Normal vs. abnormal pregnancy

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

Normal vs. abnormal pregnancy

Postby aileesmama » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:15 pm

My husband had been trying to get pregnant for almost a year when I discovered that I was pregnant. About six weeks in, I had my first checkup, everything was normal. However, about a week and a half later I began to spot some and was having lower back cramps, and since I had previously had a miscarriage about five years earlier, I called my doctor.
He told me that he thought I was having another miscarriage, and that I needed to have an ultrasound. I was freaking out, but the ultrasound showed a beautiful baby with a heartbeat, so I calmed down some. My doctor had me keep coming in every other day to monitor my HCG levels.
A few days later, they called me and told me that my levels were not rising as much as they should, and that they still thought I was having a miscarriage. At this point I was still very upset, the doctor was recommending a DNC and explaining the symptoms of a miscarriage. At that time I didn't have the internet, so I was reading book after book.
I mentally talked to the baby, and told the baby that if he/she wanted me to be his/her mommy, that he/she needed to hold on tight because I would love him/her so much. I took a few weeks off of work.
Days went by, I was still spotting some but it had subsided. So far, my pregnancy was progressing just like it should. At 12 weeks I breathed a sigh of relief, the worst was over.
Needless to say, I have a beautiful 3 year old daughter. At no point did I fully believe that I was going to lose her. I never believed the doctor. Probably every symptom I was having was normal, I just blew it out of proportion because I had the miscarriage before, and thought I was high risk. I am pregnant again, 8 weeks now. I have no symptoms this time around, aside from an increase in appetite and sore boobs. When the ultrasound technician did a TV ultrasound, she said that she saw a sac but no baby, and said that I probably didn't get pregnant when I thought I did. That kind of upset me, I was there, she wasn't. I know exactly when I got pregnant. I ignored her. The fact that I have a tilted uterus probably made it more difficult for her to find the baby. I am not going to freak out and stress myself more, because I know that not every pregnancy is the same and just because you spot a little doesn't mean that you are going to lose the baby. I am so thankful that I didn't go ahead and have the DNC. Never never do that unless you are 100% certain that there is no hope. Remember stress isn't good for a pregnant woman. Unless you are bleeding and cramping heavily, you are probably having a normal pregnancy. Sometimes doctors are quick to diagnose a miscarriage. Always trust your gut.
aileesmama
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:02 pm

I am so glad you shared your story. I must admit to feeling pretty fed up with these doctors recommending D&Cs when there is still a heartbeat. Those are the doctors to avoid!

By the way, I am with you. There was zero doubt about the conception date but the doctor kept insisting I had to be wrong. That really was just ridiculous.

I do hope you get the best of news soon on this new pregnancy :) Please, keep us updated!
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Postby aileesmama » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:14 pm

I think that they are quick to diagnose miscarriage when it's a completely normal pregnancy. I feel great, will post more at the next visit, I have another TV scheduled on the 27th.
aileesmama
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories