Hi there! =o)
I had every intention of posting my story much earlier than now, but time has managed to slip through my fingers.
I found this website through Kay (thank you!) and she encouraged me to share my story since there seems to be a lot of us who have received a bleak prognosis on our pregnancy, just to find out it is actually viable.
The Sunday after Thanksgiving, I got my much-anticipated +HPT. Hubby and I were thrilled since we had suffered a M/C earlier in the year. Since my OB had prescribed Clomid for that cycle, I called him the next morning with the good news and he had me come in to check that my HCG levels were rising as they should. Over the next 10 days I had 3 HCG checks, all doubling or almost doubling - everything was looking great!
At what I thought was approximately 4-5 weeks into the pregnancy, I began to spot. Since the memory and heartache of my M/C was still very fresh in my mind, I called my OB and he had me come in for an ultrasound. I was still too early along to see anything definitive, but we could tell the pregnancy wasn't ectopic and it appeared that everything was forming properly. At that point my OB scheduled a regular u/s when we thought I would be approximately 7 weeks along and could hopefully see the embryo and heartbeat.
All had been going quite well - morning sickness even started to set in - so I really wasn't worried that the 2nd u/s would go badly. Once my OB had the u/s wand in place and I saw no movement on the screen, my heart immediately sank. I just couldn't believe this was happening yet again. My OB explained that it appeared I had a blighted ovum and there was no baby in the sac. He scheduled a D&C for a few days later, thinking it might take my body some time to trigger a natural M/C. I reluctantly agreed since I didn't want to keep looking back at what "could've been" and wanted to move ahead to try for another pregnancy.
I spent that entire day in a fog - I just couldn't believe this was happening again, especially since my bloodwork had been SO good and I was feeling more pregnant than ever.
The next day I tried to get back into a somewhat functional state and not dwell on the news from the day before. I don't know if it was my denial over the bad news or if my woman's intuition kicked in, but "something" told me not to give up on this pregnancy. I was still charting my temperature and it was holding steady. My symptoms were increasing in intensity and not diminishing. I wasn't having any spotting at all. I decided I needed to be 110% sure that my OB was right since this was not something where I could turn back. I started searching online for any stories similar to my own, and surely enough, there were more than I thought I'd find! As I read though these all-too-familiar stories, I really began to doubt my OB's diagnosis and decided I would cancel the D&C. At first, I'm sure my OB thought I was just nuts and in complete denial, but he respected my wishes to cancel the procedure and scheduled me for another u/s the following Monday, telling me that waiting wouldn't hurt anything and if nothing else, it would confirm or deny his diagnosis.
I tried my hardest over those next 5 days not to get my hopes up, but I had to let a glimmer of hope creep in; after all, it was just before Christmas, the time for miracles. I never prayed so hard or thought so many positive thoughts in my life!
Hubby and I went into that next u/s appointment prepared for the worst, but hoping to hear and see the best. As excruciating as that one-week wait was, I couldn't have been more happy that I let my patience and intuition prevail, because there was a flickering heartbeat on the u/s screen! I immediately burst into tears and hubby squeezed my hand in excitement and relief. Needless to say, my OB was speechless, very apologetic, and then congratulatory. All he could figure was that implantation of the embryo occurred later than he thought - probably during my first spotting incident - and that he had dated the pregnancy incorrectly. He claimed he had never had "this" happen. Maybe it has and he just never knew it because he was too quick to "resolve" the supposed lost pregnancies. Regardless, we were very happy and just continued to take each day as a blessing, rather than focus on what would've have been a terrible mistake.
My OB kept a close eye on me throughout my first trimester as I had several spotting incidents which were all labeled as flukes and nothing serious. Subsequent u/s's have all yielded great results, and we found out at our 20-week appointment that we've been blessed with a little boy!
My pregnancy has continued at a normal pace, and thankfully, there has been nothing out of the ordinary. We are now in the home stretch - less than 3 weeks to go! - and I'm still in awe over this incredible journey, filled with many twists and turns.
In closing, my advice to any woman who receives similar news is to wait it out. You may find you have more closure if you wait to know 100% that your pregnancy isn't viable, rather than feeling rushed into making a decision you're not comfortable with and then left to wonder "what if." This has been the one time in my life that I am SO glad I listened to my heart and then allowed my instinct to take over - it saved my baby's life!
Good luck to you all. =o)
Sher (aka "grapey1969")