My blighted Ovum.....NOT!!

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

My blighted Ovum.....NOT!!

Postby hmcater » Tue May 11, 2010 3:12 pm

So here is my story.....My LMP was 3/10/2010. I had a positive pregnancy test on 04/13/2010. My hcg level 2 days later was 180. About 9 days later, I started to have some brown spotting, so I went for an u/s and the gestational sac was measuring 5 wks 1 day. Tech said it was too early probably to see much else....so didn't really panic at this point. They drew my blood the day before and my level was 12,000!

Had another scan about 10 days later....gestational sac measuring 6 wks 6 days. But empty...no yolk sac, no baby, nothing. So I knew most people would see something by now....so I of course was crying my eyes out. (not knowing my tilted uterus could get in the way of an u/s, being that I'd neve had one that early!) So doctor told me I should be "pro-active" and schedule a d & c, cause I had a blighted ovum and it would be best to just move on. Well despite what he said, I would have preferred to miscarry naturally.....so I went home. Pretty much the saddest Mothers Day weekend ever for me. :*( Just waiting to start bleeding with every little pain or cramp.

I found this website and your stories truly gave me hope and the will to not give up!

Well yesterday I called them and asked for another u/s to just make me feel better. And there today measuring perfectly at 7 weeks 6 days is our little bean sprout, yolk sac and hb of 169 E> !! Think how awful it would have been if I would have just gone along with him and done the d & c!! My precious baby would not be here!!

I'm thankful to God that he gave me strength and the smarts to NOT listen to my doctor! :)O<

Heather
hmcater
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Re: My blighted Ovum.....NOT!!

Postby caplin37 » Wed May 12, 2010 4:47 pm

Heather, i'm in the same boat. I went to the doctor for an ultrasound last week at 6 weeks 2 days pregnant only to learn my uterus was empty, not even a sac visible. My HCG levels were rising but not sufficiently. I was told my pregnancy was not viable but because they wanted to rule out an ectopic pregnancy they had me come in this week at 7 weeks 2 days. This time there was a very small sac that wasn't there last week measuing 5 weeks 1 day. The doctor still swears my pregnancy is not viable and is recommending I terminate it with either RU486 or a D&C. I told her I wanted to sit with the information a little while before making a decision. She said in her experience situations like mine never turn out to be viable, but this board tells me otherwise. I'm scheduled to go back next week (May 20th) at 8 weeks, 4 days. I will see a different doctor so i'll have a second set of eyes looking at my little sac. I'm prepared to make a decision at that point, but your story gives me hope. I don't think doctors know everything. Good luck to you. Chris
caplin37
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Thu May 13, 2010 6:20 pm

Yay! I am just so happy for you and I am so glad you shared your story. These doctors always act like this could never happen but, as you see, misdiagnosed miscarriages do happen a lot.

I do hope you keep us updated. Women love to read the updates.

Congratulations!!!
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Postby babyuandme » Sat May 15, 2010 2:03 pm

thx for your story. it makes me feel hopeful.

i find it so hard to believe that Drs/techs dont know to look further even without telling them you have a tilted uterus.

Im in pregnancy limbo/threatened m/c state now. they told me yesterday my sac was irregular but its measuring right on time.

I feel like my Dr doesnt know what she's doing she was trying to tell me I had an old pregnancy from last month!
babyuandme
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby bre0228 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:03 pm

Hi,

I'm new to the site, but your post has touched me because Im going through the same thing...I started spotting then days later when I wiped I would see blood so I put on a pad as a precaution..Called the doc did and pelvic evaulation and a u/s..they found nothing, stating i probably had miscarriage, that same day they drew blood and now Im anxiously waiting back for the results.. I really hope this is just a misdiagnosed miscarriage it would mean the world to me to have a bundle of joy.....

Thanks, Bre
bre0228
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories