Misdiagnosed - baby seen at 7w 4d

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

Misdiagnosed - baby seen at 7w 4d

Postby beckyhorton » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:09 am

I felt the need to share my story having poured over countless websites last week in the search for some hope and answers. On 28th May I thought I was 12 weeks pregnant and went for my routine abdominal ultrasound scan, sadly they couldn’t find anything but an empty gestational sac, measuring 19.6mm with no yolk sac and no fetal pole. The sonographer looked at me and said sorry there is no baby there but hospital protocol stated that I needed to be rescanned because the sac was just under their guidelines. (I believe the guideline states by 20mm a yolk sac and fetal pole must be seen otherwise it is a blighted ovum). They wanted me to wait two weeks for a rescan but after spending a miserable few days still feeling sick and with most of my pregnancy symptoms still apparent I called and they scheduled a rescan 7 days later last Friday, 4th June. This time I was given a transvaginal ultrasound and almost immediately I screamed as I could see the baby on the screen. The sonographer confirmed this and there was a baby with a healthy heartbeat, but only measuring 7weeks 4 days. Since the birth of my first son my periods have been very irregular and technically I didn’t actually have a period in April so I found it hard to pinpoint my dates. The sonographer was very annoyed that the week before I hadn’t been given a vaginal scan – had they performed this type of scan they would have been able to see something. I wanted to share my story as this (fingers crossed) does have a happy ending. If you are told you have an empty sac via an abdominal ultrasound and still feel pregnant then please insist on being given a transvaginal scan.
beckyhorton
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Re: Misdiagnosed - baby seen at 7w 4d

Postby LisaL » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:32 am

Congratulations becky! :)

I'm so happy you found your little one. I am sure everything will be fine. Once a heartbeat has been seen chances of anything happening fall dramatically!

:)8 :)8 Great news :)

Lisa
Lisa: DD, m/c 9.5 weeks, DD, m/c 10 weeks, DS

LisaL
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Re: Misdiagnosed - baby seen at 7w 4d

Postby Kay » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:46 pm

So awesome. Wish your hospital would change their guidelines though. I had an ultrasound with the sac measuring 21.5mm and it still looked empty. I am so glad they did not try to push you to end your pregnancy early. So many doctors push for a D&C when the measurements are even smaller than 19mm!

Congratulations. Also remember, babies often look 1 to 2 weeks behind in the first trimester so you may actually be closer to 10 weeks.

Please, keep us updated.
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories