misdiagnosed molar pregnancy

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

misdiagnosed molar pregnancy

Postby allie12345 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:34 pm

Hello Everyone,

I really want to share my story of a misdiagnosed molar pregnancy because I have been absolutely beside myself for the past couple of days and reading other people's stories on this site as well as babycenter has been the only thing that kept me hopeful and (somewhat!) positive.

Based on my LMP, I knew I was about 6 wks 2 days on Friday when I felt a small gush of red blood. I have had one early miscarriage in the past, so I knew what might be happening. Thankfully, the bleeding stopped after that one gush and I put my feet up (as much as possible with a 2 and a 3 year old!) for the rest of the weekend.

On Monday, I had an appointment at the hospital - a follow up on a previous loss (our 2nd loss - a medical termination at 21 weeks). I told the doctor that I thought I was about 6 weeks 5 days pregnant but concerned about the possibility of a miscarriage because of the bleeding. He did an abdominal ultrasound on an old portable machine and said there didn't appear to be anything there, maybe the beginnings of a pregnancy, like 4-5 weeks if anything. He then ordered Hcg beta levels for that day and 2 days later.

After doing my 2nd beta test, I received a call from an intern at the hospital who said that my levels were very high for what was seen on my U/S. 65000, which is high but within the normal range for how long I was according to my dates, but too high if I was in fact only 4-5 weeks along. So, rather than listening to me when I said I knew FOR SURE when the baby was conceived (give or take a couple of days) and that I was AT LEAST 6 weeks pregnant, she told me it looked like it must be a molar pregnancy. I also mentioned that I have a tipped uterus and that I'm not all that far along to be able to see much on an abdominal U/S. STILL, she insisted it was most likely a molar pregnancy. She told me not to eat or drink anything after midnight and to come in at 730 in the morning for blood tests, then proceed to the early pregnancy complications clinic because I would probably need a D&C.

Honestly, reading similar stories on this site was all that got me through the next few hours. I don't think I could have slept a wink without the hope that other people's stories gave me.

So this morning I went to the hospital, had a transvaginal scan in another department of the same hospital and lo and behold, there was my little 7 week embryo, yolk sack, heartbeat, the works! I was so relieved that I burst in to tears. I believed it could be possible because I read other similar stories on this site. Thank you so much for sharing such personal stories and giving me hope. I wish the very best to all of you :)
allie12345
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Re: misdiagnosed molar pregnancy

Postby Kay » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:17 pm

Thank you so much for sharing your story. We've found on the site that when doctors cannot explain the high numbers, they'll just to the molar pregnancy conclusion. A molar pregnancy is very serious but there are generally some definite signs. Without these, women should always consider a second opinion before having the pregnancy ended.

Congratulations
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare: http://www.squidoo.com/misdiagnosedblightedovum
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks: http://www.squidoo.com/firstmisdiagnosedmiscarriage

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages: http://misdiagnosedmiscarriagemusings.blogspot.com/

If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: http://www.squidoo.com/IVFMisdiagnosedMiscarriage

and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest:
http://www.squidoo.com/blighted-ovum-nine-weeks

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Re: misdiagnosed molar pregnancy

Postby gennifar » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:40 am

My Stomach has been very sensitive when its touched, possibly a pregnancy symptom? When someone puts there hand on my stomach it feels like someone is pushing on a sore muscle. Normaly i dont have this problem i can take alot to my stomach but the past 4 days it has just been so senstive. There is a possiblity that i am pregnant but wont know for sure for another week and a half. Could my stomach being so sensitive to touch be a symptom of pregnancy?
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories