My "blighted ovum" is almost here!

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

My "blighted ovum" is almost here!

Postby grapey1969 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:25 pm

Hi there! =o)

I had every intention of posting my story much earlier than now, but time has managed to slip through my fingers.

I found this website through Kay (thank you!) and she encouraged me to share my story since there seems to be a lot of us who have received a bleak prognosis on our pregnancy, just to find out it is actually viable.

The Sunday after Thanksgiving, I got my much-anticipated +HPT. Hubby and I were thrilled since we had suffered a M/C earlier in the year. Since my OB had prescribed Clomid for that cycle, I called him the next morning with the good news and he had me come in to check that my HCG levels were rising as they should. Over the next 10 days I had 3 HCG checks, all doubling or almost doubling - everything was looking great!

At what I thought was approximately 4-5 weeks into the pregnancy, I began to spot. Since the memory and heartache of my M/C was still very fresh in my mind, I called my OB and he had me come in for an ultrasound. I was still too early along to see anything definitive, but we could tell the pregnancy wasn't ectopic and it appeared that everything was forming properly. At that point my OB scheduled a regular u/s when we thought I would be approximately 7 weeks along and could hopefully see the embryo and heartbeat.

All had been going quite well - morning sickness even started to set in - so I really wasn't worried that the 2nd u/s would go badly. Once my OB had the u/s wand in place and I saw no movement on the screen, my heart immediately sank. I just couldn't believe this was happening yet again. My OB explained that it appeared I had a blighted ovum and there was no baby in the sac. He scheduled a D&C for a few days later, thinking it might take my body some time to trigger a natural M/C. I reluctantly agreed since I didn't want to keep looking back at what "could've been" and wanted to move ahead to try for another pregnancy.

I spent that entire day in a fog - I just couldn't believe this was happening again, especially since my bloodwork had been SO good and I was feeling more pregnant than ever.

The next day I tried to get back into a somewhat functional state and not dwell on the news from the day before. I don't know if it was my denial over the bad news or if my woman's intuition kicked in, but "something" told me not to give up on this pregnancy. I was still charting my temperature and it was holding steady. My symptoms were increasing in intensity and not diminishing. I wasn't having any spotting at all. I decided I needed to be 110% sure that my OB was right since this was not something where I could turn back. I started searching online for any stories similar to my own, and surely enough, there were more than I thought I'd find! As I read though these all-too-familiar stories, I really began to doubt my OB's diagnosis and decided I would cancel the D&C. At first, I'm sure my OB thought I was just nuts and in complete denial, but he respected my wishes to cancel the procedure and scheduled me for another u/s the following Monday, telling me that waiting wouldn't hurt anything and if nothing else, it would confirm or deny his diagnosis.

I tried my hardest over those next 5 days not to get my hopes up, but I had to let a glimmer of hope creep in; after all, it was just before Christmas, the time for miracles. I never prayed so hard or thought so many positive thoughts in my life!

Hubby and I went into that next u/s appointment prepared for the worst, but hoping to hear and see the best. As excruciating as that one-week wait was, I couldn't have been more happy that I let my patience and intuition prevail, because there was a flickering heartbeat on the u/s screen! I immediately burst into tears and hubby squeezed my hand in excitement and relief. Needless to say, my OB was speechless, very apologetic, and then congratulatory. All he could figure was that implantation of the embryo occurred later than he thought - probably during my first spotting incident - and that he had dated the pregnancy incorrectly. He claimed he had never had "this" happen. Maybe it has and he just never knew it because he was too quick to "resolve" the supposed lost pregnancies. Regardless, we were very happy and just continued to take each day as a blessing, rather than focus on what would've have been a terrible mistake.

My OB kept a close eye on me throughout my first trimester as I had several spotting incidents which were all labeled as flukes and nothing serious. Subsequent u/s's have all yielded great results, and we found out at our 20-week appointment that we've been blessed with a little boy!

My pregnancy has continued at a normal pace, and thankfully, there has been nothing out of the ordinary. We are now in the home stretch - less than 3 weeks to go! - and I'm still in awe over this incredible journey, filled with many twists and turns.

In closing, my advice to any woman who receives similar news is to wait it out. You may find you have more closure if you wait to know 100% that your pregnancy isn't viable, rather than feeling rushed into making a decision you're not comfortable with and then left to wonder "what if." This has been the one time in my life that I am SO glad I listened to my heart and then allowed my instinct to take over - it saved my baby's life!

Good luck to you all. =o)

Sher (aka "grapey1969")
grapey1969
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby TJR » Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:44 pm

:yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:
What a wonderful story!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im glad it turned out so well for you!! Hope you have a speedy and healthy delivery!!!!!!!!!!!
TJR
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby nc0920 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:09 pm

WHEN I WAS READING YOU STORY I FELT GOOSE BUMPS ALL OVER. ALMOST EVERYHTING YOU SAID SOUNDED JUST LIKE ME, EXCEPT HTAT I AM NOT IN THE HOME STRETCH YET! I HAVE HAD TWO PREVIOUS LOSSES AND AM NOW 9 WEEKS ALONG, IN MY OWN POSTING I HAVE EXPLAINED THAT I FEEL SUCH MIXED FEELINGS AND DON'T KNOW HOW TO COPE. I FOUND YOUR STORY VERY REFRESHING AND IT GAVE ME A MORE POSITIVE OUTLOOK
NIC :biggrin:
nc0920
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby grapey1969 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:48 pm

Nic,

I'm glad I could offer you some hope from my story - I just wanted to be able to return the favor since this site is what gave me the strength to stick to my guns and listen to my heart.

I, too, have experienced 2 losses, so when I had received this news, I just couldn't believe it. Even after I got the good news, I couldn't help but feel like I was on pins and needles all through the first trimest - it's really hard to shake those negative thoughts sometimes!

Good luck to you! =o)

Sher
grapey1969
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:44 pm

Oh Sher, I am so very happy you shared your story. When you found your baby, I was on :cloud9: with you and shared your story with the gals at work.

I am just amazed that you are almost due. Seems like you just found your baby a couple months ago. Sniff...I get a bit emotional.

Thanks again for posting and I really hope we get to hear about the birth of this little one

:cheer: :jive: :cheer: :jive: :cheer:

Kay :heart:
Kay

Postby Nichola » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:41 am

my hopeless state has turned to hopeful!!
Nichola
This is my hope and prayer for all who are ttc and with child. Job 33:4 - The Spirit of God has made me; the breath of the Almighty gives me life. ; Psalm 139:13-16
Nichola
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Great!!!!!

Postby heatherhall » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:16 am

This sounds very colse to what I am going through now.. I hope mine turns out as well...
Good luck
God Bless
Heather
Heather
heatherhall
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Re: My "blighted ovum" is almost here!

Postby mrslawrence » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:28 pm

hildren at the momment :)8 but on monday just gone found out im :)O< again thought i was about 7ish week but cant be 100% sure as my period are all over the place .. i did a clear blue test and it came back as pregnant and 3 to 4 weeks so i must have my dates wrong, on the weekend i had a poorly tummy and i noticed i was bleeding lightly but no clots went right to A&E got checked over and internal exam thay said it could be a miscarrige but need a scan to be sure .. the following day went for the scan they said it looks like a blood clot , and they could,nt see anythin .. but every so offtern i feel movement likle twiching only feel this when ive been preggers,
if i was really 4 weeks gone would they evn be able to see a baby , or anything

my last preganay the doctor said i was having an eptopic but they wanted a scan i was only 4 weeks at the time, but thay couldt see anything so they sent me away untill i was 8 week and then they found a heart beat ..

i was woundering if i should go back to my doctor and ask for another scan to be sure :(O or shold i just exept my baby died .. just dont no what to do .. i was spotting for 4days , please help , i have a cut feeling they got it wrong or im just hoping my baby still here :H :H hope to here from some1 with advice soon .. E> E> E>
mrslawrence
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby MamaChrissy » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:39 pm

Your story made me bust out in tears. I am letting my little one have a chance after a sure diagnosis of an unhealthy pregnancy at 6 w 5 d. My doctor didn't even order a test of my hCG and I have high Progesterone levels.

I pray for salvation, peace of mind, and a healthy baby.

God knows what his plan is.... I praise God for your little one who must be about 6 now!

E> God BLESS
MamaChrissy
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby grapey1969 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:13 pm

I had almost forgotten about this forum and my happy ending. :)

Unfortunately, though, my happy ending didn't fully come to be. I had my little boy, Ryan, on August 9, 2005, but he died just 54 hrs. later from several congenital heart defects that had been undetected while he was in utero. It was excruciating for us for a while. :(

Anyway, while it did take us a bit to get pregnant again, we were blessed w/ the first of our heart-healthy girls in May 2008, and then the other in July 2010. So, still happy endings, given our 3 previous losses. E>

After I "saved" the pregnancy my OB wanted to overlook, something completely unexpected intervened and I lost it in the end anyway. But I'll always treasure the 40w2d I had w/ my boy. :)O<
Sherry
~ Mommy to Angels ~
~ Miracle #2 due May 2008 ~
grapey1969
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Mom2mmcjg » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:39 pm

Thank you so much for the update. I'm so sorry for the loss of your son :(O , but I'm so happy for your daughters :)8 . Be blessed
Mom2mmcjg
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:18 pm

Oh Sherry, I missed your update. I am so very sorry. I am glad you had that opportunity to meet your son though...so bittersweet.

Congratulations on your daughters! What a true blessing!
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Postby tryingtohavehope » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:10 pm

Your Story gives me hope. I am 6 Weeks and 1 day alone. Last week I had 2 episodes of very slight spotting. Went to ER Thursday night. Blood work showed my HCG levels to be at 21000. They took me for an ultrasound. They did an abdominal and transvag... both combined lasted less then 2 minutes. About 3 hours later the PA came and told me I had a gestational sac but no yolk sac or fetal pole. I have a f/u with my OB in 2 days. I have been having pregnancy symptoms all along and have had no cramping what so ever.... I am praying very hard that everything is ok.
tryingtohavehope
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby kentif2010 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:14 am

I am not sure what is going on. I am soppose to ge about 6 weeks and 2days pregnant. I went to the doctor at 4 weeks and 2 days my hcg was 39. Later that evening I had some light pink on the tissue when
kentif2010
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby kentif2010 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:25 am

Sorry I didn't finish I had light pink spotting later that evening. I went to the er that morning. Of course its too early to see anything. My hcg levels are only 52. O and my progesterone was 4.4. When I left the er that morning I had told myself I was having another miscarriage. That Saturday I woke up and my breast were sore later that afternoon I had some salt and vinager skins they burned my tounge. I went out and bought a pregnacy test. It said positive. I went to the er and my hcg levels were 143 they had more than doubled in 72 hrs. I had an appt with the high risk dr that tuesday. The dr said do you really think you are pregnant. I said yes. I personally don't think that God would allow me to see that I was still pregnant to have another miscarriage. He did bloodwork. I went back to the dr on Friday my hcg has gone up to 376 my progesterone is only 6.4. However, my doctor is very compassionate and he has prescribe me prometrine. I have to take it vaginally. I go to the dr today which today is Tuesday. I have still had light spotting no real pain. I am very nervous. When I was at church on Sunday my Pastor told me to reach up high and get what I needed from God, MY faith has turned to fear however, I am yet still holding to God's unchanging hands. If all is going well my hcg levels should at least be 3000 or more which means they should see something if all is going well. I am trying with all of my being to stay positive. My husband is very excited we are both over the age of 40. I do have two beautiful daughters that are twins. They are almost 6 years old, I am trusting and believing when I go to the dr today they will have great news and tell me that my pregnancy is going well. It is my belief that I am pregnant with a baby boy. I will come back and let you guys no what happens later this afternoon my appointment is at 2:40p.m today.
kentif2010
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby kentif2010 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:12 am

I got news on yesterday that my dr. wouldn't be in til next week. This was a concern to me since I am such a high risk pregnacy. I am glad that they did find out that I have low progesterone and have put me on prometrium 200mg once a day vaginally. I started this last friday. Even though I didn't get to see the doctor on yesterday. They did ask me to come in and have my hcg levels checked. I also asked for the results on Friday, they went from 373 on Last Tuesday to 758 on last Friday. I will not get my results from yesterday til tomorrow but I am hopeful that they have more than doubled since it has been over 72 hours and I have been told as long as your hcg levels doubles every 72 hours that is a good sign. I believe that God is giving me grace and is showing me mercy and that on tomorrow I will recieve great news, my hcg levels should be well over 2000. I will see the dr on next Tuesday and if all is going as I have faith that it is I am sure they will want to do some type of ultra sound since my levels should at least be over 8,000. I will keep you guys posted. I have had some light spotting only when I wipe from time to time but I have read on my prescription this is normal for taking prometrium. I am also taking one baby aspirin a day so this can cause spotting as well. I am here to say that God is yet still able. Sometimes fear tries to take over but I also must remember the song that keeps ringing in my spirit, that God keeps his promise. I asked God for a son and when I had thought that I had miscarried two weeks ago he allowed me to go to the er that Saturday to find that I was still in fact still pregnant hcg levels doubling not as high as when I had the twins but of course with twins you can expect much higher hcg levels. however, my levels are still doubling every 72 hours. I am yet holding to God's Unchanging Hands and I believe that all is going to go well with this pregnacy I just have to keep praying reading my word and believe that God has given me this wonderful gift. I keep remembering the Sunday that I was at church. I was asked to do devotion and when I prayed the prayer that I prayed was thanking God for the gift that he had placed inside of me. That same Sunday after church I went to the drug store and bought a pregnancy test it came back positive. The night before I prayed for my womb. We serve an Awesome God and I know in my hear that all is going to go well. It isn't going to be easy but my faith is going to constantly be tested and I know that when I return to this site tomorow or the next day I am going to have great news and a testimony out of this world to share. Stay Blessed my Sister' s and know that God loves us all!!!!!
kentif2010
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby kentif2010 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:36 am

I have Great News!!! What an awesome God we serve. I just got my lab results from Tuesday my hcg is at 2199. I go back to the dr on Tuesday afternoon. I should be well over 8,000 by then, I am sure they will probably want to do some type of ultrasound then. I will be 7 weeks 2 days pregnant. I have the faith that we will see something positive. Keep me in your prayers just as I will be praying for you all. God is able to do anything. We just have to hold on and trust in him and believe that all will turn out well. I am going to do my very best not to allow the spotting and break through bleeding scare me since it is one of the side of effects of prometrium. In all honesty it is hard not to be fearful when in the past if I had bleeding that meant a miscarriage. My numbers are doing what they are soppose to be doing. I am excited and scared about Tuesday all at the same time. I know that all is going to turn out well. I just have to keep the faith. Not worry too much and stress and over do it as the nurse instructed. I hope you guys have a wonderful safe and blessed weekend. I will return on Tuesday night to let you all know what happened!!
kentif2010
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby BoysMum » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:05 am

This has me in tears. I am so happy for you!!!!! I am sitting here hoping to be in your shoes too as I have been sent home not knowing what will happen with this pregnancy. Just trying to remain positive and reading your story definitely has me feeling great. Also glad I read this as if a doctor told me to do something I would agree, now I will definitely think and make my own judgement!! Thank you, your story has touched me.
BoysMum
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby kentif2010 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:25 am

Hi there I went to the Dr on yesterday. My doctor asked me did I want an ultrasound. I said yes for some reason I felt a little reluctant. I have a good feeling then the fear kicks in. I am soppose to be 7 weeks and 2 days pregnant that was yesterday. Anyway as the dr was doing the ultrasound. He said I wish I had some good news. My heart didn't sink I was a little confused because you see I believe I am carring a miracle aroud in me. I also heard him tell the med student you see she has a tilted uterus. That was the 2nd time I heard that the first time at the er. Ok I began to wonder what that meant. Anyway when the dr was done. He went and saw my dr. My dr said that at 7 weeks and 2 days and you being in the thousands we should have seen more than what we saw. What they saw was a yoke sack with a speck in it. I believe that speck is my baby. I also believe the miscarriage or the so called miscarriage I had in 2011 could have been off. I can't go back because it was discovered that I have low progesterone and I am on prometrium for it. Anyway, I began researching and researching. O mind you I still had the dr's to do bloodwork so I will get that back on Thursday according to my calculations it should be around 9,000 or so. I also go back next Tuesday on the 3rd for another ultrasound. They did a transvaginal and will do a transvaginal again. My doctor wants me to continue the prometrium and the baby aspirin. I am I still feel pregnant. I read all the differnt stories about how women with a tilted uterus sometimes it is hard to find their baby and the baby looks to be about 2 weeks behind. That being the case I will not give up as I stated before we serve an Awesome God. So my going back next tuesday I am soppose to be 8weeks and 2 days as long as my numbers are doubling I am not giving up. I honestly believe that my story is going to help a lot of other women out there. This is going to be a great testimony and I can't wait to share it. Thanks for sharing this journey with me. Til Thursday stay Blessed and Know that God is Able and he loves us All. Through the storm and the rain, through sickness and pain. For the rest of my life I will serve the Lord forever more. I am holding to God's unchanging Hands reading about HANNNAH And God Gave her her son then and he is going to give me my son now. I have also been reading Psalms 61. You guys just watch this is going to have a wonderful ending!!!
kentif2010
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby ashleighbarbee » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:52 pm

I don't know where to post this but I need help.
I am 5 weeks pregnant. Last night about 11pm, I got out of the shower, and noticed I had started bleeding. At first it was light. And there was not any cramping. I went to the hospital just to be safe. They did a internal ultrasound and they said the baby is high up in my uterus and does not look like it is trying to come out. My hcg levels also came back high, which is great. So I went home. About 4am, I noticed a small (maybe dime sized) clear bubble when I wiped, so I popped it to see what it was, and it seems to have clear fluid in it. Does anyone know what that could have been? I'm hoping it is not the baby. I am still bleeding today and cramping, but I have not had clots. I am worried though. They did tell me that I do have a threatened miscarriage last night.

Please give me something here guys.
Thanks.
ashleighbarbee
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories