Another story

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

Another story

Postby Elegit » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:29 pm

Well, it happened to me. I got pregnant the first time we tried (with baby number 2.) I took a hpt a day before my period was late, very bright red lines. Saw reg. doctor, who confirmed with a urine test and referred me to the Ob/gyn office I'd used before. I made an appointment to be seen at 8 weeks for initial appmt and ultrasound. At 5 weeks, on a Saturday,I had a sudden, serious cramping incident. Only about 10 minutes, but, like labor pains. When it passed, I had a few swipes of red blood, and a few drops on my underwear. I only had a few swipes of brown blood the rest of the day. Called OB, he said it was too early to check on ultrasound at the hospital, it was most likely a miscarriage, due to my 39+ years (although, to be fair, he said it very nicely, and said it could be Ok, but that the odds were not in my favor.)- had me come in on Monday for ultrasound.

Went in for the ultrasound. The US tech was not too happy, the sac was empty, no fetal pole (now I know from this site that it was very likely too early to see anything!) and the sac was sized at 9 weeks. They had no explanation for that. The doc who was available to see me took blood, and had me come back in two days for more blood. He said it didn't look good, but, sometimes strange things happened. I said, "Oh, you mean there is a chance for this pregnancy (I didn't know about all these stories at the time) and he said, "yes, but a slim one."

My levels were 39,000 and then about 60,000. My OB called and said it was still not looking good. I asked about my retroverted uterous, and he said "no, no, that 's just not true." I told him about so many women on this site. He wasn't buying it. He wanted to see me in 10 days.

Well, today was that visit. Saw and heard heartbeat, baby is exactly right in age to my calculations. I asked about the 9 weeks sac, they said, "forget about it." No answers about the blood and cramping, but, I guess I've learned that that doesn't mean a terrible outcome either.

I have a scar or something in my uterous (they noticed in last time I was pregnant and had an expert look at it)- it's probably from a fibroid I had removed 6 years ago. The tech said it looks like a pocket in my uterous. She suggested that because of my "unusual uterus" that may have been the problem when they looked at 5 weeks.

Well, hope this story helps someone else. This site helped me stay focused on possibility of everything being OK. Elizabeth
Elegit
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:00 am

Wow Elizabeth, what a wonderful story. I am so happy to hear you were misdiagnosed :yay:

A retroverted uterus certainly does make a big difference and we find that measurements are often off during the first trimester until the uterus is pushed back into a more normal position. It certainly explains why your levels were so high before you could see your baby.

Congrats to you and thank you so much for sharing your wonderful story

:yay: :yay: :yay:
:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Postby MABS » Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:44 am

:bananas: :bananas: :bananas: :bananas: :bananas:
Thanks for sharing your story, Elizabeth!! And, congrats to you and you're little one!!
:bananas: :bananas: :bananas: :bananas: :bananas:
MABS
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Ginpop » Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:18 pm

Thank you sooo much for sharing your story - and CONGRATULATIONS.

What is up with these doctors? I think some of them need to come to this site and read how many times they have been WRONG!

Of course, not in my case. But that's besides the point :biggrin:

I hope that you have a safe and healthy pg - enjoy it! And let us know how you and the little one are progressing along!
Gini - 36 with 2 boys Addison 16, Xander 5
m/c at 9 weeks 8/05 , Surprise BFP on 5/31/07! m/c twins on 6/10/07 - one ectopic
Surprise BFP again on 7/31/07!!! OMG!
3/28/08 - Riley Emerson was born (finally)
Ginpop
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Elegit » Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:59 pm

Thanks for all of your kind words. It is soooo exciting. I had such a difficult time waiting and being patient, and it was only a bit over two weeks. I really feel for all the women who keep going back, and don't see their baby until much later. I was truly blessed. I have shared about this website to my friends. I do wish, as someone mentioned, that we could get doctors to look a these stories!! Elizabeth
Elegit
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories