Moved: my Healthy baby hid until 11 wks!! Only Time can tell

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

Moved: my Healthy baby hid until 11 wks!! Only Time can tell

Postby misdiagnosed » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:30 pm

Originally posted by RagMomma 10/14/2004
---------------------------------------------------

I was diagnosed at the age of 16 with what is now known more commonly as PCOS. Told I would NEVER have children. If I did get pg it would end in a loss. By the age of 23 I was advised to have a complete hysterectomy due to severe endometriosis. I was in a head-on collision the week prior to the schedule surgery and therefore it was postponed. This was divine intervention.

I met and married my dh - I fully disclosed my "issue" and he accepted me despite that.
I chose to opt for Depo as a way to avoid certain miscarriage. After just 3 shots (6 months) I had gained nearly 80lbs. Never facing a weight issue before this was very traumatic for me. I tried to lose it but no matter what I did nothing would come off.

By the spring of 1999, after struggling well over a year to lose the ‘depo’ weight, I began to see a weight loss; 15lbs in one month. I thought I had finally found the right solution. Soon after I felt like I had a bad case of the flu. Great. I have never felt so ill in all my life. Terror struck my heart after a trip to my doctor determined I was pregnant. At this point I was estimated to be 7 weeks and because I was considered a certain spontaneous aborter I was immediately scheduled for an ultrasound to locate the baby. Nothing was found. I returned for three more scans at weekly intervals. By my fourth ultrasound, expected to be over 10 weeks, still nothing was found. Just a black kidney shape showed on the monitor. I was diagnosed with a blighted ovum, meaning my pregnancy didn’t develop. The doctor scheduled an immediate D&C. I didn’t understand how my HCG levels could be increasing if there was no baby. I sat in the waiting room for what seemed like an eternity and I just felt a darkness on me. Something told me to “leave”. So I did, I got up and left before they could perform the D&C. The next few days I couldn’t help but think about the time I spent in highschool as a peer pregnancy counselor. I spent two years setting up the models for each stage of pregnancy. Reflected on the ten-week fetal footprint pin I had. It measured about 3/4 cm.

I kept thinking about the facts. I was not experiencing any signs of loss. My HCG blood tests indicated that I was pregnant. Although the were low and dropping. I later found out that this is NORMAL! HCG levels peak, level off and begin to decline at 8 - 10 weeks lmp.
Just later that week the doctor performed one final ultrasound to “appease” my doubt. Just three days later, and there it was! I saw a little “bean” with a flickering light and I knew that I was looking at a baby and heartbeat.

Only I measured 9 weeks, 2 weeks late. That created more doubt. I asked if the fact that I had a tilted uterus could cause any discrepancy. But they told me that wouldn’t matter. I left that day, still uncertain of the health of the baby. I was told again to expect to miscarry. Obviously, the baby hadn’t implanted and developed the way it should. Or so they said.

After waiting it out 2 more months without any loss, I had another ultrasound and now the baby suddenly ‘caught up’ measuring 20 weeks. The doctor was expecting it to be 18 weeks based on my prior ultrasound, if there even was a live baby. Although that scan agreed with my own dates, I continued each day still waiting to miscarry. It wasn’t until I hit the 7th month mark, another 10wks, that I realized that it looked like this pg was a near possibility. At this point I was feeling consistent baby activity. Those final two months flew. The evening of my 29th birthday I was in labor. Just 6 hours later, the following morning, my perfect dd was born at over 8lbs!!
Based on her size and the breakdown of the placenta, doctors estimated her to be almost two weeks late!! I was not surprised. Although according to that 9-week ultrasound she was early. I soon learned that my tilted uterus did in fact cause the 2-week “behind” distortion. That also explained why the baby caught up by the 20-week ultrasound. Simple body mechanics, she weighed enough to drop to the front and therefore be seen more accurately.

I have since experienced 4 losses;
May 2001 at 14 weeks
December 2001 (day after Christmas) at 16 weeks, August 2002 at 10wks.
December 2003 (Sunday before Christmas) at 14 weeks
My losses were all due to low progesterone. Since being diagnosed with PCOS I knew I had low progesterone, but I didn't realize the critical role it plays in oxygenating the baby. I literally suffocated 4 babies. My doctors never told me the reason for my losses until I was in the middle of my 4th and it was too late to treat/save the baby. I was passed the 7 week lmp 'deadline'.
I never had my progesterone level checked along with my HCG levels. It is not standard procedure, but how else do you know unless you have the lab check?
It is imperative that progesterone levels are checked simultaneous to the initial blood test to confirm pregnancy. As of today, Oct 14th, I am currently completing my 36th week of another successful pregnancy because I stayed proactive in addressing these concerns.

This board was created to educate and reassure others facing similar news. We are here to provide support and encouragement as well as education regarding more accurate signs of loss.

We would simply like to provide a forum where we could share our experiences regarding the high rate of misdiagnosed miscarriages and potentially prevent others moms from losing hope too soon and making a premature decision.

All the best
Kelly
misdiagnosed
Administrator
Administrator

Postby ragmom » Wed May 18, 2005 4:49 pm

well, I am back to help any way I can to offer support or encourage further education....
I've been a bit distracted with my newest miracle, now 6 months old and as bright as can be! :cheer:

Just broke her first tooth yesterday May 17th....working on her next as I type :joytears:

I have posted new photos at the old site.....
http://groups.msn.com/TheMisdiagnosedMi ... nosed.msnw

wasn't able to upload directly here but I'll try again....

Kelly :heart:
ragmom
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Wed May 18, 2005 5:04 pm

Kelly, how wonderful to have you back. You've been missed.

I cannot believe how big your two girls are gettings. Seems like you just had your baby last week and now look at her. Thank you for sharing the pictures.

If you have problems uploading photos, let me know and we'll try to fix that for you.

Kay :heart:
Kay

Re: Moved: my Healthy baby hid until 11 wks!! Only Time can

Postby AshleyAE » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:37 pm

misdiagnosed wrote:Originally posted by RagMomma 10/14/2004
---------------------------------------------------

I was diagnosed at the age of 16 with what is now known more commonly as PCOS. Told I would NEVER have children. If I did get pg it would end in a loss. By the age of 23 I was advised to have a complete hysterectomy due to severe endometriosis. I was in a head-on collision the week prior to the schedule surgery and therefore it was postponed. This was divine intervention.

I met and married my dh - I fully disclosed my "issue" and he accepted me despite that.
I chose to opt for Depo as a way to avoid certain miscarriage. After just 3 shots (6 months) I had gained nearly 80lbs. Never facing a weight issue before this was very traumatic for me. I tried to lose it but no matter what I did nothing would come off.

By the spring of 1999, after struggling well over a year to lose the ‘depo’ weight, I began to see a weight loss; 15lbs in one month. I thought I had finally found the right solution. Soon after I felt like I had a bad case of the flu. Great. I have never felt so ill in all my life. Terror struck my heart after a trip to my doctor determined I was pregnant. At this point I was estimated to be 7 weeks and because I was considered a certain spontaneous aborter I was immediately scheduled for an ultrasound to locate the baby. Nothing was found. I returned for three more scans at weekly intervals. By my fourth ultrasound, expected to be over 10 weeks, still nothing was found. Just a black kidney shape showed on the monitor. I was diagnosed with a blighted ovum, meaning my pregnancy didn’t develop. The doctor scheduled an immediate D&C. I didn’t understand how my HCG levels could be increasing if there was no baby. I sat in the waiting room for what seemed like an eternity and I just felt a darkness on me. Something told me to “leave”. So I did, I got up and left before they could perform the D&C. The next few days I couldn’t help but think about the time I spent in highschool as a peer pregnancy counselor. I spent two years setting up the models for each stage of pregnancy. Reflected on the ten-week fetal footprint pin I had. It measured about 3/4 cm.

I kept thinking about the facts. I was not experiencing any signs of loss. My HCG blood tests indicated that I was pregnant. Although the were low and dropping. I later found out that this is NORMAL! HCG levels peak, level off and begin to decline at 8 - 10 weeks lmp.
Just later that week the doctor performed one final ultrasound to “appease” my doubt. Just three days later, and there it was! I saw a little “bean” with a flickering light and I knew that I was looking at a baby and heartbeat.

Only I measured 9 weeks, 2 weeks late. That created more doubt. I asked if the fact that I had a tilted uterus could cause any discrepancy. But they told me that wouldn’t matter. I left that day, still uncertain of the health of the baby. I was told again to expect to miscarry. Obviously, the baby hadn’t implanted and developed the way it should. Or so they said.

After waiting it out 2 more months without any loss, I had another ultrasound and now the baby suddenly ‘caught up’ measuring 20 weeks. The doctor was expecting it to be 18 weeks based on my prior ultrasound, if there even was a live baby. Although that scan agreed with my own dates, I continued each day still waiting to miscarry. It wasn’t until I hit the 7th month mark, another 10wks, that I realized that it looked like this pg was a near possibility. At this point I was feeling consistent baby activity. Those final two months flew. The evening of my 29th birthday I was in labor. Just 6 hours later, the following morning, my perfect dd was born at over 8lbs!!
Based on her size and the breakdown of the placenta, doctors estimated her to be almost two weeks late!! I was not surprised. Although according to that 9-week ultrasound she was early. I soon learned that my tilted uterus did in fact cause the 2-week “behind” distortion. That also explained why the baby caught up by the 20-week ultrasound. Simple body mechanics, she weighed enough to drop to the front and therefore be seen more accurately.

I have since experienced 4 losses;
May 2001 at 14 weeks
December 2001 (day after Christmas) at 16 weeks, August 2002 at 10wks.
December 2003 (Sunday before Christmas) at 14 weeks
My losses were all due to low progesterone. Since being diagnosed with PCOS I knew I had low progesterone, but I didn't realize the critical role it plays in oxygenating the baby. I literally suffocated 4 babies. My doctors never told me the reason for my losses until I was in the middle of my 4th and it was too late to treat/save the baby. I was passed the 7 week lmp 'deadline'.
I never had my progesterone level checked along with my HCG levels. It is not standard procedure, but how else do you know unless you have the lab check?
It is imperative that progesterone levels are checked simultaneous to the initial blood test to confirm pregnancy. As of today, Oct 14th, I am currently completing my 36th week of another successful pregnancy because I stayed proactive in addressing these concerns.

This board was created to educate and reassure others facing similar news. We are here to provide support and encouragement as well as education regarding more accurate signs of loss.

We would simply like to provide a forum where we could share our experiences regarding the high rate of misdiagnosed miscarriages and potentially prevent others moms from losing hope too soon and making a premature decision.

All the best
Kelly

It's amazing that it took until week 20 for the doctors to agree that your baby was healthy and fine. I think you're right about progesterone levels needing to be checked as part of standard procedure. Even if doctors have no hope for a pregnancy, what's the harm in letting a woman take the progesterone if she's low on it?
AshleyAE
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby sahm1982 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:56 pm

I know this is an older post but I just wanted to say THANK YOU. Thank you for the hope that his has given me, its all I got right now. I should be 8weeks 4 days, and the sono showed nothing! Not even a sac?! I have been devistated all day, I feel like a zombie. I also have a tilted uterus and this has given me what I need to get through they next couple of days.
sahm1982
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Notsure1 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:50 am

I agree, this is a little late but thanks, it is a brush of fresh air to hear that everything turned out great. I have my hope and trust in God that I am going to have a healthy baby even if they can't see it right now. My body tells me all I need to know right now. Thanks for your story, to God be the glory!
Keeping the faith!
Notsure1
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Nicksmommystacy » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:50 pm

thank you Ragmomma,

I"m patiently ???? waiting for my hcg levels tomorrow and then again on Friday to see if this pregnancy viable. I'm 8wks by date, but only seeing a sac measuring 4 weeks. I have a very tilted uterus and am now hoping that this is the problem. I might be able to sleep tonight. Thank you!
Nicksmommystacy
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby sweetgrl83 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:02 am

To Nicksmommystacy,

I too have a tilted uterus, just found that out at my last u/s on Tuesday when they also told me that she could no longer see my baby. I should have been 9w3d but was only measuring 6w5d. I'm freaking out!!! I went to get my hCG levels tested, have to go back tomorrow for the 2nd withdraw and then hopefully know Monday what the results are.
How did everything work out for you?

Patricia
sweetgrl83
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby pinkfacade » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:59 pm

this story always makes me feel like there is hope...and i'm almost certain there is not for me. i am not going to do anything but wait for a natural miscarriage but i just keep hoping for a miracle like you received :)

i have a retroverted uterus.....i was measuring 2 weeks behind. no heartbeat or even a fetus.....waiting on a misscarriage. levels dropping slowly. went from 4800 to 4600..
was measuring 7 weeks supposed to be 9. the next week they didnt say what i was measuring but still nothing. there was a change in the ultrasound but no baby visable still. the sac was enlarged. looked doubtfull she said.
pinkfacade
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories