Misdiagnosis story to tell...

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

Misdiagnosis story to tell...

Postby hate2wait » Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:44 pm

I just thought I should post here as some of the other members encouraged me to after hearing my story. So, I will try to keep it short and sweet.

According to my LMP I should be 10+ weeks pregnant right now, but I am not...I am 7 1/2 weeks along and that is where the problems started. See, when the doctors schedule your first appointment they do so off of your LMP, so, according to this when I went in for my first appointment I was suppose to be 8 weeks pregnant. They did an ultrasound and all they could see was a sac dating 5 1/2 weeks and a yolk sac. My doctor started asking me if I was sure on my dates and I was! BUT, I ovulate late and it's like they don't even take that into consideration. So, she started telling me that I probably had a blighted ovum and would miscarry soon but to go ahead and have some blood work done to see what my numbers looked like. She even spoke of a D&C and the "miscarry pill." The blood tests came back normal and they were consistant with what showed up on ultrasound, so she told me to wait two weeks and come in for another US. I did just that this last Tuesday and sure enough the baby measured 7 1/2 weeks and it's little heart was beating a mile a minute. The doctor said "Oh, we have good news, there is a baby and a heartbeat!" :bananas: So, to all of you out there don't loose hope. I was devastated at my first appointment and was convinced that I had a blighted ovum. Later I started to trust my gut and realize that I need to think positive. So, whatever you do, don't rush into having procedures done. Let your body guide you and stay positive. There may be a good chance that you have been misdiagnosed as well:pray:
hate2wait
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:01 am

Such wonderful news.

:bananas: :bananas: :bananas:

Congratulations to you. God bless both you and your little one.

Yay :cheer:
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Re: Misdiagnosis story to tell...

Postby Faith and Hope » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:44 pm

Your story has been helpful in restoring my hope after my early ultrasound yesterday morning. I am 39 yrs.old with one healthy 7 year old and a history of an ectopic pregnancy in 2006. We tried for a few years to conceive naturally but finally gave up hope and said this is God's plan and that's fine. Needless to say this pregnancy was certainly a surprise. I was elated to see a positive pregnancy test June 18th but called my doctor immediately based on my history. They did two rounds of blood work a week apart saying hcg doubling nicely, progesterone low and put me on suppositories twice a day. I went in for my early u/s yesterday which was supposed to show me at 7 weeks along according to my LMP but the u/s showed me measuring at only 4 weeks with a gestational sac, yolk sac but no fetal pole. I was devestated to hear and see this but the NP was hopeful. She said my blood levels looked good but u/s was certainly concerning. She said with no bleeding, no pain that we had no other choice but to play the waiting game. This is something I certainly do not do well. While I wait of course my mind is racing with the worst. Why am I measuring 4 weeks when I should be at least 6-7 weeks along? My cycles had always been 28 days to the hour so how could it be possible I ovulated so late this last time around and I'm that far off on my date. I keep trying to remind myself that it's in God's hands and I have no other choice but to be patient and wait the two weeks for my next u/s. It's helpful to hear stories from other women who had similar situations and went on to have healthy pregnancies. I have minimal sickness with this pregnancy but am extremely tired and have a healthy growling stomach during the day. I can only hope that the little surprise inside is waiting to make his/her grand entrance and that all will be well at my next u/s in two weeks. Thank you for all the inspiring stories they have helped me remain hopeful and calm through this difficult time.
Faith and Hope
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories