My 10 Week Blighted Ovum Found at Nearly 12 Weeks!

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

My 10 Week Blighted Ovum Found at Nearly 12 Weeks!

Postby MommytoBe » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:13 pm

I found this site after being devastated at my 10 week appointment being told I was experiencing an in viable pregnancy. They went to find the baby�s heartbeat with Doppler. After not finding anything, the nurse said that was relatively normal, but that the doctor would probably find it during my exam. He began the exam and said that I felt small. He quickly did an emergency sonogram to try and find a heartbeat. They found nothing. No yolk sac or fetal pole. I had never heard of this, and didn�t understand everything the doctor was saying. He basically told me, it was an in viable pregnancy, and that I was once pregnant, but the body stopped developing the baby at a very early stage, most likely because of chromosomal abnormalities. He prescribed me the abortion pill and said that I could wait for a natural miscarriage, or take this pill to abort the tissues. I asked him if he was sure, and he told me that the first stage of this process was denial, but that I would miscarry in the near future. I had a really hard time accepting everything, so the doctor said we could schedule a sonogram two weeks out, just to double check everything.

After that I went home, searched the internet, and diagnosed myself as having a blighted ovum. I later confirmed my suspicions with my doctor. It was while I was searching the internet that I found this sight and read story after story of these girls that didn�t feel right about taking the pill, and several weeks later, they found their babies. This gave me hope. I decided not to take the pill and wait it out for a natural miscarriage. It was a heart wrenching, miserable, lonely experience and definitely was not easy.

At a little past 11 weeks I was still really sensitive to smell, gagging very easily, and using the bathroom quite frequently. I wondered if it was all in my head though. I decided to take an HCG test. After only taking one, I got a call from my doctor�s office the following day. They said my HCG levels were through the roof at 85,000 and that I needed to come in for an emergency sonogram the next day. They were afraid I was experiencing a molar pregnancy. Which can potentially be very harmful, toxic, or even cancerous. After reading about it, I began to get very nervous.

I went to get a sonogram the next day, and the technician found a perfectly healthy baby in seconds. I heard the heart beat and saw the baby kicking and squirming. What a wonderful and unexpected surprise. I can�t imagine the horror I would have gone through if I would have taken that pill. I think that every girl should just be patient and listen to your body instead of the doctor.

I never lost hope in my baby after reading this site. I didn�t want to build up false hopes, but somewhere in the back of my mind, I always knew there was a chance. I guess in the end, my baby was just playing an April Fool�s joke on me, because he/she finally showed up on April Fool�s day!
MommytoBe
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Jodi99581 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:34 pm

Wow, what an amazing story!!! You are giving me hope!! I am sorry that you had to go through all of that, but so thankful that you had a good outcome too!!!!!!! God Bless, Jodi
Jodi99581
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:06 pm

Wow, what a time of this you have had! I am so glad you found your baby and did not take that pill!

We've had a number of cases where doctors have misdiagnosed miscarriages after doing their own ultrasounds.

Congratulations!!! I hope you keep us updated on your pregnancy :)
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Postby jenany » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:12 pm

I am also very happy that you chose to wait instead of taking that pill - my doctor didn't give me one of those, thankfully, but I was ready to schedule a D & C right before they finally found my baby's heartbeat! I am now going into my 12th week (end of 1st trimester - yaay) ...

Wishing you and your little one many blessings :) :)
jenany
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Re: My 10 Week Blighted Ovum Found at Nearly 12 Weeks!

Postby swingfire » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:34 am

i registration in this web especially to say thank you
am glad to hear your story you give me a hope too
yesterday i went to do the U/L and told me the same thing an empty sac
am 10 weeks and 3 days , and still fell the pregnancy symptoms especially using the bathroom a lot
but i couldn't believe that there is no baby ,I swear god i feel something inside me
and something inside me said to wait for a few weeks
p.s : i have an appointment with my Dr tomorrow and i think she's going to give me pills but for sure am not going to take them am going to wait .
swingfire
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby set2wait » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:58 am

I really love your story. I also had 10 weeks U/S and found no heart beat. I am happy to read all this and have hope I will see my baby heart beat on next U/S.
Accept my heartiest congratulations on having your baby after long and miserable waiting.
cheers
set2wait
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Sandra Hinojosa » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:09 pm

I too am about 11 weeks but they see no baby yet. I started seeing black blood when I wiped but it got worse to were I had to wear a pad like for a light period so I went to the hospital (Saturday 7/31/10 ) and the Dr was really cruel. He even told me who had told me I was pregnant if their was no baby in sack. Well he stilled checked and found out that my cervix was close but had a leakage so he send me home and to go to my OBY on Monday. I really did not wanted to go see my Dr because of the hospital results but my bleeding worsen that afternoon so I went. As I arrived blood just started to come out. Finally the Dr sees and does vaginal ultrasound but sees an almost empty sac and gives me pills to finish it but I do not want to take them because I feel that my stomach is still growing and I feel movement. I really do not know if this is all in my head or what. I am 41 turning 42 in Sept. and had a miscarriage this past April. But this miscarriage does feel like the other one I had in April. I am scared and have read some wonderful stories but I need someone to tell how did they feel or what made them think that maybe their was still a baby after all that bad news. Please Help if you can. I do not know what to do? I hope you had your little miracle after all that happen.
Sandra Hinojosa
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby set2wait » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:20 am

Sandara,
i really feel for you.i am praying for you, May Allah give you comfort and calmness. See we don't have anything in our hands, Its all in God's hand, He know what is down there in our womb and its viable or not.

So be patience, its always good to have a healthy child rather abnormal one. SO pray to Him and He will give you what you wanted or best for you. Keep praying, no one can do anything Except Him.

Have good faith and miracles happen :) I am too believing on it. But i Know we are humans its very simple to say and hard to be done but at least we an give a try..

Made a smiley face not the sad one :) {This is what my 4 year daughter always says when i made sad face or tesned}

Cheers
set2wait
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Sandra Hinojosa » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:06 am

Thanks for your prayers. I will repost results after Aug. 19. I am going back to doctor to see if pill work the one I am not taking. I also plan to get a second opinion. How do you get your blood levels check every time you go to the doctor. I do not think they have done this but will ask.
Sandra Hinojosa
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby MommytoBe » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:18 pm

Thanks to everyone and your kind messages. We are so excited for the arrival of our little girl. I am currently 31 weeks along, and am gearing up to bring home the little princess. Everything has run smoothly and perfectly since the April Fool’s Day good news that the little one must have been hiding. Every time I go to the doctor they refer to my baby as “the one who might not have been.” I am truly blessed to have had such good fortune so far. We pray that everything runs smooth all the way until we get to take the little one home. Best of luck to all of you out there struggling with the same thing. It is very emotional and difficult, but don’t give up. I never did, and I couldn’t be more happy that I didn’t. :)8
MommytoBe
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:31 pm

I love updates! You're in the home stretch now. I still look at my now-seven-year-old daughter and get misty eyed over what might have been had I listened to my doctor. You'll always feel just a little more blessed than normal :)
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Postby MommytoBe » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:45 am

I definitely do! I can't even see her yet, but I know she is very special. And I'm extremely blessed. :)
MommytoBe
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby womanofhopeandfaith » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:31 pm

omy! i really hope my situation is similar to yours! i was diagnosed with a blighted ova at 10weeks and 6 days(11/4) according to LMP....they had my D&C scheduled for 11/6 but i asked them to give me two more weeks....if they dont see anything then we will discuss things further...i cried my eyes out at first but then i thought....at 6 weeks and 6 days they saw my baby and its heartbeat but now they dont see anything??? is that even possible??? i stopped my tears and prayed so long...i asked God to please not take this baby...this baby was planned and i really want it...i am holding on to hope and faith....and your stories have inspired me also
womanofhopeandfaith
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Horlick » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:50 am

I was told there is no heart beat and baby in week 8 today but I have all symptom like morning sickness and go to bathroom frequently. My doctor said I can take cytotec if I want or I can wait for a natural miscarriage. However, the doctor said it is not good if it doesn't come out naturally and stay in your body. Doctor told me there is cases they hear heartbeat and see the baby in week 9.I hope I will be the one of these cases.
Horlick
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Mander » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:40 pm

Hi Horlick,

I just wanted to give you some hope bout not seeing or hearing a heart beat.. Since i found im pregnant its been nothing but hard and depressing.. alot of these stories give u hope so im going to let u know that ur not alone.. I was told there was not heart beat by one doc was devastated and very upset went to the er that same night and they found one so have hope cuz they can always miss something.. i was 6 weeks 4 days at the time.. im suppost to be 9w3d today went today to a clinic but the doc refused to do blood work or an ultrasound based on my results from the hospital then she said i should wait to miscarry since the heart beat decreased. she did i kick exam by checking my cervix said it was still closed and no bleeding.. first time i went into er at 5w6d for spotting they found a heart rate of 104 second time was after that doc told me the baby wasnt growing (this was a follow up i was told to do by er cuz of the spotting) n i should do a d&c or take a pill and it turned out the baby was measuring 6w4d my hormone increased from 42000 to 65000 but the heart rate was lower then the first time, 81 ..but she said it could b from crying and all the stress, that gave me hope. but today went to clinic lady said i had a bump in my uterus but didnt feel large enough for 9w3d unless i have a tiny uterus... doctors have to tell u the worst that could happen cuz that is all ive been getting... so keep ur hope and have faith even though its hard ... girl im going crazy but i still feel pregnant they told me the same things all ultrasounds but im waiting to c.. i refuse to do a d&c or take a pill ... the doctors said if it is a missed miscarraige ull still have same symptoms uterus and sack will still grow but not the baby n eventually ull get an infection... sounds messed up but im waiting for that point
Mander
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby FaithChangesThings » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:53 am

Your story was so uplifting! I have exactly the same situation no fetus in the sac at 10wks but my next apt is at 12 wks.... i hope to see a change for the better!
FaithChangesThings
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby bebkam » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:56 am

Thanks for sharing your story it truly gives me hope at this time as I too have being diagnosed with a Blighted Ovum last week at 9 weeks. However I have a tilted uterus as well as Fibroids so I am not accepting this diagnosis too quickliy. They did see a sac but an empty one, which the lady taking the sonogram told me is causing her quite a challenge to see anything. I am due for another ultrasound in 2 days time which I thought was too quick and wanted to wait at least another week but my doctor insist so I will see what happen. I am trusting the Lord that I will see a heartbeat then as this anxiety is a real killer waiting.
bebkam
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby fjsmommy » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:41 pm

@ faithchangesthings...my LMP reads im 9w4d my empty sac in my uterus reads 6w2days...I have another ultrasound on the 31 st of Dec to see if there is still no baby. If there isnt that I have an option of a d&c or take a pill to force a miscarriage. I'm praying and having faith that they will find a baby with a strong heartbeat on the 31st. Just want to see of anyone else has gone thru this or is going thru this unfortunate matter. I hope I'm not alone :/
fjsmommy
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories