Dropped HCG Levels....at 9 weeks..and waiting...

Dropped HCG Levels....at 9 weeks..and waiting...

Postby rmsander2001 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:55 pm

So, my husband and I were very excited on June 6th when we found out that were pregnant once again. We had followed the abstaining for 3 months to have three periods and then we started trying in March and 3 months later we had a positive pregnancy test.

Background:
I had a miscarriage in December of 2010 just before Christmas. It was miserable over the holiday season. However, at that time my stress was very high with work, I wasn't eating properly. I had received a flu shot before I knew I was pregant. At that time it was very early in my pregnacy 51/2 weeks or so. I started spotting and then it went to heavy bleeding with pink fresh blood, I passed tissue and within 5 days and bedrest the horror was over. The day before I passed the tissue, I knew that I was no longer pregnant because I had lost all my symptoms. I no longer had nausea, sore breasts, and food tasted absolutely delicious.

Current Situation:
My LMP was May 6, 2011. This pregnancy has been much different. I have had a ridiculous amount of nausea and vomiting. Some days I was unable to hold any food down at all. I have read that this can be a good sign of the body accepting the pregnancy, and I didn't have this degree of morning sickness with my first pregnancy. On July 5th, I woke up and when I went to the bathroom in the morning I wiped and had dark brown discharge very minimal. I wasn't panicking because in my last pregancy when I initially phoned my doctor office I was told that spotting can be normal and not to worry unless it is dark red, cramping, and you need to use a pad. So, this time I didn't want to stress and worry as this isn't good for the prengnancy. I had to get blood work that day, and I did a little reading as to what could cause this, and I decided to monitor it because I knew that if it was in fact a miscarriage in process that there is nothing that I could do to stop it. Once I phoned the doctor, she recommended monitoring my HCG blood levels, and this was what happened last time. So, on July 6th, 2011 I went and they measured 54641, which is in the nomral range for an 8 week pregnancy. I was directed to go again on Monday July 11th. I found out late yesterday before the office closed that my HCG levels had dropped to 33233. Since it is summer time there were a lot of temps last Wednesday at the lab, and possibly even some yesterday. The doctor told me that the drop in HCG levels is not a good sign, and she said that it looks like I am having a miscarriage even though I have not had heavy bleeding. She is concerned that I haven't passed any tissue. So, she directed me now to have my HCG monitored until zero. I have an Ultrasound next week, and they put in an urgent request to see a OBYN in case I need a D&C. The doctor said she can exactly rule out a miscarrage because there is a possiblity of a lab error.

I don't know what to think now, as I have read here in this forum that one person had HCG levels drop and a viable healthy pregnancy. The difficult part that is preventing me from believing that I am having a miscarriage is the fact that I am still feeling pregnant. Since I woke up this morning I have had nausea and I have vomited twice. My breasts are still really swollen, and I still have a yucky taste in my mouth. Last time, soon as the bleeding started these symptoms went away. I had minor discharge this morning the least amount since this all happened a week ago, and since I have been nauseated and vomitting...I have had no spotting.

My next blood test is Friday. So, my darling husband has been doing everything he can to distract me from focussing on this wait...We were going to have a special day together, but didn't do much because of my vomitting.
rmsander2001
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Re: Dropped HCG Levels....at 9 weeks..and waiting...

Postby rmsander2001 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:18 am

Update:
I know it has been helpful whether it is the news you want to read or not but to provide a follow up for what is happening! Especially if any of you are going through a similar situation. I had my blood test and my HCG levels have dropped once again to 28230, since my last test on Monday. I still have really bad nausea, but my breasts have become less swollen and tender! I have cold feet now, which was never the case when i had all those hormones raging through me. I do get dizzy if i do too much for exsmple if i do too much physical housework! So, i am still taking it easy! I had a vomitting spell but i dont know how much of this might be a little emotional?

I am starting to feel bloated and crampy like just before my period. My spotting has returned and it is starting to become more red and increase in amount! I havent needed a pad yet! But, i feel like this will be necessary soon! My ultrasound is Wednesday, so i hope to get more information around what happened.
rmsander2001
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby micah » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:12 am

will we pray for you... we just went through a miscarriage in May. In fact the last two May's have been the worst months for us. We made it to 8 weeks, but I never had quite the symptoms that you've had. We've also heard the more sick you feel, the better chances too, so that's working in your favor. :)
micah
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby rmsander2001 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:33 am

Well, I go for my ultrasound tomorrow! This appointment will give my husband and I the definitive answer we have been waiting for! I am very scared!
rmsander2001
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby rmsander2001 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:01 am

Well, I went for my US today. According to my LMP I am suppose to be 10 weeks and 5 days. It was very difficult when the technician turned on the sound for the ultrasound, and no heart beat was heard. There was no Yolk Sac seen. The crown rump measured 20 mm which is the gestational age of 8w and 3d, which was exactly the date when I first experienced the spotting. The radiologist comments are an irregular gestational sac.

These results were immediately sent to my family physician. I called her today with my concerns of the bloating, and back pain. There are also momments when I get the shakes and chills. She has recommended that I go to the ER tomorrow morning for a D&C. She has given me all the paper work to take the ER. The OBGYN that I saw a few years ago is on call tomorrow, and she is excellent. So, I feel like this is the best option.

I am a teacher right now on summer holidays, and have lots of time to rest and heal. If I keep waiting my concern is infection, and the risk of being very ill and weak when it is time to go back to work.
rmsander2001
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby rmsander2001 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:17 pm

I was in the ER from 7:45am and had the D&C at 6pm. I am happy that i went to the ER because my cervix was starting to have some infection because the miscarriage wasnt happening naturally! I had one of the best obgyn surgeons in my area and so i have very minor bleeding and some slight abdominal pain! But i feel so much better! Being in limbo since July 4th (3weeks) has had its emotional toll! I look and feel so much better inside and out! And look forward to trying again in 3 months!
rmsander2001
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby rmsander2001 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:33 am

It has been two days since my surgery! I am feeling so much better! Very minor bleeding today and pain. However, the last two days were much worse! Yesterday in particular as there was the most bleeding that day and i had some tissue come out also!

My physical stamina for walks is low! And had a big nap after the walk and afternoon at beach!

But emotionally feeling much better, as there is closure.
rmsander2001
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby rmsander2001 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:01 pm

I have now had two periods since the D&C. We will wait for one more b4 we start trying! The doctor advised us to do this! I am feeling much better! Emotionally and physically as life must go on, as difficult as it will be!
rmsander2001
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Possible Miscarriage - HCG Related Issues