Misscarriage? not so fast! doctor is baffled...

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

Misscarriage? not so fast! doctor is baffled...

Postby ChrisMc » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:02 pm

Hi there, I first want to say that I'm so glad that I found this site, and all of the wonderful people on it. Just reading all the stories made the past week bearable for me, and the men's page helped my husband understand what all these things mean. I've never posted or blogged before, but I felt strongly to share my story, and let others know that there is hope out there.

Our Story: We've had a couple "chemical pregnancies" due to low progesterone, but nothing that our doc's have termed a "miscarriage", until this scare. We have one very healthy child and have had to do infertility treatments with both of our babies.

LMP Feb 2, 2010
IUI Feb 15&16th
NEGATIVE HPT Feb 26th
POSITITIVE HPT Feb 28th
POSITIVE PT (at the doctor's office) March 1

HcG: March 1st-33
March 4th-52
March 9th-224
March 23rd-5184
(so as you can see, my HcG is really low, and not doubling)

On March 23rd my doc did the first US and my last HcG test. The results weren't promising. My HcG wasn't doubling, nor high enough for a 7week fetus. There was no Heartbeat, and the fetal pole and sac both measured the size of a 5week old fetus. The doctor suggested a D&C for that very same week, since he was pretty sure that the baby hadn't made it, and had stopped growing 2 weeks prior. I was so shocked! We had just assumed everything was going well, and my husband had just decided at the last minute to take some time off of work to come with me (thank God he did!).

We made the decision to wait a week and see what happened. I felt really strongly that if there was ANY hope at all, that I'd have to let the pregnancy keep going and give the baby every chance that I could. If the doctor was sure that the baby wasn't alive, then we would just let nature take it's course, so to speak.

Well we went back yesterday, and all of our prayers have been answered. The baby's heartbeat showed up, and had exactly one week's worth of growth, now measuring at 6weeks. The doctor said something to the effect of that we must have gotten pregnant naturally after the IUI, but I can tell you with 100% certaintly that that's not the case :) The doctor is (in his words) flabbergasted, and has no idea how the baby could be 2weeks younger than predicted. I just thank god that the US showed a heartbeat at 6weeks!

I asked him if my husband's little guys could have taken a road trip around my Uterus after the IUI, and asked how long it can actually take for implantation.....could this explain the 2 week difference? He said "don't question it, just be happy". I am, trust me, but I want to know what's going on with my baby and my body.

So basically, just remember, guidelines are guidelines, if your pregnancy isn't cookie cutter, that doesn't always mean that something is wrong, and Doctor's seem eager to jump to the misscariage diagnosis without exhausting every avenue available to them. I even asked my Doctor to do another HcG during the week I was waiting for my next US (to see if my numbers were increasing at all, and keep me sane) but he refused. This is YOUR BODY, and YOUR BABY, fight for your rights with your doctor, and believe in yourself and your feelings.
ChrisMc
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby aisha » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:50 pm

Wow, truly God is Great!! Im so happy to hear the news. Anyway, Congrats!!!
aisha
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:15 pm

I am so happy for you but, honestly, nothing really looked wrong. He really should not have worried you and, oh my goodness, he should never have suggested a D&C. We have babies that look one to two weeks behind all the time here as you've read. It's common. It does not mean anything other than the ultrasound equipment that they believe is perfect is not! :) Your levels had a three-day doubling time which is terrific. It is a myth that they need to double in 48 hours.

I know your doctor is flabbergasted but I suspect he has done this to more than a few women. You may want to consider another doctor. Hopefully, he's learned a lesson here.

Congratulations!!!
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Postby InLimbo » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:51 pm

My now one year old son measured 2 weeks behind his entire pregnancy...And he was born before his due date AND his adjusted due date. Maybe it's just a little baby. Now that everything looks good, congrats! And I hope the rest of your pregnancy is boring. :)

My current pregnancy is also measuring a week behind so far...Again, maybe a little baby?
InLimbo
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories