Had D&C, later found out baby had been viable by Alddb

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

Had D&C, later found out baby had been viable by Alddb

Postby misdiagnosed » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:03 pm

Originally posted by alddb 11/13/2004
--------------------------------------------

Hi. I was pregnant with my third child this past March. A planned pregnancy with my two girls older and my husband finally getting a good job. We wanted one more. I get sick with my prgnancies, so sick I need iv fluid as even water comes up. been like this for every pregnancy. I started to see the dr at 5 weeks when fluid theapy soon began, they also had me get a ultrasound because I had mild cramping and they wanted to make sure everything was going ok. My blood was drawn for hcg. My blood work came back not quite doubling. drs began monitoring me. The first ultrasound showed a yolk sac as so did the second a week later. the dr at this point told my husband and i it was a blighted ovum. the following week i went in again and saw a fetal pole. drs waited a week only to see no change. i was told i could miscarry that night. my husband and i after speaking thought d and c was the best route with having two children now to worry about. if i bled and nobody was around to help i could be seriously harmed. I had the d and c done at 9 weeks May 21st, 2004. my husband was so upset, he cried himself to sleep for about a month repeatedly saying no more kids. he blamed himself and said he could not go threw this again. two weeks later i had my post op and wanted to know the results of the testing to see why we lost the baby. i was told there was no baby and that all i had was blood clots and tissue. this bothered me when i saw the ultrasound which showed the baby. i got so upset. i got pregnant once again in august. at first we were worried and found out once again my blood was not doubling and at our first ultrasound we saw a sac but no baby or yolk sac. drs said it did not look good at all. two weeks later we saw the baby with a strong heart beat. i am currently 13 weeks. Back to the miscarriage. it still bothered me alot and on Nov 1st i saw a new dr that just joined the practice. she did not know i miscarried and looked up in my folder to see what happened. she did not know i was told there was no baby. i read it right along with her that clearly stated i had a healthy female baby. i was not as far along as all the drs thought i was. we trusted the dr and got scared when we were told we have no time that i could go on my own at any time. i did not think i had time for a second oppinion. i never bled. i did have mild cramping but they say that is because my uterous is enlarging. i was misdiagnosed and then lied too. the drs to me preformed a abortion. well that is my story.[/b]
misdiagnosed
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mellisa » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

WOW!!! I am utterly speechless.
~ PCOS & Incompetent Cervix
~ 4 miscarriages - 4w3d, 9w5d, 10w5d, 10w6d
~ Hannah Grace - born to soon @ 23wks. Shared 30 glorious minutes of life before leaving us. Incompetent Cervix
Mellisa
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Re: Had D&C, later found out baby had been viable by Ald

Postby AshleyAE » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:54 pm

misdiagnosed wrote:Originally posted by alddb 11/13/2004
--------------------------------------------

Hi. I was pregnant with my third child this past March. A planned pregnancy with my two girls older and my husband finally getting a good job. We wanted one more. I get sick with my prgnancies, so sick I need iv fluid as even water comes up. been like this for every pregnancy. I started to see the dr at 5 weeks when fluid theapy soon began, they also had me get a ultrasound because I had mild cramping and they wanted to make sure everything was going ok. My blood was drawn for hcg. My blood work came back not quite doubling. drs began monitoring me. The first ultrasound showed a yolk sac as so did the second a week later. the dr at this point told my husband and i it was a blighted ovum. the following week i went in again and saw a fetal pole. drs waited a week only to see no change. i was told i could miscarry that night. my husband and i after speaking thought d and c was the best route with having two children now to worry about. if i bled and nobody was around to help i could be seriously harmed. I had the d and c done at 9 weeks May 21st, 2004. my husband was so upset, he cried himself to sleep for about a month repeatedly saying no more kids. he blamed himself and said he could not go threw this again. two weeks later i had my post op and wanted to know the results of the testing to see why we lost the baby. i was told there was no baby and that all i had was blood clots and tissue. this bothered me when i saw the ultrasound which showed the baby. i got so upset. i got pregnant once again in august. at first we were worried and found out once again my blood was not doubling and at our first ultrasound we saw a sac but no baby or yolk sac. drs said it did not look good at all. two weeks later we saw the baby with a strong heart beat. i am currently 13 weeks. Back to the miscarriage. it still bothered me alot and on Nov 1st i saw a new dr that just joined the practice. she did not know i miscarried and looked up in my folder to see what happened. she did not know i was told there was no baby. i read it right along with her that clearly stated i had a healthy female baby. i was not as far along as all the drs thought i was. we trusted the dr and got scared when we were told we have no time that i could go on my own at any time. i did not think i had time for a second oppinion. i never bled. i did have mild cramping but they say that is because my uterous is enlarging. i was misdiagnosed and then lied too. the drs to me preformed a abortion. well that is my story.[/b]

I'm so sorry his happened to you! I wonder how many babies are aborted due to doctor's carelessness. They probably lied to you for fear of being sued.
AshleyAE
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby abcmom » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:14 am

I have a similar story...gave birth to a healthy baby girl in Dec. 08..had irregular bleeding/spotting until March 09 when I had an IUD placed...continued spotting (7months total) so I went to dr who checked me out and said I needed a D&C and removal of IUD. I scheduled the surgery and went for pre-ops the next day..nurse took blood but didn't test for pregnancy cuz it was too soon (surgery was in another 5 days). So, I have the D&C, and all is well....go for my follow up appt. and discuss birth control options, etc, so as we are about to leave, doc says let me go get your pathology report...he comes back w/a puzzled look and tells me "You were pregnant"...my husband and I were SHOCKED!! How?? I was on the IUD??! Dr didn't know, but saw how upset my hubby was and stressed the fact that it wasn't a viable pregnancy...How would they know?? Pathology report only said "products of conception"...I'm confused?!?
abcmom
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Notsure1 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:09 pm

Wow, unbelievable. I can't believe this is happening and has happened to people. I am so sorry! Your stories just confirmed for me, not to put my trust in the Docs. They want me to have a d&C, well the answer is NO. After reading these posts, I refused to have help miscarrying if it's going to happen it has to do it on it's on. I'm listening to my gut.
Keeping the faith!
Notsure1
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories