen. Two: at 6 weeks you should not expect to see a whole lot....the fact that on the bigger machine they were able to see a yolk sac and pole is a really good sign. I had an u/s at 5 weeks 3 days with the baby I am pregnant with now....you can feel free to look at it and compare what you saw to mine if you like. You can see it on my website: www.freewebs.com/careywalton/ there are also other pic's and u/s to look at to. The 5 weeks 3 day u/s is on my "BFP" page. And three: because your levels are pretty high and there are a lot of reasons why they may not be doubling now. Numbers that don't double but are still rising are not always an indication of something bad happening. It could be so many things....for example....our HCG level doesn't rise at all until our little babies start to implant and the more they burrow in the more our levels rise. It takes weeks for them to finish getting all nice and cozy in there. Your baby might have been working over time and is just taking a little break...I hear implantation is hard work for such little guys. Another thing that could be happening ( not as nice to think about ) is....maybe you had twins and are experiencing vanishing twin or lossing one of them but not both. This would definately cause your numbers to slow down some.....maybe even drop some....your body would not need as much hormone to support a single baby pregnancy. There have been women who have had a miscarriage and then went to have there numbers checked just to be safe only to find out the numbers are rising again...at a closer look the doctor finds that there is still a baby dispite the fact that everyone is sure a miscarriage happened. In fact I have friend....her daughter is 9 months pregnant....her daughter got pregnant and had a miscarriage. She even saved what came out and took it to the hospital with her.....they were SURE it was over. They did feel she needed a D&C and so she went home with orders to follow up with her doctor. Well when she followed up with her doctor he checked her levels and they were going down just as expected. Well a few weeks later she was feeling even more PG then she had felt before she had her loss so she made an appointment to be seen and found out she was pregnant. Her due date is only 3 days different than the date she had with the baby she lost. Her doctor told her that he thinks that she had twins and lost one because it is the only way to explain how her due dates are so close together based on the u/s ( not LMP ). She hasn't had any more problems since then....I talked to her mom about a week ago and she still ahd not had her baby....I am pretty sure Noma ( her Mom ) would have called me if she had her baby so that means she is now a couple of days over due. Her due date was the 11th of this month.

Well you are probably tired of reading...I hope I helped some. You will be in my prayers.

:heart: Carey
Carey
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Lark » Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:37 pm

I agree with the other ladies. 6 wks is just too early to dx a m/c, period. And spotting in early pg is very, very common. Your dr is really jumping the gun here. That doesn't mean you won't m/c. There are never any guarantees. But you have every reason to believe that you have a healthy pg at this point. Good luck and God bless!

Lark
Lark

Postby Tara » Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:48 pm

Ladies, thank you very much. Yesterday at this time, I had given up all hope. Now, I am revived and refreshed! The doctor did say if there was no m/c in a week, then he would check my hormone levels again before actually ordering the D & C. So I guess everything depends on that hormone level! I have a question...if I did have a twin that didn't make it, will my levels drop because there are no longer two babies in there? Another question, does insurance generally pay for a second opinion? I was asking around our neighborhood, and there is a lady here that is pregnant right now who didn't find a heartbeat for 4 months. This message board is wonderful, as well as all of you. Thanks for the support and honest advice. I guess what I will do is just hope, pray and see what happens. You all are in my prayers as well!

Thanks again!

Tara
Tara
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Lark » Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:42 pm

Tara,

Most ins companies will pay for second opinions. You can call them and find out. Scheduling an appt for around 8 wks would probably give you a better idea of what's going on. But even then, keep in mind that, like your neighbor, there are so many stories of babies 'found' after drs had given up. That's one of the main reasons we advise natural m/c's here, just on the chance that the dr is wrong. I'm praying for the best for you!

God bless

Lark
Lark

Postby Kay » Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:55 am

Tara, call your insurance and find out. You really are a bit early to say with certainty this is a miscarriage. Seems as if hcg levels slow down, plateau or even decline briefly with the loss of a twin and then they start going back up. I don't know if this is the case with you but hopefully you'll have more answers in a week or two.

(((hugs)))
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

UPDATE

Postby Tara » Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:47 am

UPDATE!! Yesterday I called the doctor, because I have been waiting for a week for a supposed miscarriage, and nothing has happened. I told them that I could not take this any more. They told me to come in and we would check my HCG levels again, and then go from there. Well, I live in a very remote area, about 4 hours from the doctor's office (kinda scary, huh?), so I got a substitute (I am a teacher) and drove like crazy to make my dr's appt. They took my hormone levels and then said they would call me with the results...I told them that I would be in the waiting room until the levels came back (It was 4 o'clock...do you think they would have called back at 4:30 or whenever the results came back?? I didn't, so I decided to wait them out).
Well, about 30 minutes later, they called me back and said they were going to do a sonogram. I said, "So the level went up, right?" The nurse said they did but the dr. wanted to talk to me about it. I kept bugging her because I wanted to know the level.
Last week it was 34,000...then after 24 hours, it was 36,000. Well, she finally told me that it was 80,000, but the dr was concerned. The dr came in and said that he didn't think 80,000 was enough, because usually hcg levels double in 48 hours, and it has taken my body a week for it to double...he said that he thought some placental tissue was still alive and that is why my body was producing more hcg. Well, he started the sonogram, and WAS SHOCKED!! He said, "And, it looks good. I don't believe this--there is the fetus, and there is the heartbeat!!!!!!!!!!" He said that he could not believe it, and that he had never had a case like this. Then he said that he thought there was a twin that didn't make it.
This website is definitely a Godsend. Thank you so much for your thoughts and prayers. With out you ladies I couldn't have made it through last week.
I am so excited. I really am going to have a baby afterall! :bananas:
:heart:
Tara
Tara
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Nursemommy » Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:43 am

I am so happy for you, Tara! You definitely belong on the misdiagnosed miscarriage board! Praise God!

:bananas: :cheer: :cheer: :bananas:

Lisa
Nursemommy
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Carey » Fri Oct 21, 2005 5:03 pm

:cheer: :bananas: :jive: :yay: That is an AWESOME update! I am so happy for you! I will be praying for a continued healthy pregancy! Now that you got good news don't go disapearing on us.....I can't wait to see you get big and preggers....or even better when the baby gets here we can see pic's of him/ her!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOO-HOOOOOOOOO!Congrats to you. Please keep us updated.

Carey
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Lark » Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:45 pm

Oh, Tara, that's wonderful! I'm very concerned about this dr you are seeing, though. He doomed this pg too quickly from the outset, then gave you false info about the hcg's doubling. After 6,000, hcg's double every 72 to 96 hrs, and after 12,000 (I think that's the #, but you can check the Reading Room here for hcg doubling times to make sure) it doubles in >96 hrs. Your hcg's going up from 36,000 to 80,000 in a wk is perfectly normal, and any dr should know that very basic fact. Is there another dr, preferably closer to you, that you could switch to? I'd be very reluctant to put the care of myself and my child in the hands of a dr who has already made two unacceptable and potentially dangerous mistakes. Anyway, congrats and good luck!

God bless

Lark
Last edited by Lark on Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lark

Postby Kay » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:22 pm

Oh Tara, Tara, Tara...first of all, let me say CONGRATULATIONS. I am just tired tonight I guess but you have me crying. YAY!!!

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Okay, now secondly, if you are driving four hours to see a doctor, you, my friend, need a competant doctor. Where in the world did this doctor get his medical degree? Maybe it is because we see so many miscarriages and possible miscarriages here but everybody here had hope for you and your doctor should have allowed you to have that hope.

Okay, done lecturing :smile:

I am thrilled and copying this thread to the 'Misdiagnosed Stories' forum because you truly have a wonderful story. Please keep us updated on you and your precious little one.

God bless.
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Postby mommy_hopefully » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:57 pm

Tara,
That is so awesome. :cheer: CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU :cheer:
Laura
mommy_hopefully
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby mandy71480 » Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:31 am

Stories like these just go to show that not even the bloodwork can be accurate!
mandy71480
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby aussiegirl » Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:18 am

What an awesome story!!!

You know, all this stuff about hcg levels, they become less and less accurate as the pregnancy progresses.

I'm so glad you stuck it out and waited for the results!! And you got him to give you an ultrasound. That is inspirational.

Good luck with your pregnancy. Here's a happy, healthy, non-eventful 9 months!!!! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:
me-32 dh-39
Luciano Luis born Feb 25th, 2008
Gianluca McGregor born May 7th, 2006
miscarriage at 12 weeks, Dec/04
aussiegirl
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Tara » Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:03 pm

Ladies, thank you for all of your wonderful replies! I am still so excited~I just can't believe it! Well, now I am worried about my Dr. I know that he is relatively new to the area, but he went to Vanderbilt (I don't know, but that sounds like a good place to become a DR). Also, he shares a clinic with some of the best drs in the area (does this mean they are a team or do they just share office space?). I was really impressed with his caring attitude, and his thoroughness (he did 4 sonograms!) My next drs appt is 11/11. He said he plans to do another sonogram just to make sure everything is normal. I do want to tell him that I read that HCG levels were not supposed to double after 6,000, just to see what he says! As far as a closer doctor...there are some 15 minutes closer to us on the west side of the area (Odessa--if any of you are familiar with the Midland/Odessa area. They are small cities in west Texas with about 100,000 people each in them, but they service all of West Texas, so they have the amminities of a larger city) but what is 15 minutes when you already have to drive 3 hours and 45 minutes? My husband's career puts us in the desolate location we are in, and if there is an extreme emergency, the closest small hospital is 90 miles away, which sounds like forever I know, but it is better than 4 hours. The good news is my in-laws live in the city where I will deliver (Midland), so I will stay with them toward the end of my pregnancy. Well, ladies, do you think I should give the doctor another chance or not? Surely he can't mess anything else up~~maybe he has never had a case like this?!?!?!? I know he will be thorough and not hasty...he could have just ordered a D & C right then the other day, and not waited for a week.
Tara
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Carey » Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:23 pm

I think 4 hours is a long drive.....but like you said if your only other choice only saves you 15 minutes then it really doesn't help much. I think it is really good that you have family near a hospital so that you can stay with them when it gets closer to time. 90 miles is still a long way to go in an emergency....I will pray that God keeps you healthy and safe. As far as switching doctors.....really you are the one who has to be comfortable with the doctor. Do you feel like you can trust him enough to put both your life and your babies life in his hands? I mean...he made a bad call....and jumped the gun on this one...... ..... ....but no matter where he went to school he is still human. Humans make mistakes....you have to decide where you stand now. Can you afford for him to make another mistake? Do you think this time was a fluke? Does he seem like he knows his stuff? How does he present himself? Talk to people who have already used him....did they have a good experience? How is his over all reputation? Check out his past....any lawsuits ect. Any claims against him? Another thing that you can do to that may help....I know he is already your doctor and all but you could interview him....you know see what he is made of. I am sure all of us here could help you think of some questions to write down and ask at your next appointment. you know ...like .....hey Doc what would you do if .....this happened....tyoe of questions. Doc...how would you handle this situatation? See if you like what you hear. It is kind of like dateing....only other then a bad time and possibly a broken heart in the end, the stakes are much higher. I have interviewed my current doctor a couple of times....I have had my share of lemons...or throw backs....or just bad doctors....I want to be absolutely sure my doctor can handle anything....because this baby combined with my body could throw any situation in his lap on any given day. So far he has answered my questions right. If you decide to interview yours let us know and we can help you with questions to ask.

Carey
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby MattysMomma » Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:42 pm

Yay!!!! :yay: I love reading the misdiagnosed stories. It gives hope to everyone that comes here. (If I wasn't at work, I'd prolly cry!) Brightest Blessings!

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
[cdown=06/11/2005]our Little One said Goodbye :cry: [/cdown]
MattysMomma
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby momof741 » Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:47 pm

I'm so sorry!!.....i cannot even get a doctor to tell me i miscarried...and my hcg levels where the same after 3 days.....but maybe because it was the ER...so don't give up hope!!!!!!! :pray:
momof741
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby msweise » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:28 pm

I have my second ultrasound tommorow....my story is similar to yours. HCG went from 14000 to 22000 to 35000 48 hours apart at approx 4w 3 days, 4 weeks 5 days, and 5 weeks 1 day. He didn't order any HCG tests since that last one. Doctor said they weren't doubling properly and a 5 week 1 day ultrasound showed a yoke sack. I ended up being diagnosed with a missed miscarriage because he said there wasn't anything in there.
I am so happy for you....I hope it turns out the same for me! I will know tommorow.:)
msweise
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child
Next

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories