diagnosed blighted at 8 weeks - baby was found!!!!

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

diagnosed blighted at 8 weeks - baby was found!!!!

Postby workingon2 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:34 am

Just thought I'd share my story here! This site is was kept giving me hope in the first place!

I found out I was pregnant on March 3rd, and it was a humongous shock. I was very excited though. Because I have a long history of ovarian cysts and irregular periods, the clinic wanted to do a dating ultrasound ASAP to see how far I was. I went in on March 8th for a scan and the NP at the OB clinic doing my scan looked very concern. She did some measurements and told me that she could see the gestational sac but that there was no baby inside. She said that my gestational sac was measuring about 8 weeks and that since she couldnt find a baby, I had a blighted ovum. I was crushed. She discussed my options with me and I told her I would rather let nature take its course. I went on vacation the next day and every day I waited for the bleeding to start and my body to start passing the tissue. After 3 weeks, I was a little concerned that nothing had happened yet and put in a call to the NP, who did little other than brush me off and tell me that since I had no fever, bleeding, or pain she "didnt know what it was that I wanted them to do for me".

Well, yesterday I was having pretty severe left ovarian pain, so I went to the ER to have it checked out. I have a long history of cysts so this was nothing new. The U/S tech who did my scan in the ER started asking me questions about the dates and gestational sac size that the NP had given me, and when I asked why she said she couldnt tell me anything because she wasnt a doctor, but she turned the screen AND THERE WAS A BABY! I was so relieved I started crying. The doctor came in and told me that I was 9w and 6d along and that the baby had a strong heartbeat and everything looked fine. Not only were the people at the OB clinic wrong about my dates, but htey were a full 2 weeks off! I couldnt believe it!
workingon2
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby aisha » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:42 am

WOW!! This is touchy. I am happy for you. Congrats!!
aisha
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:39 am

I am so glad you found your baby. Keep in mind, if your uterus is at all tilted, your dates may not be off at all. Those babies generally look one to two weeks behind in those cases even when they are not. Don't be surprised if your 20-week ultrasound is more in keeping with your original dates.

Congratulations!!!
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories